Evadne?

(12 Posts)
williaminajetfighter Tue 08-Jan-13 22:21:59

Your child will spend their whole life looking for a missing vowel!

atthewelles Tue 08-Jan-13 16:36:02

I also thought of the Chalet School and Hinge and Bracket. I think its a name that qualifies as 'dated' as opposed to 'old fashioned'.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 07-Jan-13 18:23:52

I remember Hinge and Bracket but I wouldn't let that put me off the name Evadne. That comedy duo were on tv around the 1980/90s and one of them died ten years' ago. Would anyone around the age of 30 really know or care?

Selks Mon 07-Jan-13 17:35:24

How about Ariadne?

SchmancyPants Mon 07-Jan-13 17:20:05

Oh lord! Ok then, will avoid. What a shame. I like Evangeline- thank you!

FloatyBeatie Mon 07-Jan-13 14:03:27

Noooo! Definitely more time needs to pass for the Hinge and Bracket associations to die away. About three more decades to be safe. Hinge and Bracket were a female impersonation act, with two outrageously upper-class elderly women, played by men and indulging in relentless sexual innuendo.

Floralnomad Mon 07-Jan-13 14:02:21

I think if you're over a certain age you will definitely think Hinge and Brackett , please look them up on google before you name this child! What about Evangeline / Evangelina as alternatives.

SchmancyPants Mon 07-Jan-13 13:59:48

I don't even know who or what Hinge and Brackett are blush ! I didn't make the vadge connection either. Still loving the name though- anyone else think it's nice, or is it just me?!

ZolaBuddleia Mon 07-Jan-13 12:59:08

Makes me think of Hinge and Brackett too. And vadge. blush

Evelyn?

cuillereasoupe Mon 07-Jan-13 11:38:14

I thought Hinge and Brackett too. That probably makes us about a million years old though wink

meditrina Mon 07-Jan-13 07:17:44

I think of it as a Chalet School name, and half of Hinge and Brackett. I think it's a lovely name, but I'm not sure how useable it really is - old fashioned, but not necessarily in a good way yet.

SchmancyPants Mon 07-Jan-13 07:14:34

I saw Evadne on the cast list for an old film over Christmas and thought it was lovely. I remember it from old Enid Blyton-type novels as well! What do you all think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now