Think we've got a shortlist - please can you give your opinions

(25 Posts)
signuptoday Fri 04-Jan-13 22:26:18

Our shortlist (so far) for DD includes:
Jasmine
Ellen
Martha
Megan

Lucklily, Dh and I have agreed quite easily on the shortlist but now don't know how to whittle it down to the final choice. We would like to decide before DD arrives though.

We want something that is classic and won't date and that doesn't indicate one social class or another. Your opinions are very much appreciated.

ArthurandGeorge Fri 04-Jan-13 22:28:25

Ellen and Martha are my definite favourites and I think fit best with what you want from a name.

Ah Martha was one of my favs when I was pregnant but DH vetoed it, luckily we didn't need it as DS is a boy grin

rhondajean Fri 04-Jan-13 22:29:55

I love Ellen, it was my wee granny's name and is one if dd1s middle names, she may have been called Ellen but it sounds awful with our surname.

jkklpu Fri 04-Jan-13 22:30:10

Wait to see your baby before you decide, honestly.
I like Martha best.

Dandelion75 Fri 04-Jan-13 22:30:33

Martha is lovely - classy and underused. Reminds me Martha Wainwright, who is fabulous!
I like Ellen, but not so keen on Megan.
Jasmine is a bit princessy IMO.

Allalonenow Fri 04-Jan-13 22:30:33

Ellen is the name which best fulfils your requirements.

rhondajean Fri 04-Jan-13 22:31:15

Not Megan btw if you want classic and timeless

Martha is my favourite, by a long way.

onthemetro Fri 04-Jan-13 22:33:40

I love Martha and Ellen. I think Martha Ellen works really well too, as a first name & middle name. Ellen goes well with pretty much anything as a middle name I feel grin Mary Ellen is a name many women in my family have been given over the years (have just finished doing my family tree and its popped up SO many times) and I think it's very beautiful

fishcalledwonder Fri 04-Jan-13 22:33:42

Love Ellen. It is DD's middle name.

signuptoday Fri 04-Jan-13 22:35:18

Thanks so far.

Hi rhondajean I detect you many have Welsh connections and therefore perhaps be knowledgable about the Megan! Can I ask why you think Megan isn't timeless?

DessieLou Sat 05-Jan-13 04:37:06

Definitely Ellen, gorgeous name. Was on our list for dd and will be keeping it in reserve in case there's a dd2 one day!

Autumnalis Sat 05-Jan-13 04:39:26

Ellen is very nice.

Ellen and Martha are both lovely. My sister was married to a Welshman and wanted a Welsh name for their DD. He vetoed Megan as he considered it a dog's name. Have no idea whether this is true but I suspect it is one of those 'old lady' names yet to make come back.

mathanxiety Sat 05-Jan-13 04:50:54

I only like Jasmine from your list.

Megan and Martha I especially dislike.

Ellen is a very early 90s name imo.

mathanxiety Sat 05-Jan-13 04:57:01

There were hundreds of Megans/Meghans in the area of the US where I lived. A lot of them had sisters named Michaela. Their parents were wannabe Irish and believed both names were Irish. Put me off Megan (and Meghan) entirely. The supposedly Irish 'GH' combination also found its way into names like Loghann ('Logan'), Teaghan ('Tegan') and Keaghan ('Keegan'). I would never identify it as classic or timeless. Just sorta sad.

I live in Wales & think Megan is pretty & timeless. Know a few, all sorts of ages, & Meg is a lovely nickname.

ravenAK Sat 05-Jan-13 05:04:17

I'd go with Martha or Ellen.

Megan & Jasmine have both been very popular for at least 15 years by now, judging by my GCSE classes; nothing wrong with that, both nice names, but if you're after something that won't date go with one of the others.

lou4791 Sat 05-Jan-13 08:00:53

I'd also go for Martha or Ellen for the reasons above. I really love Martha... my favourite girl name, but couldn't use it as already have an Arthur. My advice would be to see how you feel after she is born. We were down to our favourite 5 girls names when our DD was born. In the end we still found it hard to decide, so DH and I each did a secret marking system from 1-5 and then compared. We both had the same top 2 but opposite way around. Mine won over in the end (smile).

smother Sat 05-Jan-13 09:10:18

They are all lovely! Can't go wrong. I'd wait till she comes along to decide, it focuses the mind to see the baby in the flesh!

baskingseals Sat 05-Jan-13 12:56:04

I only like Jasmine.

lottiegarbanzo Sat 05-Jan-13 13:26:07

They are all nice but I wouldn't quite describe any as classic, perhaps Ellen, certainly not Jasmine. Megan was fashionable 15-20 years ago, Martha more so now but not to a huge extent.

Also, I while I like Jasmine the best I think it probably does indicate social class in many areas, having slipped downwards in those terms in recent years (along with Jessica, whcih surprised me).

mija1 Sun 06-Jan-13 19:11:55

Martha because most people don't have it

AuntieShirley Sun 06-Jan-13 23:07:52

Martha or Ellen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now