Did your surname influence your choice of name?

(35 Posts)
bankofengland Mon 26-Nov-12 22:12:17

we have just started looking at names and noticed that some go with our surname better than others. Some are difficult to say and some just sound just plain silly. It has automatically cut down the pool of names from which we can choose.

I think our choice will end up one which we like and works rather than one we love. Has anyone else had this? Did you have to make a practical choice rather going with the name of your dreams. Did you regret your choice?

weeblueberry Tue 27-Nov-12 11:07:33

Absolutely. Theo was one of my favourite boys names but bambino's last name begins with an O. sad

I love the name Molly but it would never have worked with my ex-husband's name.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 27-Nov-12 11:39:49

Anything beginning with B is out,they all sound stupid with a short surname beginning with B. Actually,anything with a B in it does.

forgetmenots Tue 27-Nov-12 12:28:12

I like alliterative names blush

MolotovCocktail Tue 27-Nov-12 12:59:48

I love the name Penelope, but couldn't use it for DD1 because our surname has 2 syllables and begins with P. It just sounds silly together (along the lines of 'p-p-p pick up a penguin', if anyone remembers that TV ad?)

Same for DD2: I adore the name Pearl, but it sounds daft with our surname. My youngest girl really suits Pearl; luckily, we chose a vintage/retro name for her so that suits her, too!

My married name presents fewer problems than my Danish maiden name, though!

Longdistance Tue 27-Nov-12 13:04:45

I love the name Grace. But our surname begins with a Gr.
And Grrr to my dh!

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 27-Nov-12 13:27:52

forgetmenots I like some of them too. Some do sound good together eg

Catherine Carter
Lawrence Lewis

None of the B names sound good with my DP's B surname. Except Benjamin,but that always gets shortened to Ben so wouldn't work either.

deleted203 Tue 27-Nov-12 13:31:21

Yep. My surname used to be 'White' and ex H was really keen on 'Lily' for our first daughter. All I could think of was that it sounded like a sanitary towel! (Or a Dulux paint chart). Definitely couldn't have chosen that.

exoticfruits Tue 27-Nov-12 13:40:10

I would have thought everyone had it, to some extent. You have to watch initials too.

Have a surname starting with A which rules out lots of pretty girls names that end in A e.g. love Natalia.
The surname also ends in EY so lots of other names are ruled out because they are too 'sing song'/rhymey e.g. love Poppy but just sounds wrong.

Wierdly though lots of boys names seem to suit - I think because they have more consonants and not as 'soft' sounding. Which makes me think for a girl its going to need to be some kind of strong sounding name with lots of consonants!

(At least I have 6 months to think about this though! DP found my lists on my phone and thought I was crazy that I'm already thinking about it!!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now