Lou-ee

Metronomy Thu 11-Oct-12 09:54:40

Lou-ee.

bigbluebump Thu 11-Oct-12 10:50:38

I know a Louis pronounced Lou-is.

mathanxiety Thu 11-Oct-12 19:35:06

Loo-ee.

Loo-iss is Lewis.

Irish pronunciation is nearly always Loo-ee. It is the French pronunciation.

It is not difficult to learn to write your name if it doesn't look as it sounds. I have an Irish name that I learned to spell correctly long before I learned any Irish.

mayanna123 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:54:15

Depends where you live. In France (and many parts of the UK and Ireland, it seems) it is Lou-ee.

In America, Germany, Scandinavia, Holland etc Louis is pronounced phonetically, Lou-is.

mayanna123 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:57:50

And author Louis Sacher says of his own name that it is pronounced as
"loo-is sack-er (rhymes with cracker)"

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Thu 11-Oct-12 21:00:35

The two I know are Lou-ee.

evamummy Fri 12-Oct-12 11:53:17

The one at my ds's school goes by Lou-is.

Binkybix Fri 12-Oct-12 23:01:25

I would assume Lou-ee unless told otherwise. Of course, I would pronounce as the owner/parents preferred, but I think Lou-ee is a lot nicer.

DejaB00 Sun 04-Nov-12 13:35:49

Loo-ee
Louis Armstrong, Louis Vuitton, Louis Theroux, or even Louis Walsh! Olympian Louis Smith's parents should have spelt his name Lewis, as it is their pronunciation is totally wrong.
My son is called Louis and I've never had any problems with mispronunciation.

Teapot13 Sun 04-Nov-12 20:18:26

There is a thread about this nearly every week -- it is starting to rival baby showers.

The French say "Lou-ee." Americans (and many others) say "Lou-is." (We don't say "Lou-is" if the person is obviously French.) Why do British people get so upset about this? After all, you pronounce the "h" in "herbs", and the "t" in "filet" and "valet." There just isn't perfect agreement about which words we pronounce the French way and which ones we anglicize. It's not a matter of being "yoonique" (at least not in America).

There are lots of names, like Robert, Thomas or Charles, that are spelled the same but pronounced differently in the 2 languages. (And I would argue that the names Sophie and Natalie are not pronounced the same in the two languages, either -- English people don't say So-PHEE or Nah-tah-LEE. You don't say Lou-EE for that matter, either.)

And don't get me started on Pops.

sonniboo Sun 04-Nov-12 20:25:40

There is no WRONG or CORRECT way.

The French don't pronounce the last s in many words so Louis becomes Lou-ee, just like amis is pronounced am-ee. So Louis Theroux and Louis Vuitton are pronounced the French way. (Louis Walsh obviously likes the French way).

In English (and German, Dutch, Swedish, Spanish) we DO pronounce the s at the end of most words so Louis is pronounced Lou-is. The City of St Louis in Missouri is pronounced Lou-is. In Germany Louis is a very popular name and is always pronounced Lou-is.

Am surprised that so many English prefer the French pronunciation - the French are much keener to 'frenchify' our English names grin.

allagory Sun 04-Nov-12 20:58:10

I do agree (as a Mother of a Lou-ee) there is no right or wrong word.
But most of your other "facts" are a but dodgy! 1) Louis is not a German name. German name equivalent is Ludwig. Louis is an import, as it is into English. There is no German (or English for that matter) dipthong "oui" to my knowledge" 2) there are really no rules about pronouncing word endings in English Especially for imports.. It's just a hotch potch of bits and pieces which sometimes conform to original pronounciation , sometimes we change it.

DejaB00 Sun 04-Nov-12 21:20:12

teapot I get very upset about this because I have a Louis and I'm French grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now