Really like Henry but already have a Harry - help!

(133 Posts)
Spellcheck Sat 05-Jan-13 10:32:33

Please can I have some opinions on this! Expecting my DC4 (DP's 1st) in a few weeks. It's a boy, and we are really stuck for names. I am a teacher and therefore most names remind me of some of the children I teach so I don't want them as they are already 'taken' IYSWIM. The only name we really, really like is Henry.

However, my first son is Harry. It's a name in it's own right, I didn't call him Henry and shorten it, so surely as they will both have different surnames, it would be ok to call DS2 Henry?? Some friends have called the idea into question, and now I've thought about it so much I can't think straight.

What would you think if a friend did it? Or should I say sod what everyone thinks and go for it anyway?

CheeseStrawWars Thu 10-Jan-13 14:32:46

Oh, it's sweet your DS came up with the name. What about Henrik? Henry as a nickname? (Bit tenuous?)

RubyGates Thu 10-Jan-13 07:45:48

It was common to give at least the first couple of boys the same first (usually the father's) name and call them different diminutives because noone expected both to live to adulthood and reproduce.

WE have ancestors in the 19th century with two sons called Israel but only one survived sad

Harry and Henry are the same name. To me it feels as if your replacing DS1 with DS2 by using the same name. Will you call a third Hal?

Even if your ds1 is fine with essentially having his brother named after him, you've no way of knowing how ds2 would feel about it. As a middle name it's fine, but give him his own name too.

Also, unless I were introduced to them together I'd probably spend ages trying to figure out which boy was Henry aka Harry, and what the other brother was called.

CheerfulYank Thu 10-Jan-13 04:43:59

Definitely wouldn't.

they are the same name

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 09-Jan-13 23:30:46

You can't have Henry and harry! That's like having Lizzie and Elizabeth!

MoottonBun Wed 09-Jan-13 23:29:43

NotLongUntilXmas - I am dying to know what your daughters' similar names are - can't think of anything significantly different for English/French equivalents, please share!

TameGaloot Wed 09-Jan-13 22:08:45

Narked
Really? Everything I've seen says that Harry or Herry were the medieval pronunciations of Henry which is from Heimirich / Heinrich as is Henri/ Henricus

StrawberryMojito Wed 09-Jan-13 20:12:20

grin

PickledInAPearTree Mon 07-Jan-13 22:49:56

Noooooooooooooooo

grin

Pancakeflipper Mon 07-Jan-13 20:39:06

Was she called MintyMojito?

StrawberryMojito Mon 07-Jan-13 19:38:22

My younger half sister was given a variation on my name. I was not and still am not impressed. Don't do it OP.

Pancakeflipper Mon 07-Jan-13 19:26:32

No.

In our family you wouldn't use John and Jack as my Grandpa's proper name was John but known as Jack as his less formal name...

ZooAnimals Mon 07-Jan-13 19:15:37

As the OP and her family clearly view Henry and Harry as two seperate names, I don't think the younger DC will grow up feeling he has been named after his brother and feel pressure to 'live up' to him.

AuntieShirley Mon 07-Jan-13 16:33:47

Also, I don't think I would like to be the younger sibling and feel as though I had been named after a big brother. I would feel as though Iwas supposed to be living up to something.

persephoneplum Mon 07-Jan-13 14:08:17

I wouldn't even use Hamish and James for brothers let alone Harry and Henry.

And my son Felix thinks it's a great idea to call his baby brother Fox because it's so similar to his own name. Um no. I'm the parent, I name the baby (even though I love Fox, it's too similar).

I personally don't give a fig about democratic naming practices - my son will name a baby when he has one himself. Just because it was his suggestion doesn't make it a good one.

Narked Mon 07-Jan-13 13:11:52

Root wise they are different - Harry from Harold and Henry from Henri - but they're seen as too closely related now to use both.

finchale Mon 07-Jan-13 13:07:05

I wouldn't do this - it would be a bit different if ds1 was Henry, and happy not to use the nickname Harry -
but if you call ds2 Henry, then he cannot use the nickname Harry, even though many Henrys do use Harry as a less formal version of their name.

SpanishLady Mon 07-Jan-13 12:48:47

I have a Henry and we call him Harry - I really wouldnt do what you are suggesting.

sonnieboo Mon 07-Jan-13 12:16:56

I honestly would not name one of my sons Henry if I already had one called Harry, sorry. Wouldn't your son Harry feel a little annoyed with having to share his name with his little brother? Wouldn't it be nicer for both of them to have their OWN name?

confuddledDOTcom Mon 07-Jan-13 01:32:35

Harry is already starting to be called Henry officially. I remember my feed going mad with idiots going "Prince Henry? His name's Harry!" during Olympics ceremony (I think?)

QOD Mon 07-Jan-13 01:19:40

They'll be 14yrs apart., never at same school etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

My Dh has 3 siblings . Without actually giving their real names they are the equivalent of

Julia
Julian
Patricia
Patrick

its mental to be fair, but who cares

echidnakid Mon 07-Jan-13 00:50:18

I don't think of them as the same name but they sound too similar to give to siblings, sorry! Henry is a spectacular name so I feel your pain but I definitely think you have to choose something else.

TalkativeJim Mon 07-Jan-13 00:09:18

They're the same name!

Yes many people see Harry as now standalone but - they are the same name. Harry is the nickname for Henry. I know two Henrys who are known as Harry, and of course there's the Playboy Prince grin

Don't do it.

I think it would be v silly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now