Could you you use a nearly totally unique name?

(94 Posts)
AlexanderS Fri 30-Nov-12 10:21:39

I've thought of a girls name I really like. It is used as a surname, and is not on the 2011 baby name charts for England and Wales at all, but I googled it and found details of one person - a writer - with this name so it is 'out there'.

The name is gorgeous but I don't know whether I'm brave enough to use it! It sounds like a first name, can be shortened to a reasonably popular diminutive and I don't know why more people haven't used it, but I can imagine myself going to mother and baby groups, introducing my baby and being met with blank looks. There is a certain comfort in using a name that dozens of people have used before you.

Could you use a name like this?

AlexanderS Fri 30-Nov-12 10:40:23

Regarding Bettany/Bethany and the possibility of them getting mixed up, when you think about it this is a possibility with lots of names. Rosalyn and Rosalind, just one example of the top of my head.

ohfunnyface Fri 30-Nov-12 10:41:36

I quite like it!

But then I'm 7 months pregnant and thinking Oak is a pretty cool name after laughing at someone's story of their heightened hormonal state making them determined to name their son it.

Go for it, if you like it, you like it. .

amck5700 Fri 30-Nov-12 10:41:58

My Aunt was an Elizabeth called Bunty - that's a bit more unusual.

I think the Bethany thing would annoy me (and Bethany is not a name I poarticularly like) I prefer Bettany to be honest but I wouldn't use it just because of the Bethany thing.

That's me though, if you like either and it doesn't bother you then go for it.

AlexanderS Fri 30-Nov-12 10:42:25

There's no need to get snitty, Hully.

Monthlyfestivities Fri 30-Nov-12 10:42:57

I really like the sound of bettany. Doesn't sound to out there go for it. As with the whole Bethany/bettany I see that as no problem. I have had to spell my first and surname my whole life but it really doesn't bother me. I like that my name is unique

HullyEastergully Fri 30-Nov-12 10:43:16

That's not snitty, that's helpful guidance.

orangepudding Fri 30-Nov-12 10:45:40

The child will forever be saying 'Bettany not Bethany' to any new people she meets.

AlexanderS Fri 30-Nov-12 10:45:41

hmm, Hully.

RooneyMara Fri 30-Nov-12 10:45:50

I've heard of it - well it doesn't sound that odd or unusual to me iyswim. I'd totally get it if someone told me their child was called it.

No problem that I can see.

Ds3 is due in a few weeks and his name is pretty unusual - but I love it and will be using it even if no one else does (my other sons want to use his middle name, so I've said that's fine)

So yes I could do it. It's that or use a name I don't really like iyswim - I really struggled with boys' names, having used the ones I liked already!

RooneyMara Fri 30-Nov-12 10:46:26

Hully is being silly with you...don't worry about her grin

HullyEastergully Fri 30-Nov-12 10:47:15

No I'm not. These things matter.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Fri 30-Nov-12 10:48:58

I thought it was going to be something much more erm audacious; but when I saw Bettany my first thought was that it was sweet...I really like it.

AlexanderS Fri 30-Nov-12 10:49:11

I have a first name I constantly have to spell out because it has an alternative spelling, and I never realised 'til I started thinking about baby names how much that bugs me (though I think that's mainly because the way I spell is by far the most common way of spelling it - people are just so thick!).

AlexanderS Fri 30-Nov-12 10:49:42

Sorry, spell it.

bigbluebump Fri 30-Nov-12 10:50:01

Bettany sounds beautiful and people will quickly learn how to say/spell it. Think of the names Catherine/Katharine/Kathyrn/Cathryn and many others that constantly need to spelled out! At least with Bettany you spell it like you say it.

Great choice, OP, go for it!

RooneyMara Fri 30-Nov-12 10:50:38

I think we need a Pedant Pendant. Instead of a string of pearls to clutch.

I'd wear one.

AlexanderS Fri 30-Nov-12 10:51:21

It is nice, isn't it, FlipFlops? You see what I mean about not understanding why more people haven't used it.

DinosaurSchool Fri 30-Nov-12 10:52:59

I think some of it depends on what her surname will be. Both my surnames have been unusual and needed spelling. Luckily my first name is fairly straightforward. But my brother has an unusual Christian name too and he has spent his whole life spelling his whole name.

I've given all 3 dc's easy to spell names because of this. My friends surname is Jackson so she gave her ds a verrrry unusually spelt name.

AlexanderS Fri 30-Nov-12 10:55:08

Our surname is very common. Another reason for not wanting use Elizabeth or anything like that as she'd be one of hundreds.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Fri 30-Nov-12 10:58:16

I know, it is funny that more people haven't used it...but great news for you - go for it.

ChestnutsRoastingonaWitchesTit Fri 30-Nov-12 11:03:29

betony

Sounds similar to lots of things. I suppose you can make lots of nearly unique names if you change one letter.

I always thought Crayon would make a good name.

RooneyMara Fri 30-Nov-12 11:04:42

Unless people don't like Paul. (who is he anyway?)

I always liked the name Celery, if we're talking about odd stuff. grin

I know a Betony, like the herb, and think it's a lovely name - similar sound but maybe slightly easier to explain the spelling?

AlexanderS Fri 30-Nov-12 11:06:24

Tad harsh, Chestnuts.

AlexanderS Fri 30-Nov-12 11:06:58

Paul Bettany, the actor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now