Cordelia, Florence, Clementine, Beatrix

(38 Posts)
DitzyDonkeySillyMonkey Wed 09-Jan-13 13:13:23

Which one do you prefer and why? smile None of these are popular in my country! grin

MarmaladeSkies Wed 09-Jan-13 19:42:41

Cordelia is lovely.Florence is nice.

Clementine and Beatrix are awful.

WidowWadman Wed 09-Jan-13 19:49:01

I have a Cordelia and would prefer it to not become too popular, so take one of the others. wink

dizzydixies Wed 09-Jan-13 19:51:38

Lol WidowWadman - very true grin

DitzyDonkeySillyMonkey Wed 09-Jan-13 19:58:10

Dizzy and widow what kind of reactions do you get to Cordelia?

ScrambledSmegs Wed 09-Jan-13 19:59:57

Traditionally it's Clemen-tyne, as in the song. But tbh it probably doesn't matter how you pronounce it, as long as you like it.

dizzydixies Wed 09-Jan-13 20:02:06

I would've used Clementine and used the nn tiny smile

Ditzy - mized bag - some love it some a tad hmm We don't care!

Astley Thu 10-Jan-13 17:06:36

Clementine is a fruit. Really terrible for nicknames too. She would be Clammy Clemmy or Phelgmy Clemmy. Plus it's a fruit, it'll be like having grape or satsuma.

I love Cordelia, I only know one but I think it's gorgeous and very underused.

Astley Thu 10-Jan-13 17:07:52

Did I mention, it's a fruit grin

shoobidoo Fri 11-Jan-13 10:35:52

I love Clementine and Cordelia. Lovely, classic and underused.

Who cares if a fruit has the same name? Rosemary, Poppy, Lily, Rowan, Daisy, Charlotte (potatoes), are all also used for foods, does it really matter? They are still lovely names!

SVN Fri 11-Jan-13 21:57:50

The name came before the fruit.

ZooAnimals Fri 11-Jan-13 22:52:12

I think the name Adolf came before Hitler, but nonetheless that's what it makes me think of. Just like clementine makes me think of fruit.

I think naming your child after a flower is somehow more acceptable than a fruit shoobidoo. Do you really think there is no difference between DD's calles Rose, Lily and Poppy and DD's called Grape, Banana and Pear?! I think Charlotte is ok because we don't call them 'Charlottes' we call them Potatoes. If someone was considering naming their child Potato, I would advise them against it (although Spud is a sweet nn).

DitzyDonkeySillyMonkey Fri 11-Jan-13 23:03:36

But grape, banana and pear were Not name before they were fruit!! Clementine was a name before it was given as a name to the fruit!!

Astley Sat 12-Jan-13 08:59:19

Yes but now it is so sinonimos with the fruit that I think it would be the same as grape or banana. When I'm in the supermarket I regularily ask the DC if they want clementines or apples for their lunchbox... It's just weird now to have it as a name.

Plus what do you do at Christmas?! this year I bought DS's teacher 'Cranberry and Clementine' cookies from M&S for a present. We had Xmas pudding with 'slices of clementine' on the outside. We even had clementine Bucks fizz and the DC each had a clementine in their stocking! ALL of this had 'clementine' on the packaging in giant letters advertising it was a fruit....

You've got to admit when someone says do you like clementine? Most people will be thinking 'ummm yes, but I think satsumas are sweeter' etc. I just wouldn't give my daughter a name that had so much potential for teasing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now