If you have or know a Catherine ...

(72 Posts)
penguinfooted Mon 26-Nov-12 21:31:52

what do you call her day to day? I love the full name and the nn Cassie but don't like Cathy and would be keen to avoid that as a nn.

weegiemum Argentina Wed 28-Nov-12 18:09:01

I have a Katherine. We chose it for the choices we/she could use (she's now 12).

I was really keen to avoid Katie, it's just too cutesy. She's chosen Kathy, and it really suits her.

FayeKorgasm Wed 28-Nov-12 17:17:21

I'm Catherine and have always been called Catherine. No nn.

mrstowers Wed 28-Nov-12 17:12:15

I know four - one is Katie, one is Cat and two are Catherine.

Frontpaw Wed 28-Nov-12 15:51:33

I know a Cat, Kit, Katie, Kate, Kati...

Benaberry Wed 28-Nov-12 15:50:34

I know a Katy, Katie, Kate, Kitty and Kat

Also a Catherine who is most definitely a Catherine, no shortening allowed

Bessie123 Wed 28-Nov-12 15:48:51

One Catherine who is 'Kitty' and one who is 'that complete bitch' (she is an adult, obv) grin

AppleOgies Wed 28-Nov-12 15:48:20

I know to a Catherine (known as Cathy), a Catherine (known as Kate), a Kathryn (known as Kathryn) and a Cathrin (known as Cathrin).

RuckAndRoll Wed 28-Nov-12 15:42:49

I'm a Catherine too. What I go by tends to depends on who's asking. Parents tend to flit between both.

Catherine to grandparents, in-laws, most at work and those at church who can't bare to call me Cat as it's 'not a proper name'

Cat to everyone else!

kate2boysandabump Wed 28-Nov-12 10:52:55

I'm Katherine, known as Kate, previously known as katie. I changed when I went to university. My mom calls me Katherine when i'm in trouble. I love my name.

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 28-Nov-12 10:38:18

We have a Catherine. She is only a toddler now but so far is always Catherine. I think we will leave it up to her what she would like to be called when she gets older. Personally, I am not keen on Cath or Cathy but like Katie, Kate or Cat. But it will be up to her (and her schoolfriends probably). However, unless she feels strongly about it, we will probably stick to Catherine.

I'm a Katherine. Have been known by various versions at different times in my life. Was a Katie or Kate as a young child. Moved school's aged 8 and decided that I wanted to be known as Kathy (my mum had no idea and it caused lots of confusion at parents' evening). Kathy stuck through high school and university although I'd gone off the name by then. Anyone I've met since I was about 21 has known me as Katherine unless I've met them through an old schoolmate who lives in the same city as me (not our hometown).

To be honest I answer to pretty much anything although I did get pissed off when one of DH's friends started calling me Kat.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 28-Nov-12 10:35:31

I know a six year old Catherine, who is always Catherine it is never shortened.

I know an eighty two year old Catherine, she is Cathy as she prefers it.

MincePiesTasteBetterHot Wed 28-Nov-12 10:33:45

A nickname can be whatever you want - it doesn't have to relate to the actual name.

Catherines I know are known as Cat, Cath, Kathy, Katy, Katya, Kasia (pronounced Kasha) Taffy, Kitty and Kit (think that last one is shortened from Kit Kat.) Also know one whose family call her Jojo, don't know where that comes from!

seeker Wed 28-Nov-12 10:32:38

"There is no reason why you cannot call her Cassie, it is up to you how you nickname your child. "

It isn't, you know! That way madness lies!

seeker Wed 28-Nov-12 10:31:08

I know a Cathy, but she's in her 60s.

I have two nieces- one of whom is usually Cat, the other Catherine all the time. I am Kate- I wish I had known it could be spelled Cait when I decided at about 18 to refuse to answer to anything else.

And I know a little Cattie. But she's starting to insist on Cat, so we'll be saying goodbye to Cattie soonsad

spottywelly Wed 28-Nov-12 10:25:22

I am a Katherine, and am just Katherine to most, Kitty to friends and Kas (pron. Kash) to family. I don't like Kath or Kathy either.

I vote you shorten it to whatever you want! smile

MarthasHarbour Wed 28-Nov-12 09:13:59

I know a Catherine who is Cath to her friends and Kate to her family.

I know another who is Kat to her friends but i have always known her as Katie and still call her that.

This isnt a helpful contribution but i absolutely love Cathy, but am a bit of a hippie!

There is no reason why you cannot call her Cassie, it is up to you how you nickname your child. smile

EmpressOfTheMadBoxOfFrogs Wed 28-Nov-12 09:12:02

I know a Catie.

Riddo Wed 28-Nov-12 09:05:14

Kate, Katy, Katie

CremeEggThief Brazil Wed 28-Nov-12 09:01:50

My history teacher at school in Ireland was actually Rena, short for Catherine.

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 28-Nov-12 07:04:13

Cate

FergusSingsTheBlues Wed 28-Nov-12 06:56:34

In west scotland, catherine is commonly pronounced as "cath-reen" and shortened to Rena especially f you are an ould biddy.

Allalonenow Belgium Tue 27-Nov-12 22:34:24

BunnyLebowski
All views, experience, knowledge and opinions are absolutelyof equal value on this board, mine no more nor less than yours, wherever one is from.

CBuzz Tue 27-Nov-12 22:13:59

I'm a Catherine. No middle name. Just Catherine. Never been shortened either. I love the name, always have. Only thing that really annoys me is every time I give my name over the phone, people always ask if it's with a "c" or a "k", then proceed to ask me to spell it, and always tell me about all the Catherines they know spelling it differently to me!!!

BrittaPerry Tue 27-Nov-12 22:09:10

Cat and Kait

Cat doesn't like cats. Must be annoying, because I bet loads of people get her cat based presents...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now