Surnames as Christian names?

(101 Posts)
MrsHBaby3 Thu 25-Oct-12 14:35:54

Sorry if this has been asked before but a friend suggested I use my maiden name for my baby boy (she plans to do the same as shes TTC),
Just wondered what general consensus is? Personally it sounds like Im saying a double-barrelled surname and cant decide if I like it.

Names such as
Bailey
Hunter
Parker
Morgan
Spencer..

any others if you like the idea? (I know some will sound ridiculous!)

sweetkitty Thu 25-Oct-12 16:59:21

As someone has said very common in Scotland I know a
Finlay
Fraser
Carrick
Murray
Logan
Stewart
Riley
Grant
Lennox
Wallace

squoosh Thu 25-Oct-12 17:04:50

Riley hurts my eyes.

It's Reilly.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 25-Oct-12 20:14:33

Well some are interchangeable anyway, Thomas,James,Charles for example. And others such as Williams,Edwards,Richards are first names with an S on the end.

I hate loathe and detest surnames as first names on girls. Particularly the occupation ones. Surnames are patronymic in the West,there were no female Coopers,Fletchers,Archers,Masons,Parkers etc. sigh

thegreylady Thu 25-Oct-12 20:32:05

Morgan is definitely a first name-Morgan le Fay smile
It can be for boys or girls I think
Stuart/Stewart is also a first name-its all these Parkers,Baileys,Rileys etc which will probably date.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 25-Oct-12 20:34:36

Morgan is a very common surname in Wales,think it's interchangeable like James,Thomas,Charles.

I always assume Morgans are boys,it's a very male name in Wales. So is Bryn,but that stop Americans calling their daughters it.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 25-Oct-12 20:35:04

*that doesn't stop. Vital word omitted!

Badgerina Thu 25-Oct-12 21:12:06

Christian name? confused FIRST name, surely?

bramblina Thu 25-Oct-12 21:13:21

I love it, and ds has a surname as his first name, there are several I like. I agree with other posters that it doesn't sound so good on girls, but for boys, I think they seem to sound strong. Trouble is, your combination might sound like a double barrelled name but we can't comment until we know what it is! Actually, so what if it is? It may be really nice.

stillsmarting Thu 25-Oct-12 21:13:36

McKenzie, as other thread. Ugh.

Pudgy2011 Thu 25-Oct-12 21:15:39

DH is Fraser, DS is Carter, DB is Spencer so there seems to be a theme with our families!

Here (live in Caribbean), we also have Cooper, Riley, Hunter, Fletcher, Sawyer and Mason at DS's daycare. And quite a few of them too, clearly US influenced here. No other Carters though.

I really like the surnames for first names theme, not sure why but I always did. However if I was to give any subsequent kids my maiden name, they'd be called George!

I really like Blake, Anderson and Elliot as boy first names and I loved Darcy, Harper and Piper for a girl (until the Beckhams had a Harper so we took that name off the table).

I think you other love surnames as first names, or you hate them and in the same vein, I'm not a fan of cutsey pretty girly names, or old man names on baby boys. Wouldn't the world be boring if we all liked the same thing!

LemonBreeland Thu 25-Oct-12 21:19:22

I have a baby book that says in the past
First born son - named after Father
Second born son - named Mothers maiden name.

That is how so many surnames are already first names.

bramblina Thu 25-Oct-12 21:28:14

Ooooh then if the baby I am currently expecting happens to be a boy I should call him Hall? Eurgh!

Startailoforangeandgold Thu 25-Oct-12 21:33:56

Lewis is the one I know, I thought it was rather neat.

Startailoforangeandgold Thu 25-Oct-12 21:39:44

I also knew an Edward Andrew(no s) which caused huge confusion because he went to the sort of school that used surnames and he was a cadet who also do this.

So he got Andrew Edward/s just as often as people got it right, which being bad at names, confused me totally.

PinkSoccerMum Thu 25-Oct-12 21:43:26

I like it, my friend and my cousin have both named their DS's their maiden name

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 25-Oct-12 21:45:21

Badgerina what's wrong with OP saying Christian name?

VBisme Thu 25-Oct-12 21:50:43

As a middle name it's fine, as a first name it's a bit odd (unless you are American were it seems to be fairly common).

jaffacakehips Thu 25-Oct-12 21:56:13

I like them, but then i'm a jock and grew up with Struan's, Campbells, Blairs'etc etc. So total normal for me. Also whet to school with a Hunter..hot

Plenty of first names used as surnames too!

Thomas
Oliver
James
Alexander
Philip(s)
Allison
Douglas
Duncan
Richard(s)
Lewis

I know all of the above. Just make sure you spell if 'correctly'

Frontpaw Thu 25-Oct-12 22:21:13

Maybe its a fashion/regional thing (or I'm just ancient) - I'm scottish and don't remember meeting any! Lots of Robert, James, Andrew, Ian, John, Willian, Alistair, Peter, Paul, Mark... Unless you count Gordon or Gregor, which I suppose are surnames really. Can't think of any girls ones though.

Badgerina Thu 25-Oct-12 22:34:26

Well... For a lot of people they're not Christian names. They're first names. That's all.

Badgerina Thu 25-Oct-12 22:35:17

Having said that I hate the term "maiden name" as well, so it's probs just me being picky grin

CheshireDing Thu 25-Oct-12 22:57:49

As others have said some sound okay, some are not so good. It's not my personal taste although do know children called Harrison, MacKenzie, Brody and Murphy - love the last two names, not sure I would be able to use them though DH wouldn't let me put River on our list grin

Interesting thread though, I never realised so many names were original surnames or firs names and swapped.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 25-Oct-12 22:58:55

Actually, I think the correct term is 'given' name - because in some countries the family name comes first, and the 'first' name comes last. <ultra pedant>

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 25-Oct-12 22:59:16

But OP might be Christian? I know not everyone is and they can say first name if they like. I tend to say first name myself.

I quite like the term maiden name. Probably because it makes me snigger to think of myself as a "maiden". smile

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 25-Oct-12 23:01:36

Grimma ha! Very true! And there's nothing wrong with being a pedant. It's helping people! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now