Isobel, Annabel or Keeva?

(34 Posts)
angeltattoo Thu 10-Jan-13 09:23:53

Expecting a baby girl in April and this is my current shortlist.

I love Isobel, but am concerned about how popular it is. Annabel would be a nod to my mum's name so a potential compromise. I also love Caoimhe (irish name, pronounced Keeva) so I suppose the question is...

... Would you rather be one of 20 3 Isobels in your class, or have a name you have to spell out for people every day of your life? grin

Thoughts appreciated!

angeltattoo Sat 12-Jan-13 14:18:36

Bloody hell. Fancied an Irish first name for her, as my Husband's (and now mine) surname is English.

angeltattoo Sat 12-Jan-13 12:25:18

Irish surname

angeltattoo Sat 12-Jan-13 12:24:50

Thank all and trills

Surname is English and easy to spell, that's one of the reasons I fancied an English name, as I changed my lovely Irish name when we got married.

emblosion Fri 11-Jan-13 23:41:39

It's 'Keeva' in the North, 'Kweeva' down south I think.

I really like it fwiw but dh has vetoed because he has trouble spelling it (we're in NI)

DitzyDonkeySillyMonkey Fri 11-Jan-13 17:48:07

I'm Irish and Caimhe is NOT pronounced Keeva.....it's Kwee Va. it's super popular in Ireland!

thegreylady Fri 11-Jan-13 16:57:45

All lovely but Annabel is my favourite

Minty82 Fri 11-Jan-13 16:55:03

I absolutely love Caoimhe, and would have had it on my list but I'm not quite Irish enough to get away with it. The other two are pretty, but Caoimhe's one of my all-time favourites.

wigglesrock Fri 11-Jan-13 12:09:54

atthewelles Its pronounced Keeva where I live, in NI. Always has been , I went to school with quite a few.

Caoimhe is a lovely name but I love Isobel, always have done. I'm a bit meh about Annabel but I love Anna.

atthewelles Fri 11-Jan-13 11:09:12

Caoimhe is actually pronounced 'Kweeva' not 'Keeva'.

Luckyluckyme Fri 11-Jan-13 10:28:46

*so not do.

Luckyluckyme Fri 11-Jan-13 10:26:32

Caoimhe is lovely. Names like Niamh were a pita for people years ago but now most people can spell it. I'm sure it will be the same for names like Caoimhe.

Will she have an easily spelled surname so she doesn't have to spell both?

I have a pita name that has to be spelled nearly everytime I'm on the phone. When I worked in an office I had to spell it 10 times a day but at least my surname was common do that was never a problem grin

Trills Fri 11-Jan-13 10:15:49

Caoimhe comes in at 5 or so smile

Trills Fri 11-Jan-13 10:14:46

1 - Annabel
2 - Isobel
10 - Keeva

zenoushka Fri 11-Jan-13 09:57:30

I love the name Isobel so much!

angeltattoo Thu 10-Jan-13 15:25:46

startsnadunicorns how horrible for her sad

Thanks everyone, interesting to hear other people's thoughts, much appreciated thanks

Welovecouscous Thu 10-Jan-13 14:45:09

I grew up in England with a C (can't spell sorry) but pronounced keefer (to rhyme with reefer

TheSecondComing Thu 10-Jan-13 14:44:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squoosh Thu 10-Jan-13 14:43:11

Chartreuse I'm the opposite, I hate when I hear Caoimhe pronounced Keeva, to me it's always Kweeva. But yes, I know both pronunciations are legit.

I think it would be a total bum ache for a child growing up in England to be called Caoimhe.

salvadory Thu 10-Jan-13 14:35:17

Caoimhe. It's really pretty and of course you can use outside of Ireland. 10 years ago people used to think Niamh was 'out there', now it's pretty much mainstream. People only have to be told once how to pronounce a name. Please don't use Keeva as it really cheapens the name. Stick to your guns. Isobel is lovely but everywhere and fwiw I prefer Anna to Annabel.

Geranium3 Thu 10-Jan-13 14:35:05

definitely isobel,such a beautiful and timeless name

WhereMyMilk Thu 10-Jan-13 14:21:24

Isabel would be my choice, very pretty with a lovely soft sound to it. I wouldn't care about popularity. Name her as you like. She will be your daughter so her name will suit your thoughts and dreams for her.

Knows someone with the name Annabel and was bullied at school due to it the bel bit was used to call her big ben clangabell and quoismoded( sp) the hunchbuck in the film. They used to shout the bells the bells. It was horrid to hear

Unicorn007 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:49:05

Think Annabel is beautiful!

AmberLeaf Thu 10-Jan-13 12:40:33

I like the sound of Caoimhe, but I think 99% of people will not know how to pronounce it.

Isobel is lovely.

chartreuse Thu 10-Jan-13 12:38:48

Annabel is beautiful

Sorry to say Caoimhe is my all time most hated Irish name (I am Irish) There is something about it that sounds like nails on a blackboard to me, particularly if it's pronounced Kweeva <shudder>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now