If you have or know a Catherine ...

(72 Posts)
penguinfooted Mon 26-Nov-12 21:31:52

what do you call her day to day? I love the full name and the nn Cassie but don't like Cathy and would be keen to avoid that as a nn.

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Mon 26-Nov-12 22:20:34

I know a Cath and a Cat.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 26-Nov-12 22:23:26

Have a Katherine who is Kate. If I wanted cassie, I would go with Cassandra.

Kath, Kate and Katy are the ones I know. I like Kitty

SpectresandSpooks Mon 26-Nov-12 22:33:04

Kate
Cate
Katy
Katey
Kath
Katie
Kathy
Kathie
Cathy
Cathie
Kat
Cat
Caterina (someone I know gets called this by colleagues when she's a Catherine)
Kitty
Kit
Katea
Katia
Kay

And there's all the foreign diminutives.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 27-Nov-12 20:30:13

I know a Cath, a Kate and a Katharine.

Graceparkhill Tue 27-Nov-12 20:32:37

Kat and Kate

phlebas Tue 27-Nov-12 21:03:51

I know a 'Catie' & a 'Cath' (children) & two adult 'Cathy's

CremeEggThief Tue 27-Nov-12 21:10:03

Catherine.
Katherine.
Kathryn.
Catherina.
Caitriona.
Cathriona.
Catriona.
Cathy.
Kathy.
Kate.
Cate.
Kath.
Cath.
Cat.
Triona.
Kitty.
Kay.
Katie.

It 's fair to say I've known many Catherines!

Beamur Tue 27-Nov-12 21:12:46

I know a little girl - Katie, although sometimes her Mum uses her full name and it sounds really clunky in comparison.
A friend my age - Kate
A slightly older colleague - Kath

Allalonenow Tue 27-Nov-12 21:14:14

I know a Catherine, she is known as Cat, which suits her, though I do not like it.
I don't think Cassie is nn for Catherine, though I have heard it used as a nn for Karen, via Kas > Cassie.

DoISay Tue 27-Nov-12 21:14:41

Kate

ISeeSmallPeople Tue 27-Nov-12 21:15:13

Catherine.
Or sausage.

WeaselSoup Tue 27-Nov-12 21:17:41

My best friend (age 28) is Catherine and she has always been known as Cayth, which is a lovely and rather unusual shortening.

WeaselSoup Tue 27-Nov-12 21:19:54

Sorry should have said, it's pronounced Cayth to rhyme with faith.

Cassie is absolutely a nn for Catherine Allalonenow.

Quite a common one in Ireland where I'm.from.

Makes more sense than Karen that's for sure.

buttercrumble Tue 27-Nov-12 21:20:03

Im a Catherine, couldn't stand the name as a child but love it now. Dh calls me Catherine work mates call me Cath. Dont mind either, are both nice

JuliaFlyte Tue 27-Nov-12 21:23:23

I know a Catherine, known as Cassie

Crikeyblimey Tue 27-Nov-12 21:54:15

I al a Catherine - I love it! I have been Cath but prefer Catherine now. Always hated Cathy. Mum used to call me Katy occasionally but in my mind it was spelt with a C.

My niece is Katy and people often used to try and call her Katherine (the lady at the library was very rude to her when she was little and filling out a form for a library ticket "you must out your full name dear". Katy explained that it was her full name.

Crikeyblimey Tue 27-Nov-12 21:54:48

Arse. I AM not al!

Waswondering Tue 27-Nov-12 21:57:30

I know a Kathryn who is known as Kathryn (she's 17)

I know a Catherine who is known as Catherine (she's 3).

HTH!

lemontwist Tue 27-Nov-12 22:05:28

I'm a Catherine and I love how it has so many variations. Different people/groups know me as different things. I'm Cathy to family, Cath to most of my friends, Cat to a couple of close mates and Katie to an old friend of the family. My best mate called her DD Catherine smile and she is almost always Katie.

PrannyHamster Tue 27-Nov-12 22:09:06

I know two Kathryns and a Katharine (50s and 20s) who are always called by their full name. The other Catherine/Katherines I've encountered (teens and 20s) are mostly Katies.

BrittaPerry Tue 27-Nov-12 22:09:10

Cat and Kait

Cat doesn't like cats. Must be annoying, because I bet loads of people get her cat based presents...

CBuzz Tue 27-Nov-12 22:13:59

I'm a Catherine. No middle name. Just Catherine. Never been shortened either. I love the name, always have. Only thing that really annoys me is every time I give my name over the phone, people always ask if it's with a "c" or a "k", then proceed to ask me to spell it, and always tell me about all the Catherines they know spelling it differently to me!!!

Allalonenow Tue 27-Nov-12 22:34:24

BunnyLebowski
All views, experience, knowledge and opinions are absolutelyof equal value on this board, mine no more nor less than yours, wherever one is from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now