Are fifties names having a revival?

(191 Posts)
Jusfloatingby Wed 03-Oct-12 16:47:22

In the last couple of months I've heard of a baby Jill, a baby Hilary and a baby Judy. I think of these as very fifties Enid Blytoney type names and am just wondering if the fashion for early twentieth century names like Edith, Iris and Ethel is now moving on to another stage?
I love the names Jill and Judy by the way.

RillaBlythe Thu 04-Oct-12 09:38:33

I know a baby Cindy. Not sure about that one.

MadBusLady Thu 04-Oct-12 09:52:08

I'm not either. But I love Cynthia! There aren't really any other nicknames. Cyn is even worse because of the sound! Thia? But that's practically a different name.

Jusfloatingby Thu 04-Oct-12 10:10:49

Re Enid Blyton type names, I think Ann must surely be due a comeback. It's been out of fashion for ages.

Here in Ireland typical 50s names were horrible: Bernie, Philomena, Patricia, Geraldine, Teresa, Marie. English names of that vintage were much, much nicer.

Quadrangle Thu 04-Oct-12 10:12:59

You could shorten Philomena to Mena and you could shorten Teresa to Tess. I like those nns. Quite like Marie.

manicinsomniac Brazil Thu 04-Oct-12 10:13:41

In 40 years time all the Kayleighs, Donnas and Michelles will be in nursing homes being looked after by Lily, Rose and Esme grin

mommybunny Thu 04-Oct-12 10:14:35

Jusfloatingby - you have no idea how many of those names are in my (Irish-American) family. I hope you're right about Ann - a more unfashionable name you could not imagine wink.

Jusfloatingby Thu 04-Oct-12 10:14:39

I like Tess and Tessa. In Ireland in the 50s Marie was usually pronounced Maaree as opposed to Ma-ree which isn't as nice.

Jusfloatingby Thu 04-Oct-12 10:15:51

Sorry mommybunny. I hope I wasn't insulting you.

Quadrangle Thu 04-Oct-12 10:16:57

Someone called Gloria could only ever be fun. She would have a throaty laugh and long red nails and all the men would fancy her.

Quadrangle Thu 04-Oct-12 10:18:28

I think Joan and Betty have been made very cool indeed by Mad Men

Quadrangle Thu 04-Oct-12 10:23:49

When Lily, Rose and Esme end up in the nursing home they will be looked after by a new generation of Jean, Joan and Junes and it will have gone full circle.

Jusfloatingby Thu 04-Oct-12 10:27:09

What about Jane Quadrangle? sad

I really love that name and want it to come back into fashion NOW.

bacon Thu 04-Oct-12 10:31:20

I had Pearl, Ethal and Gwladys as options for #2 ended up with another boy.

I hate popular/trendy names.

Quadrangle Thu 04-Oct-12 10:31:55

I like Jane. I think it is quite classy. It makes me think of Henry VIII's wife Jane Seymour.

Quadrangle Thu 04-Oct-12 10:34:24

I think Pearl is very cool because of Pearl Lowe.

StellaNova Thu 04-Oct-12 10:37:10

Like Anne of Green Gables I prefer Anne-with-an-e.

StellaNova Thu 04-Oct-12 10:38:18

mommybunny there was a whole thread about Blanche a while back, which started with everyone hating it and then people started growing into it...

squoosh Thu 04-Oct-12 10:46:00

Stella anytime I hear the name Blanche I now think of that thread grin
People really came around to it, I think it's a brilliant name!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/a1449031-I-promised-DH-he-could-name-the-baby-Now-Ive-changed-my-mind

And yes Anne must always be spelt with an E. Ann looks awful, Anne looks a trilliion times better.

<Anne of Green Gables superfan emoticon>

SnotandBothered Thu 04-Oct-12 11:01:57

Love Blance
Love Rita
Love Shirley
Love Betsey

When I was small I always wanted to be called Carol or Maggie (which is what all my mums friends were called) hmm

Then later on Tina which to me epitomised all that was glamorous. confused

I would have found 50's names really frumpy

It's funny how our perception of what's glamorous changes. I now think 50s names do seem glamorous, but I suspect it has a lot to do with Mad Men.

mommybunny Thu 04-Oct-12 11:24:49

squoosh, agree with you on Blanche, but please do go easy on Ann... wink

wheresthebloodydogmummy Thu 04-Oct-12 11:53:07

A mate recently named her girl Maggie. We were all a bit hmm but the cuteness factor is well high.

Latara Thu 04-Oct-12 11:54:14

Firstly: a plea from my 80 year old neighbour... she says ''please never call your daughter 'Winifred' or she will never forgive you!''

(If i was given just £1 for every elderly lady i meet who hates her name & uses a totally different name; then i would be very rich indeed, so beware!).

Re: 1950s names - These are the most common names of the women i know born 1945-59; quite often they seem to prefer to use nicknames based on their Christian names:

Susan (Sue)
Jacqueline (Jackie)
Julie (Jules)
Valerie (Val)
Patricia (Pat, Patsy, Tricia, Trisha, Trish)
Joyce (Joycie)
Christine (Chris, Chrissie, Chrissy, Christy, Tina
Jane / Jayne (Janey)
Ann / Anne / Annette / Annie
Barbara (Babs)
Carol / Caroline
Janet (Jan)

I think it's best to try to be original (but not eccentrically so) in name choices if possible.

For example i know lots of women named 'Sue' in the 35 - 65 age group (the younger Sues tend to be Suzanna / Suzanne or Susanne / Susanna as well as Susan.
I think Susan is a pretty name actually, but the name is so common that in conversation i have to use extra identifiers eg. give a surname / description or my relationship to the 'Sue' in question.

Tedharry Thu 04-Oct-12 12:01:31

Not really %0s but my Grannies/ great aunts names were Ruth, Phyllis and Diana. Love Phyllis now. Can just imagine a little girl called Phyllis

Jusfloatingby Thu 04-Oct-12 12:02:51

Funny, I hate Phyllis but think Ruth and Diana are lovely. I could never understand why there wasn't a big revival of the name Diana in the eighties.

evamummy Thu 04-Oct-12 12:04:31

Peter?
Richard?
Bernhard?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now