A brother for Lois - help!

(94 Posts)
gufflings Wed 14-Nov-12 12:55:10

DP and I are drawing a great big blank trying to agree on a name for our baby boy. He's not due till the end of February, so we have a while to go, but the hunt is starting to drive me a bit nuts. We have zero names on our list! I loved picking a girl's name for DD, but boys' ones just don't grab me in the same way.

DP likes Flynn (Tron fan) but I'm not sold.

I like Bill, but not William (coupled with surname it becomes a wrongly spelled version of a famous American novelist's name) or Billy (silly billy). I also like Eric, but DP has vetoed. And Wilfred (love Wilf) - vetoed. I have a hankering for Marv(in) too, but suspect that's the pregnancy hormones talking (and too many episodes of Charlie and Lola).

We've toyed with Joe and Saul, but neither is 'the one'.

We want something unusual, but not too 'out there', preferably one or two syllables and not ending in -y/-ie. It must suit a baby, teen and man equally well. Plus it needs to go with Lois (and, no, we aren't considering Clark).

Please, bunch of strangers, can you help us out? I really want him to have a name we love as much as our DD's, not a compromise.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

gufflings Mon 19-Nov-12 21:51:04

Hi folks

Just a quickie in case it helps anyone else out there. The Baby Name Wizard book arrived today. Lois falls into the Solid Citizens category, as does Bill. Lloyd is a Porch Sitter.

Suggested brother names for Lois are: Gordon, Lyle, Raymond, Howard and Roy. Yick...

If you have a Lois and are looking for names for a sister, the book suggests: Jean, Marjorie, Lorraine, Mavis (!) and Betty...

Dynababy Sat 17-Nov-12 19:55:54

Oscar!

WildRumpus Fri 16-Nov-12 18:19:32

Hurrah!

gufflings Fri 16-Nov-12 15:42:04

Sorted then! (until we change our minds again...)

Thanks a million, ladies!!

WildRumpus Fri 16-Nov-12 13:05:12

Love William Lloyd Burrows (aka Bill). Fantastic name.

William Lloyd Burrows. Great name. smile

LadyofWinterfell Thu 15-Nov-12 16:56:01

A good friend of mine has a Lois and Max.

Love Joel!

Wallison Thu 15-Nov-12 16:38:57

I like both tbh but have a soft spot for Victor for the reason above. (He really was absolutely gorgeous) Isn't Hector originally Scottish? The resurgence of all names with Scottish/Irish associations (Liam etc) might be to do with its coming popularity.

B1ueberryMuff1n Thu 15-Nov-12 16:36:19

Certain parts of Foreign? did you mean Europe? confused smile clarify please!!

B1ueberryMuff1n Thu 15-Nov-12 16:35:16

True, have known a Maltese Victor and a Spanish one. But I know of a couple of children called Victor too. More called Hector though. I prefer Victor. Hector is a bit odd.

Wallison Thu 15-Nov-12 16:33:46

It's still very popular in certain parts of Foreign, which is where he is from. Lots of names from that era are - Winston, Victor, Hector, Beatrice, Gladys etc. All of them names for hot young beautiful and exotic people.

B1ueberryMuff1n Thu 15-Nov-12 15:17:17

I think that one is sure to come back.... it has a more obvious appeal than most of the names from that era.

Wallison Thu 15-Nov-12 13:34:09

I like the suggestion of Victor. One of my favourite ever boyfriends was called Victor.

MustafaCake Thu 15-Nov-12 13:28:30

OMG just read the thread, we have DCs called Nate, Hal and Evan, we must have very similar tastes OP and OP's DH!!

<outs self to world of Mumsnet>

smile

MustafaCake Thu 15-Nov-12 13:25:34

Have not read all of thread so sorry if I'm repeating! How about

Lois and Nate

We have a Nate (and we put Nate on the BC rather than Nathaniel, you could do the same with Bill if you choose that)

littletomato Thu 15-Nov-12 13:16:16

Lois & Jack.

gufflings Thu 15-Nov-12 13:14:07

Geargrinder, how funny! Unfortunately, the first thing my dad said when I mentioned Flynn was 'phlegm', and my sister and I (children of the totally un-PC 70s) can't help thinking 'flid' (massive apologies, I know that's highly offensive, but it was our stupid knee-jerk playground reaction). Obviously kids these days won't use that word, but it bothers me.

The name tag thing, however, doesn't bother me at all. My name begins with R and the NN I go by begins with B. There are thousands of people out there with official names that begin with a different letter to their NN and they aren't walking around starkers...

Geargrinder Thu 15-Nov-12 13:05:32

well, I'm considering calling DD2 Lois, and the boy's name we had lined up had DD1 been a boy, was Flynn, so I reckon your DP is on the right track smile

tammytoby Thu 15-Nov-12 12:58:21

The problem with having ones nickname start with a different letter to the full name is when you start labelling clothes, sportswear and other school items. Often it is Initial.Surname and then do you use W.Surname or B.Surname.

I think Saul, Victor and Wilfred are MUCH nicer than Will/Willy/Billy imo.

gufflings Thu 15-Nov-12 12:51:35

Hee hee at the idea of a little Guillermo in South Yorkshire. Likewise want to avoid Wills/Willy at all costs.

Thinking about it, there are loads of diminutive forms of my name, but people don't normally deviate from the shortened form I use (unless bloody-minded/deaf/both).

Just discovered that Lloyd means 'grey' in Welsh, which might be a nice way to honour one of DD's less strange name choices for DS: Gray. William Lloyd Burrows. Hmmm...

Hey, Willam Burroughs is a great person to share a name with! We toyed around with other versions of William - Willem/Gwilym/Guillaume/Guillermo for the certificate, but we didn't think that'd really work in no-nonsense South Yorkshire where we live!

And we also know that Bill may come home from school with a new nn Will/Billy/Liam/ please God not Wills or Willy but at home he will always be our Bill!

gufflings Thu 15-Nov-12 11:50:44

It IS cool. Good to know there's a little Bill out there. It's definitely top of our list. Suspect it would be William on the BC for us too - even though that'll make him William Burrows... My only reservation (apart from the William Burrows/William Burroughs thing) is that it feels like we'd be forcing his NN upon him, when a NN is normally something that comes about naturally.

Has anyone out there put a diminutive form of a name on a BC? Is Bill enough of a name in its own right, do you think? Not sure...

He's only 7 months, & is William on his birth certificate (but really just to avoid the initials BJ...and just because that's what worked for us) - but no-one except his great grandma calls him that! And silly Billy? No - he hasn't been called that so far! Obviously Primary will be the true test. wink

People think it's a really cool name because so few little ones seem to be called Bill: they're usually Will or Billy. It definitely suits him.

gufflings Thu 15-Nov-12 10:00:18

Oooh ooh, HenriettaChicken, is your Bill a William on his birth certificate? How old is he? Does he like his name? (And does he get called silly Billy?) DCs have a cousin called Jim already, but do like Ted and Bob too.

crazynanna, what are your other DCs' names?

Current list is:
Bill (top fave)
Frank
Lloyd
Rudy
Saul (DP now says it's 'OK')
Victor
Wilfred (I just keep it on there in the vain hope...)

Await the Baby Name Wizard book with baited breath...

crazynanna Wed 14-Nov-12 21:20:17

wildrumpus how weird.....they are 2 of my dcs names...Lois and Lloyd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now