3 children, all with rhyming names. Would you?

(99 Posts)
RipThePresentsOpen Mon 12-Nov-12 22:36:19

I've met someone who has 3 children and all their names rhyme and are very, very similar. I'm not going to say what they are but think along the lines of Ayden, Kayden and Jayden.

Would you? I'm on the fence. Not that it matters of course, or that my opinion on her DCs names matters either and of course I didn't say anything to her but I've pondered on it since. Not sure what I would have come up with for mine if I wanted to rhyme them.

Also, do you think she set out to have 3 rhyming names? I can't even think of another name that rhymes with my DC1's name so I wouldn't have got far!

nikki1391 Thu 30-Jan-14 13:15:48

I wouldn't want my kids to have rhyming or similar names. I know of twins called Oliver and Olivia and another sent of twins called Dante and Donte! Would get confusing for others

Ok, not siblings but a married couple. My friend at school had parents called Cornelius and Cornelia.

ErikNorseman Thu 13-Dec-12 10:20:53

I know a family where the parents are Christine and Christopher (both k/a Chris) and their DS is Christian
And siblings called Kerry and Kelly who have a niece called Nellie (from their brother, so some consideration could have been given)

OTOH some cultures give twins derivatives of the same name on purpose. I have met ID twins Hassan and Hussain and my SILs who are identical are Hasna and hassania!

SnowProbs Wed 12-Dec-12 15:10:16

DD's nursery is teeming with this - Ella, Isabella, Annabel, Belle, Ava, Eva, Evie, Ellie, Elsie, Isla, Lila, Lola, Leila etc...

I cant imagine having kids with actual rhyming names, though - like Billy/Lily/Millie. Thats just weird!

steppemum Tue 11-Dec-12 23:48:33

And my dads work colleague had dcs called Randy and Brandy, they were American and were perplexed by the response they got from British colleagues when they mentioned their dcs names for the first time

steppemum Tue 11-Dec-12 23:46:47

We used to have a lot of Taiwanese children at the school I taught at, and they choose a name for that generation, and then their children all have it plus a suffix, so we had I-Ta, I-Tan and I-Tin. Got really confusing

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Dec-12 23:20:05

One of my closest friends has 3dc all with short names ending with the y/ie sound. I wouldn't but they obviously like it,

ChunkysMum Tue 11-Dec-12 21:01:55

I know a pair of siblings (in their forties) named Sharon and Darren.

They both go by their nicknames, Shaz and Daz hmm

ZuzuandZara Tue 11-Dec-12 18:40:06

There's a local family whose names all begin with R, there's about 6 kids and dozens of grandchildren, surname also begins with R. They all have a striking family resemblance so you can spot them anywhere!

I went to school in Hong Kong and one of my friends was Nepalese and called Saditchka, her sisters were Sabitchka and Soatchka (so-aitchka). They were princesses apparently. Every birthday Saditchka used to give me a small teddy in a box.

iwantalittleone Tue 11-Dec-12 15:32:44

Octomum has also given all 8 children the middle name of Angel!

My mum came across twins Tia Maria and Jack Daniel at the hospital she works at (I know Jack Daniel isn't rhyming but still!)

lovemybabyboy Thu 06-Dec-12 18:14:40

Not rhyming but I met a woman at a playgroup once with two daughters called Milly and Molly!! shock

CocktailQueen Wed 05-Dec-12 23:45:01

No!! Why would you??

Cahoootz Wed 05-Dec-12 23:31:31

mrstowers. Shame there wasn't a sister Victoria.........

mrstowers Wed 05-Dec-12 16:12:08

I know a family with 3 grown up sons Michael, Nicholas and Richard. They are now known in their adult life as Mick, Nick and Dick grin

ThwartedbyMum Wed 05-Dec-12 15:01:48

I posted about the family with those names, both pronounced as Karren and Arren. Maybe it depends on where you live on how you pronounce the name but have spent time living in the North West and South East and have aways heard it pronounced as Arren.

aliphil Wed 05-Dec-12 14:31:14

Odd - to me, Karen and Aaron don't rhyme! People who do rhyme them, are you pronouncing them Karren and Arren, or Care-en and Air-on? (No good at phonetics, sorry.)

Mumofoneteenageson1 Thu 29-Nov-12 13:08:58

Definitely not! I had religious neighbours who had 11 children, their names all began with the letter J!!

Cahooots Sun 25-Nov-12 23:24:11

Really!!!. I checked it wasn't dated 1st April. I think this has to be the winner of duffest thing to call the kids.

MooncupsAndSaucers Sun 25-Nov-12 20:28:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Chottie Sun 25-Nov-12 20:16:20

That is just awful!!! What planet are these parents on?

Actually in my own family SiL had two Ds with rhyming names. As soon as they grew up D1 changed her name by deed poll.

rockinhippy Sun 25-Nov-12 20:01:10

I know a Stan & Olly - & their mum thinks its hilarious

Arithmeticulous Sun 25-Nov-12 19:41:53

Better than Chip and Dale grin

SheilaWheeler Sun 25-Nov-12 17:36:31

I knew twins called Gail and Dale

Frikadellen Sun 25-Nov-12 17:32:01

a friend of mine has a dd called Lily her siblings dd of similar ages are Lizzy and Lydia thats hard enough

Lily Lizzy and Lydia.

confuddledDOTcom Sun 25-Nov-12 17:26:57

I got a lot of raised eyebrows and sniggering when I was in hospital last year, my daughter's name rhymes with my maiden name and of course she got given my name not his. I'd see them introduce her to someone and the other person try to keep a straight face and I'd say "But she'll be... when we go home!" which would usually tip them over the edge. One spelling of her name is my initial followed by my surname, but I thought that would be pushing it! Didn't help that there was another baby in with the same surname and a rhyming name.

My husband has decided he wants our son to be called the masculine version of one of our daughter's name, not rhyming or obvious but... no!

lljkk, it's alliteration and rhyming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now