Help with choosing a girls name with surname - have come to a stop!

(11 Posts)

Meredith Ball sounds good to me.

mathanxiety Sat 24-Nov-12 17:49:13

Fiona?

Knew one in school whose surname was the same as yours. I always thought her name worked well.

Katherine (with nn Kate or Katie) might work.
Or:
Caroline
Rachel
Madeleine
Miriam
Frances
Josephine
Annika
Miranda
Imogen
Jessica
Jemima
Emily
Matilda
Tamsin

I think you need a name with at least two syllables and three syllable classic names sound good with *all imo.

Hedwig3 Fri 23-Nov-12 22:17:09

Lucille

greenants Fri 23-Nov-12 22:10:17

Hi, thanks for the advice so far.

Horatia - I'm not worried about the surname in itself - just choosing the wrong first name to go with it! I would be happy to use Lily B*ll but don't know if it sounds reasonable or not ...

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/1414559-Help-us-get-some-perspective-on-our-shortlist-with-our-comedy-surname-please here it is.

If you do a search you'll find someone else posted a few months back with the exact same surname as you who was also having a girl. There were lots of good suggestions there.

Bea B-ll is another word for basketball. No.

Lily is ubiquitous, which means she would be very likely to use her surname lots. If you're sensitive about this, use something less usual.

In fact I'd avoid anything descriptive. Zoe B-ll did ok and nobody notices her surname!

Martha
Helen

Something timeless and elegant but not frilly, I reckon.

And for the love of God, not Isadora...wink

SkivingAgain Fri 23-Nov-12 21:58:08

Terri?
Ophelia
grin

Sorry, I don't think that this is such a tricky surname and it goes with most things

AlexanderS Fri 23-Nov-12 21:52:47

Lilian *all sounds good.

greenants Fri 23-Nov-12 21:48:56

DHs surname is a tricky *all - (begins with B!) and we have quickly found that there are loads of names we cannot use as they end up making a word or phrase with our surname or just sound silly.

The names I like so far are - Beatrice, Lily, Lilian, Erin,

We could double barrell but DH really does want to pass on his surname so using my maiden name on it's own is not really an option.

I would be grateful for some opinions as we're (I'm!) starting to not know what works and what doesn't! What do you think of the above names - I really Beatrice and it sounds ok in full but Bea *all! Is Lily *all too many L sounds?

Please can you make any other suggestions that work with our surname - we have come to a complete halt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now