Are fifties names having a revival?

(191 Posts)
Jusfloatingby Wed 03-Oct-12 16:47:22

In the last couple of months I've heard of a baby Jill, a baby Hilary and a baby Judy. I think of these as very fifties Enid Blytoney type names and am just wondering if the fashion for early twentieth century names like Edith, Iris and Ethel is now moving on to another stage?
I love the names Jill and Judy by the way.

I love Dotty and Betsy, if I ever have girls that will be their names.

notsosqueakyclean Fri 05-Oct-12 09:42:08

We have a dog called Rita - I love the name and think it's equally suit a girl - Rita Ora has made it cool again I think. I'm Shirley and have never liked my name - I can't imagine it coming back into fashion again! I was the youngest of 4 girls - my sisters all have decent names - think my parents ran out of ideas! I half thought of changing it to my middle name, Helen but think my Mum would be a little put out. I suppose one saving grace is it's not too common (except among over 60s). Think Shirley Temple was the inspiration - she's got a lot to answer for in my opinion!

johnworf Fri 05-Oct-12 09:42:56

I considered Dorothy (Dottie) and Miriam for my DD#2.

pigletmania Fri 05-Oct-12 09:57:31

I have heard of an Elsie, myrtle and Paula, Victoria I am hearing more older names coming back

pigletmania Fri 05-Oct-12 09:59:24

Oh and someone I know had a baby called George, stanley

squoosh Fri 05-Oct-12 10:58:21

Hazel is another 1950's frump name.

Jusfloatingby Fri 05-Oct-12 11:31:51

Oh, I like Hazel.

What about Heather? And there was nearly always a Cynthia in those old boarding school stories.

Merida Fri 05-Oct-12 11:42:42

I named DS after my two grandads. If I'd had a girl I don't think I'd have had the heart/bottle/inclination to call her after my grandmothers... altho I guess there wouoldn't be too many Harriet Otilia's out there..!

squoosh Fri 05-Oct-12 11:47:04

For me Heather is more 1980's American cheerleader.

Cynthia is a bit frosty and stuck up, married to Bernard who has a good job at the bank. Bernard and his secretary Jean (oh Jean you're always such a trollop) spend a lot of time in his office doing 'dictation'.

Jusfloatingby Fri 05-Oct-12 12:17:59

Yes, Cynthia was always a snooty little cow, boasting about how well off her father was (self made, no background, from what I've heard).
As for Jean, I believe June and Colin don't even speak to her anymore since that incident at the Colin's birthday buffet.

squoosh Fri 05-Oct-12 12:30:19

I forgot the incident at Colin and June's buffet. It was the deviled eggs under the nest of tables that gave the game away apparently. Jean tried to cover it up with a doilie but everyone knew.

Jusfloatingby Fri 05-Oct-12 13:02:53

I believe June's hostess trolley has never worked properly since.

StellaNova Fri 05-Oct-12 14:29:32

Re: Joan, I can't help but think of Buffy losing her memory:

Dawn: You want me to name you?
Buffy: Oh, that's sweet, but I think I can name myself. I'll name me... "Joan".
Dawn: Ugh.
Buffy/Joan: What? Did you just "ugh" my name?
Dawn: No, I just... I mean, Joan, it's so blah.
Buffy/Joan: I like it. I feel like a "Joan".
Dawn: Fine, that's your purgative.
Buffy/Joan: "Prerogative".
Dawn: Whatever, Joan.

Tigerbomb Fri 05-Oct-12 14:47:54

Please don't resurrect Rita. People misread my name and call me that. It's vile

Joan always sounds glamorous, probably because I associate it with Joan Crawford but it is not a name I would inflict on a child.

When will all the new little Sharon and Tracey's appear?

squoosh Fri 05-Oct-12 15:08:44

Rita.

a)Rita Hayworth
b)Rita from Corrie
c)Rita from 'Rita, Sue and Bob Too'

Jusfloatingby Fri 05-Oct-12 16:31:21

Rita is more a 'chip shop' 1950s name. If Rita had been at Malory Towers she would have been smoking out of the dormitory window and cracking open the beer at midnight feasts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now