Would popularity put you off a name?

(35 Posts)
ghoulelocks Sun 14-Oct-12 20:13:50

DH andI just can't agree on a name. We settled quite easily on ds's name, but a dd is proving difficult. We liked ds's name as although well known isn't common,he'llprobably be the only one in his class.

The girls name we finally settled on is Amelia... but on mn I've just realised there may be a few in her class.We've just moved too, to a naice bit of London to compound it!

Our other names were:

Vera, lovely in our country of origin but everyone here seems to react to it like I'm thinking of calling her 'hairnet' or something! I love the name, but don't want to embarrass her.

Lydia, not sure if it's a little harsh

Rhubarbgarden Mon 15-Oct-12 20:30:50

Vera is a lovely name. Lydia is ok. Amelia is a bit yawn - popularity takes something away from names no matter how nice they are in their own right.

Nagoo Mon 15-Oct-12 20:14:20

I mean to her face. Only a twatty dad would try to take the piss out of her for a soap character that was offscreen for 15 years.

Nagoo Mon 15-Oct-12 20:13:18

Amelia Pond.

There will be a bizzillon of them.

Yes, popularity puts me off. I get all angsty when people reccommend my DCs names on here grin

I know nice Lydias and I don't think that the Vera Duckworth thing is even a consideration, as it will only be someone's twatty dad that brings that up.

MolotovBomb Mon 15-Oct-12 19:53:29

If a name is too popular, then I would be put off. An example is that DH and I really liked Isabella for DD1, but were overwhelmed by the Isabellas/Isobels that we knew and knew of.

That said, I couldn't have a name that was too unusual: "Mother" says imaginary DC to me in the future "why did you and Papa have to name me Mingus Foxtrot Winnebago?"

If you like Amelia, then it should be a consideration, despite it's popularity. I know 2 Amelias: one is 35 and the other is 6yo.

Lydia is a nice name but I'm not keen on Vera. It's just one of those 'old lady' names that needs to stay in the past, IMHO, with Doris and Beryl.

Also Vera Bates. Downton baddie.

DorisIsWaiting Mon 15-Oct-12 16:45:02

DD1 was Emily (when I named my daughter what I wanted and it didn't even cross my mind about popularity!)

DD2 was Lydia!

I think Vera in this country is particularly unpopular, probably due to the soap character, I'm trying really hard to see past that but I'm struggling I just see a hard name (completely different to your other 2 iyswim)

Notnowcato Mon 15-Oct-12 16:37:21

Sorry, the meaning of Vera isn't 'lovely'. I meant it has a lovely meaning: truth.

Must go and put the kettle on. I clearly need a cup of brain clarifying tea.

Notnowcato Mon 15-Oct-12 16:36:30

Sorry, should have said: 21 girls in my YEAR with same name.

Also, the 'unusual' names I have chosen for my 3 DC are all short and 'classic' but no longer popular so they get the advantages of easy to spell/remember and also simple. (Yes, we have weird surname too. Always needs spelling and often elicits the comment: Ooooh, is that French/German/Polynesian …?)

Lydia and Vera are both beautiful, musical names and, if you're interested, the meaning of Vera is lovely too.

Adore Lydia. Amelia is fine too but I can't warm to Vera despite the meaning. Like Verity though.

Some names are popular because they are perennial classics (ie always good); some names are popular because they are trendy (ie will date).

I dithered about Oliver because of its popularity, but decided it was classic-popular rather than trendy-popular and we call him Bobby anyway.

For what it's worth, the duplicated names in DS1's class aren't the top ten names.

EdithWeston Mon 15-Oct-12 16:03:37

The snag with Vera is the automatic "Duckworth" that follows it, because of the very longstanding Corrie character. I think it'll be a little while before that has faded enough in UK.

Frequency of use of a name is difficult to gauge, as the stats come out only once a year, a few months in arrears; so depending on your due date, the latest usage figures could be from 18months before.

I'd stick to the name you really want: you cannot predict if it'll have shifted up or down the list between publication and the birth - if it dropped 12 places and you hadn't used it, would you kick yourself? If it stays the same, does it matter? And it's a lovely classic name, in use for decades, and which won't be as strong a generational marker as say Ruby or Evie/Ava which blipped up from low usage.

