Indie/Indy

(32 Posts)
Pocketrocket11 Fri 05-Oct-12 16:51:27

I've always like the name Indie/Indy for a girl but it's only since being on MN I've noticed that people frown on short names used on the BC and everyone suggests India with Indy for short....But I hate India, no reason why, it just isn't the name I love.
Would Indy Loveday Rose be so wrong on the BC?

I love it smile

But I expect I'll be in the minority on this one given the reaction to Indigo when it was suggested on here recently.

My DD has a 'nickname' name. The full name just didn't suit her and imo isn't that nice and is far too posh for us. Choose the name you want.

jaffacakehips Fri 05-Oct-12 17:00:06

Ohhh I love Loveday!

Indy is a brilliant name. Personally I'd have India but that's just me.

But overall great name!

InchyInchy Fri 05-Oct-12 17:01:55

I love the name Indy, but gave it to my first puppy =)

TittyWhistles Fri 05-Oct-12 17:10:06

Indiana? Indira? Or agree with Bunny, Indigo is very sweet.

whistlestopcafe Fri 05-Oct-12 17:10:44

Indigo is very pretty.

whistlestopcafe Fri 05-Oct-12 17:11:00

Cross posts!

Pocketrocket11 Fri 05-Oct-12 17:27:32

Hmmm I do quite like Indigo but have been given very funny looks when I've said it. Also I don't think it flows with the middle names as well, which I love just as much and don't want to compromise on. I just wouldn't want her to be thought of as 'chavvy' or 'common' because of her shorter name.

YouMayLogOut Fri 05-Oct-12 18:36:50

How about a name ending in "inda", with nickname Indy? Belinda, Lucinda, Melinda? I like Indira best of the names beginning with Ind.

OrangeFireandGoldashes Sat 06-Oct-12 04:58:35

I'm generally a full-name-for-the-BC sort of person myself, but it's your baby so go with the name you like.

Personally I prefer the spelling Indi or Indie as Indy-with-a-y makes me think of the Indycar 500, plus followed by the y ending of Loveday (which is a gorgeous name - are you Cornish?) looks a bit odd IMO. But that's probably just me grin

Lovely name overall, really 'flows' euphonically.

whogivesaduck1 Sat 06-Oct-12 06:27:48

love it! i know a dog called indy, very sweet dog too!

wigglesrock Sat 06-Oct-12 08:29:00

Dr Jones, I presume grin I like it, but I would assume an Indiana Jones connection, but I agree I don't get the stick a full name on the bc just in case.

tiredteddy Sat 06-Oct-12 08:49:09

I really don't see the importance of "full" names on a BC. You become the name you are given. If you want to be something or do something as an adult your name really won't hinder that. My own name is a nickname of Katherine and my sisters is a nickname of Alexandra. My children have nickname names with no long versions. Often the BC name never gets used so just use the name you love. Indy is a great name IMO.

manicinsomniac Sat 06-Oct-12 09:47:17

I know a girl called Indie who is really Indianna

newby2 Sat 06-Oct-12 21:21:16

I started exactly the same thread around a month ago. It put me off using Indie completely. Beware!

Pocketrocket11 Sun 07-Oct-12 15:05:29

I know, I am prepared to be told it is a horrible, incomplete, burden of a name haha. I just love it and have done for a long time, nothing else quite feels the same and I don't really like any of the longer versions.

GobblersKnob Sun 07-Oct-12 15:09:33

I think it is important to have a 'real' name that you can fall back on should you need to and would give a long version that could be shortened to Indy.

Fwiw, I only know one Indy who is a man and a complete wanker.

Gunznroses Sun 07-Oct-12 15:10:24

Indy/indie - Independantly educated all the way then grin

...couldnt resist!

Tuttutitlookslikerain Sun 07-Oct-12 15:15:32

I have a family member called Indie. That is her name, it's not short for any thing.

I think it is lovely. Use it if you want to. It's your baby. You could call her the most run of the mill name going and you will still find some one who won't like it!

KateShmate Sun 07-Oct-12 15:41:55

I have a 5YO Indie smile
Her full name is Indiana, but we sort of wish that we had just called her 'Indie' in the first place as she is never ever called Indiana!
Obviously I think its gorgeous!

Tortoise Sun 07-Oct-12 15:45:18

I love the name Indigo.

Notafoodbabyanymore Sun 07-Oct-12 15:50:32

I don't understand why you need a "real" name to fall back on? What does that even mean? Who decides what constitutes a "real" name? Not trying to be horrible at all, just think that's a strange concept and not one I'm familiar with. Call your child anything you like, I say!

(Mind you, did once hear of twins called Pacman and Tetris. I'd call that taking things a bit too far in naming your kids what you like!)

MrsApplepants Sun 07-Oct-12 17:22:30

I love it! Prefer spelling Indie rather than Indy though.

newby2 Sun 07-Oct-12 20:42:35

I agree, we love the spelling Indie and don't think it's an incomplete name. It may even give a head chance in life by being a little different. It's got me thinking again!

LexiLoganberry Sun 07-Oct-12 21:44:37

Use the name you love, I can never understand why people give a longer name when they never plan to use it , if you'll only call your DD Indie then just call her Indie. I prefer it spelt this way but thats irrelevent. Beautiful name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now