What do you think of the name darcey?

(46 Posts)
BusyBee86 Sun 06-Jan-13 19:02:59

I have decided I love the name darcey for a girl....but how would you spell it? Darcey, Darcie or darcy?

TheKindnessOfStrangers Sun 06-Jan-13 20:26:13

Is it your dad's surname or his first name, Oranges?

Onezerozero Sun 06-Jan-13 20:27:59

Where I live, Darcy/Darcey is dead common very popular but I do think it is a quirk. I don't really hear it much elsewhere.

Well I love it, but then again DD2 (6) is called Darcy grin

Please don't let it get as popular as Isabelle/Emma/Maya/Anya, one of the things I love about it is that it is a bit out-of-the-ordinary!

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Sun 06-Jan-13 20:32:27

Um, no Remus. It's my Dad's first name but is traced back to a maternal surname.
I love the idea that my Dad is chavvy, Kindness, I will have to pass that on to him.

PostmanPatsBlackandWhiteCat Sun 06-Jan-13 20:34:03

I like Austin but it makes me think of an old wrestler

TheKindnessOfStrangers Sun 06-Jan-13 20:34:38

I think it was different for your dad's generation Oranges. Names start out posh and elite then get appropriated by the masses.

VBisme Sun 06-Jan-13 20:35:44

Oranges, why is your dad named after your mums family?

Do you live in a small rural community? grin

Kendodd Sun 06-Jan-13 20:36:01

Oh dear, I have a Darcy, (age 8) she's the only one in the school, and the only one we know. I hope it doesn't become popular.

TheKindnessOfStrangers Sun 06-Jan-13 20:39:49

Have just read that Darcy is Irish Gaelic and means "dark", and D'Arcy is derived from a Norman place name meaning "from Arcy". So there you go, both 'proper' names, but I still prefer Darcy.

KittyBreadfan Sun 06-Jan-13 20:40:33

Darcy or Darcie for a girl I would say. Its pretty I like it.

No what? It may be your dad's first name, but as you say it's actually from an original surname. Interesting stuff about spellings here.

Oranges, there are several variants of 'Darcy' - 'D'Arcy / Darsey / Darcey / Darsy'. And 'Darcie' is specifically a girls name and is French, unlike the former which are gaelic. there is no 'right spelling', there are several options, that is all.

Happymum22 Mon 07-Jan-13 01:03:27

Darcey and
Love it!

OkayHazel Mon 07-Jan-13 01:27:47

Hate it with the e.

Hate it on a girl.

LOVE it on a boy.

sleepywombat Mon 07-Jan-13 01:36:42

I think its ok for a boy. Think its horrible for a girl - so many pretty names to choose from, why use an ugly surname?

My friend called her son Darcy because she loved Pride & Prejudice!

Mu1berryBush Mon 07-Jan-13 01:38:06

Beyond horrible.

Much prefer Dulcie

popsicle1984 Mon 07-Jan-13 06:00:40

Darcy, Darcey and Darcie are all near the top 100 so added together very, very popular!

SomersetONeil Mon 07-Jan-13 06:44:18

D'Arcy as a male, family-originated name is one thing. To give it to a girl/woman is, I'd have thought, another matter altogether... hmm

Darcy/Darcey/Darcie, while not my taste at all, are all perfectly legitimate female name spellings.

Darcey Bussell, f'instance......

SomersetONeil Mon 07-Jan-13 06:46:04

I mean, it's like me coming on and saying, 'my name is Isobel. Take it from me - I should know - this is the ONLY spelling. Anyone who spells it differently is deluded and incorrect'.

Arrogant in the extreme...

peanutMD Mon 07-Jan-13 06:51:23

I know a 3yo male Darcy and a 6yo female Darcey.

It is not a name I like but nor do I dislike.

There is no right way to spell one name.

MysteryCat Mon 07-Jan-13 08:53:50

I love the name and had it on my list but DH vetoed it on the grounds that it 'sounded like a boy's name'. I think it's getting much more popular for girls though. Personally I would spell it Darcey for a girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now