Place names that make good boys names

(83 Posts)
candr Sun 06-Jan-13 21:33:41

I am not thinking of Paris, Brookyln etc but or DS is named after a small village in the north with a slight spelling change. Any interesting place names you think would work for a boy, don't have to be from this country but not one you need to pronounce with an accent. Awaiting with interest smile

popsicle1984 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:34:38

Chester

crikeybadger Sun 06-Jan-13 21:35:43

Somerset
Devon.

Norfolk

Coll
Arran
Kyle
Keith
Leslie
Harris
Lewis

PrincessOfChina Sun 06-Jan-13 21:40:44

I know of a Hallam (as in Sheffield) which I think is kinda cool.

katolla Sun 06-Jan-13 21:43:50

Nempnett Thrubwell?

notnagging Sun 06-Jan-13 21:45:01

I knew a Finchley. That was nice & got called Finch for short

VictorAndBarry Sun 06-Jan-13 21:46:35

Lewis
Coll
Arran
kendall
Aston

candr Sun 06-Jan-13 21:47:12

Crikey and Katolla made me laugh - reminded me I met brothers called Devon and Ambrose before. Their mum had real cravings for custard both pregnancies. I prefer the names that don't already seem like a name.

popsicle1984 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:53:17

notnagging Finch just makes me think 'Shit break'!

As in American Pie.... don't know if that's stating the obvious or not!

BikeRunSki Brazil Sun 06-Jan-13 22:06:35

Denby
Dale
Tobermory
Coniston has always sounded like a man's name to me
Ashton
Leigh
Beverly
Willerby

Popsicle Me too grin

ladymariner Sun 06-Jan-13 22:21:03

finch = The Office.....

seeker Sun 06-Jan-13 22:22:54

Or you could actually call him a name designed for people? Rather than a town or a dog or a geographical feature?

cece Sun 06-Jan-13 22:24:53

Orinocho
Wellington
Bulgaria
Tomsk

grin

Ladymuck Sun 06-Jan-13 22:32:36

Ds1 was nearly called Carrickfergus, but that was after many hours of gas and air and morphine. His birth certificate contains a far more conservative selection of names.

Orlando

Arf @ Wellington! grin imaging shouting that in the park haha!

I think town names that already sound like names rather than ones that don't would be better...imagine in 20 years time, your DS introducing himself to his new colleagues as Middelfart Smith (real town in Denmark) or something else that equally doesn't sound like a name?

Ashton
Leigh
Devon

All nice names and names of places...

JollyGolightly Sun 06-Jan-13 22:36:56

Forres, Nairn, Jericho, Rio, Lundy, Sydney

amck5700 Sun 06-Jan-13 22:43:59

That's how we attempted to name our kids - we were really struggling,so we just stuck a pin in a map (of Scotland) No 1 son was almost Ross or Moray or Blaven, he ended up Craig. with No2 son we kept getting the tops of Mountains so we flirted with Cairn for a few days - but weren't quite brave enough as it sound a bit like Karin (pr Kay rin - the name of a female friend) in our accent.

VBisme Sun 06-Jan-13 22:48:58

I like Devon, Harris and Lewis, but can't really say any of the others sound like a good idea to me.

I know a child called Arran, I assumed his parents couldn't spell properly.

seeker Sun 06-Jan-13 22:49:15

We amused ourselves with places of conception for a while- but we decided that Cahirciveen and Arbutus Lodge would be a bit hard to live with.....

spudmurphy Sun 06-Jan-13 22:52:00

Seeker it could have been worse-
Lyracompane or
Termonfeckingrin

amck5700 Sun 06-Jan-13 22:54:13

It's actually not that unusual to be named after a place in Scotland - back in the days when every 2nd person was called Donald or whatever - naming them by the village or street or hill they lived near became a way of telling the various ones apart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now