Evadne?

(12 Posts)
SchmancyPants Mon 07-Jan-13 07:14:34

I saw Evadne on the cast list for an old film over Christmas and thought it was lovely. I remember it from old Enid Blyton-type novels as well! What do you all think?

meditrina Mon 07-Jan-13 07:17:44

I think of it as a Chalet School name, and half of Hinge and Brackett. I think it's a lovely name, but I'm not sure how useable it really is - old fashioned, but not necessarily in a good way yet.

cuillereasoupe Mon 07-Jan-13 11:38:14

I thought Hinge and Brackett too. That probably makes us about a million years old though wink

ZolaBuddleia Mon 07-Jan-13 12:59:08

Makes me think of Hinge and Brackett too. And vadge. blush

Evelyn?

SchmancyPants Mon 07-Jan-13 13:59:48

I don't even know who or what Hinge and Brackett are blush ! I didn't make the vadge connection either. Still loving the name though- anyone else think it's nice, or is it just me?!

Floralnomad Mon 07-Jan-13 14:02:21

I think if you're over a certain age you will definitely think Hinge and Brackett , please look them up on google before you name this child! What about Evangeline / Evangelina as alternatives.

FloatyBeatie Mon 07-Jan-13 14:03:27

Noooo! Definitely more time needs to pass for the Hinge and Bracket associations to die away. About three more decades to be safe. Hinge and Bracket were a female impersonation act, with two outrageously upper-class elderly women, played by men and indulging in relentless sexual innuendo.

SchmancyPants Mon 07-Jan-13 17:20:05

Oh lord! Ok then, will avoid. What a shame. I like Evangeline- thank you!

Selks Mon 07-Jan-13 17:35:24

How about Ariadne?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 07-Jan-13 18:23:52

I remember Hinge and Bracket but I wouldn't let that put me off the name Evadne. That comedy duo were on tv around the 1980/90s and one of them died ten years' ago. Would anyone around the age of 30 really know or care?

atthewelles Tue 08-Jan-13 16:36:02

I also thought of the Chalet School and Hinge and Bracket. I think its a name that qualifies as 'dated' as opposed to 'old fashioned'.

williaminajetfighter Tue 08-Jan-13 22:21:59

Your child will spend their whole life looking for a missing vowel!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now