3monkeys Mon 15-Oct-12 16:03:27

Didn't put me off. Mine all have common names as I wanted them to have something easy. We have a weird surname that always has to be spelt. DD has a very close friend with the same name as her and they don' mind at all

footphobic Mon 15-Oct-12 15:54:23

My three dds have classic but unusual names and I like the fact there are no others in their year or social groups. With one, a diminutive of it is very popular, but we don't shorten it.

We have a Lydia, often called Liddy. We have only met one other but not at the same school and I don't know anyone at all with youngest dd's name.

I don't think it's a reflection on the names that they are less popular as I think they are both lovely and work well at all ages.

Notnowcato Mon 15-Oct-12 15:33:47

Popularity definitely puts me off. I was one of 21 (count them) girls with same name in my secondary school (five classes), seven of them were in my class!!! Dreadful.

Am now meeting loads of mothers with my name: our children all have quite 'different' names smile

tammy234 Mon 15-Oct-12 15:00:33

Yes, it would put me off. I too hated having to share my name with quite a few others. There are SO many lovely names out there, does there really need to be yet another little Amelie (as nice as the name is) - agree that we sometimes forget why we name someone - to identify them.

I like Vera, also Veronica.

Yamyoid Mon 15-Oct-12 12:43:02

Sorry, yes popularity would put me off. I always liked Amelie since the film but by the time dd came along, I kept hearing it everywhere. So it was scrapped.

Vera is kind of nice but Vera Duckworth was such an established character in Coronation Street, it's hard to shake the connection. She makes the name feel quite hard, which I think it isn't really. But your dd's generation won't have any knowledge of that character so you should go for it if you want. And she won't have Ephiny's problem. My parents changed my name at 6 months cos it was so popular. I'm glad they did!

weegiemum Mon 15-Oct-12 12:38:55

It would put me off. I was one of 4 susans in my class, I hated it!

bigbluebump Mon 15-Oct-12 12:36:47

I think the reason some us don't like Vera is that we associate it with older women. You just need one little, cute Vera to completely change this association imo!

Ephiny Mon 15-Oct-12 12:36:12

Oh that was a lot of hmm faces. I guess that's how I feel about my name!

Ephiny Mon 15-Oct-12 12:35:46

It would put me off a bit. I have a very popular name for my age group - at one point there were five of us in one class at school and I could never be 'just' my name. Even first name plus initial didn't work as there were two of us with the same surname-initial hmm.

It's less of an issue as an adult as you don't tend to be so segregated by age at work etc, though there are two of us in the same office at the moment hmm. And I was at a charity event a couple of weeks ago where there were a lot of women of around my age, and I was constantly turning around hearing someone call my name (there were four of us that I identified, plus one dog hmm).

DH wants to use Emily or Amelie if we ever have a girl - I am saying no way!

bigbluebump Mon 15-Oct-12 12:35:36

Yes, popularity would put me off because for me a name is there to serve a purpose, namely to identify someone or something.

Lydia is lovely, as is Vera - both are not that widely used and would be lovely choices imo.

But Amelie/Emily/Amelia/Emilia has been overdone imo - there are just too many of them out there already!

elizaregina Mon 15-Oct-12 12:33:51

really like amelia - is popular but still not as much as olivia which has gone crazy for some reason....also soft, pretty with lovely nicknames....

elizaregina Mon 15-Oct-12 12:32:30

lydia is harsh and i know the harshest most horrid lydia there can be.

vera - no.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 15-Oct-12 12:27:46

Lydia is lovely.

<adds to baby names list>

ILikeRed Mon 15-Oct-12 12:02:28

Amelia has been my future daughter's name since I was fifteen and now that i'm finally thinking of becoming a mummy, it's suddenly the most popular name! I'm fuming!
Still, it'd never put me off. Should I be lucky enough to have a little girl, I'd want her to have the most beautiful name I could think of. You should go with what you love and hope (as I'm doing!!) that other people will be put off by the popularity of it...!

Dogsmom Mon 15-Oct-12 12:02:11

Popularity has put me off a name, I've always loved Lily and even used it for my German shepherd 13 years ago, I'm now 6 months pg but wont use it because of its popularity, when I was at school it was all Claires & Sarahs and they were all given nicknames according to surname/looks etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now