Audrey - yay or nay? any associations?

(41 Posts)
kellyhowells82 Fri 23-Nov-12 09:29:54

Hello all. I need some honest advice about the name Audrey. I am thinking of it for a girl's name - partly as it is currently not very popular (at least not in the UK) but that is also why I am weary of using it! Honest opinions needed!

Many thanks!

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 23-Nov-12 12:20:09

I really don't like Audra. It sounds incomplete to me.

Viviennemary Fri 23-Nov-12 12:20:23

I'm not too keen on it. I don't think it's a particularly attractive name. But it's not dreadful. There are plenty of other much nicer names. Associations. Audrey in Coronation Street.

B1ueberries Fri 23-Nov-12 12:26:37

rupert penry-jones mother ??!

blonderthanred Fri 23-Nov-12 12:58:49

Venicia that's Audrey Fforbes-Hamilton to you. My teeth aren't that long though.

I like it, main association is Hepburn but f-h is cool too.

33goingon64 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:10:24

I have good associations - a lovely French girl I was friends with at uni, Audrey Tatou of course (= grace and beauty), and DH's best friend has a 3 yr old Audrey who is absolutely stunning and very sweet. They are Anglo/Jewish-Chinese and somehow the name works.

ChestnutsRoastingonaWitchesTit Fri 23-Nov-12 13:11:00

I like it because of the Audrey Hepburn connection.

I want to like it, and it was on our girls name list for a while.....but when I say it out loud, it sounds very dour. Like Maude.

It makes me do a frown face sad

ChestnutsRoastingonaWitchesTit Fri 23-Nov-12 13:14:02

"Audrey, a simple thing...but mine own"

Not sure that's a good quote for your child's wall.

NotChristmasCarol Fri 23-Nov-12 13:21:25

I'm currently quite focused on name meanings, and Audrey stacks up pretty well. Ok, except for the "tawdry" wrinkle, which I think can be overlooked now we're well past the sixth-century....

From thinkbabynames.com:

Audrey meaning and name origin:

Audrey \a(u)-drey, aud-rey\ as a girl's name is pronounced AW-dree. It is of Old English origin, and the meaning of Audrey is "noble strength". Also the root, via Saint Audrey, for the word "tawdry", due to lace and goods sold at Saint Audrey's Fair in England. Saint Audrey was a sixth-century English princess also known as Etheldreda. Literary: Shakespeare used the name for Touchstone's comic sweetheart in "As You Like It". Actress Audrey Hepburn.

Audrey has 17 variant forms: Audelia, Audene, Audessa, Audi, Audie, Audra, Audrea, Audree, Audreen, Audri, Audria, Audrie, Audrielle, Audrina, Audris, Audry and Audrye. See also related names Aubrey, Audriana and Elfrida.

Baby names that sound like Audrey are Adrea, Adare, Adrah, Adra, Adoree, Adore, Adoray, Adrie, Adria, Adreea, Edrea and Eudore.

I love it, and was sad I couldn't use it because of family reasons sad but it's a lovely name, go for it!

sweetfluffybunnies Fri 23-Nov-12 13:26:08

My dd's middle name is Audrey, after my mother. DD doesn't like it but I firmly believe that although it's not currently popular, it is going to make a comeback like so many other old-fashioned names.

Like it, but prefer audrina or Aubrey

Lutrine Fri 23-Nov-12 18:13:18

We have it on our list too. My DH said "you're probably thinking Hepburn and I think of the plant and girl in Little Shop of Horrors" though! It's staying on there though!

shutitweirdo Fri 23-Nov-12 18:22:12

It was my other choice for dd.

Rhubarbgarden Fri 23-Nov-12 20:51:49

I think of my dd smile

Glitterspy Sun 25-Nov-12 20:11:06

It's one of my absolute favourites. 'Quirky glamour' is a great way to describe, and agendabender thanks for the quote ref!

Allthesanityinme Sun 25-Nov-12 20:43:06

Its old fashioned but classy and a strong name iykwim. I would go for it if you love it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now