Emilia or Abigail?

(19 Posts)
manicinsomniac Brazil Wed 05-Dec-12 18:40:36

Abigail. Love it

It's my sister's name and I was always jealous of it!

Bakingtins Wed 05-Dec-12 14:06:58

Like both names but we are also over-run with Milly/Amelia/Mia/Emilia's. Had one swimming class where it was Milly, Billy, Tilly, Amelia (normally called Milly) and us... it was just a bit... silly. On that basis I prefer Abigail.

Both are pretty yet strong names, like them both.... my concern with Emilia would be about it constantly being spelled incorrectly e.g. as Amelia.

Hazel, I was named after one of those geese! True story.

telsa Wed 05-Dec-12 12:15:31

Abigail for sure.

OkayHazel Wed 05-Dec-12 01:16:37

Cute! http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Abigail_and_Amelia_Gabble

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 04-Dec-12 23:56:03

Emilia! Though I second the suggestion of Emmeline as a more unusual alternative.

I don't like Abigail. Though I do like Abi/Abby as a nickname.

BOFingSanta Tue 04-Dec-12 23:47:23

Abigail- pretty and not so overused.

YD, it's my name and I've always understood it to mean Father's Joy. Which I guess you could translate to God the Father. Neither are relevant to me though.

YDdraigGoch Tue 04-Dec-12 22:47:04

I have an Abigail. Nn Abi. We chose it because of what it means - "beloved of God". You can't get much better than that!

omghelpmeplease Tue 04-Dec-12 22:39:47

personally prefer emilia

JingleBellaTheGymnast Tue 04-Dec-12 22:28:03

Love the look of Emilia, but it's quite popular isn't if? Much nicer name than Abigail though, which feels very 80s to me, even though it's not.
Emmeline?

P.S. Millie is at 32, Mia at 10, Mya at 100.

Abigail Abigail Abigail! (Might be my name! smile)
Amelia and Emily were at numbers four and five respectively last year, add to that the Emilias (at 85) and Amelies (58) and it's very popular, if that bothers you. Abigail was at 47, Abbie at 98, so still quite popular.
I like Abi for the nickname, with that spelling. Why add letters that aren't in the full version?

ISeeSmallPeople Tue 04-Dec-12 21:42:55

We have 10 Millies in Ds2's year, 2 Mias, a handful of Mollies...

On that basis I prefer Abigail

sparkle12mar08 Tue 04-Dec-12 21:40:20

As a personal opinion I think they're okay but nothing particularly special. Emilia/Amelia/Amelie's are ten a penny round this way as are Millie/Milly/Mia's, so for that reason alone I wouldn't use it. Abigail is nicer but a bit dated for me.

I love Emilia! I would maybe shorten it to Mimi
I might steal this if bump is a girl...

FestiveFannyFarts Tue 04-Dec-12 21:10:54

Abigail is nicer imo smilehth

lurcherlover Tue 04-Dec-12 21:07:39

What do you think? We like either of these for dd due next year. Emilia would probably be shortened to Milly or Mia, and Abigail to Abby. Please let me know your preferred name (and nickname)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now