Melanie

(36 Posts)
Gwennan Fri 28-Sep-12 10:27:45

Just 50 baby girls were named Melanie in 2011.

I think it looks and sounds very pretty but:
1. Is the nickname Mel inevitable?
2. Is it a bit mumsy?

What do you think?

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Thu 04-Oct-12 11:30:14

Imho I think its a horrid mumsy name.

shoppingtrolley Thu 04-Oct-12 11:28:55

Why don't you try Elodie? Similar but more now.

Jusfloatingby Thu 04-Oct-12 11:23:45

And she is now about forty and debating whether to call her final dd Beryl, Elsie or Gladys.

squoosh Thu 04-Oct-12 01:18:00

I automatically think of a girl with a tight perm and a penchant for wearing luminous green leg warmers to school. She spends maths class daydreaming about going on a date with Andrew Ridgeley.

pinkandyellowbutterfly Thu 04-Oct-12 00:46:55

I think its nice. It worked for the Spice Girls - they had 2 of them! wink

Napdamnyou Wed 03-Oct-12 13:26:26

Melanie at my school was called Melons as soon as she developed a bust, poor thing.

Ebb Wed 03-Oct-12 11:46:38

My middle name is Melanie. My Dad used to call me Smelly Melly. hmm As far as I'm aware I didn't smell! I think it's a pretty name. My Mum first heard the name when watching Gone with the wind and loved it. I know a lot of Melanies and most are shortened to Mel.

Makes me think of the spice girls.

And mel from mel and sue.

I love Melody.

OhChristFENTON Wed 03-Oct-12 11:33:20

I knew a Melanie at school and she was just lovely, very kind and very pretty - so it has a thumbs up from me.

imawigglyworm Wed 03-Oct-12 11:31:02

I think its a fab name wink im mostly known as Mel tbh.
But I think a lot of kids grow up not liking their name at some stage. If you like it go for it dont worry about what other people think or whats 'in fashion' some older names make comebacks at some point too.
I like it cause it can be shortened - as your DD gets older she can choose how she wants to be known.

Jusfloatingby Wed 03-Oct-12 11:22:08

Yes, but if a name is 'mumsy' in your head you are just not going to use it. Most names come and go in popularity - if you grew up and went to school with lots of girls with particular names, you just don't tend to choose them for your own children.

OrangeFireandGoldashes Wed 03-Oct-12 11:05:45

If more people used the name they liked regardless of where it was in this apparent 30-50 year 'cycle' rather than being too concerned whether it was 'mumsy' or 'dated' then fewer names would BE 'mumsy' or 'dated' because more people of all ages would have that name. Or something...

DawnOfTheDee Wed 03-Oct-12 10:38:23

I think it's a very pretty name.

TittyWhistles Wed 03-Oct-12 10:20:26

It's just bleh.

Jusfloatingby Wed 03-Oct-12 10:18:14

I used to absolutely love this name when I was a child but it does sound a bit dated now.
I'm not into the whole idea of everyone naming their children the latest 'fashionable' names but I definitely think certain names are 'dated' as opposed to 'old fashioned' and go through a period where they just have a middle aged vibe about them eg Jackie, Yvonne, Debbie.

Puremince Sat 29-Sep-12 00:03:29

I know a 19 year old Melanie. I've never thought her name sounded dated.

StellaNova Fri 28-Sep-12 23:08:52

1. Yes
2. No. I don't know any mums called Melanie. And even if it was, all it takes is one super cool actress/ model/ fictional character with the name to pop up in a few years time and suddenly it will be all trendy.

jellybeans Fri 28-Sep-12 23:06:16

I like it. But do prefer Melissa and Melody. I think Mel is inevitable though.

RosehipJam Fri 28-Sep-12 17:29:54

Sorry for any confusion, amck, I meant to say that I was responding to BoerWarKids' comment too!

It's odd with a child's colouring, they can go from red haired to blond to dark, all before they're teenagers and then they decide to start dying their hair and they're back to what they began life with!

amck5700 Fri 28-Sep-12 14:58:10

lol - the Melanie I know has a sister Melissa. I meant that it sounded alike Rosehip smile

...and as regards the colouring, I have a Ciar which has a similar meaning, I'm dark, my OH more so and when he was born he had dark hair and colouring........then went blond! at age 11 now he is darkening down a fair bit.

RosehipJam Fri 28-Sep-12 14:51:39

I agree amck5700, it probably works better with children with golden or olive complexions, just as I always imagine a Lucy or an Astrid to be fair.

On the other hand, now I'm thinking about it, there isn't a rule that says that it must be literal, it could just mean 'dark' as in contemplative and complex as her samesake saint was.

Not sure about Melody being similar, although the first half is identical, it is a bit too Kimberley for my liking.

I don't like Melissa, I don't know why. Perhaps it is just a bit too aspirant, a bit 80s rotary club, navy blazer and brass buttons, like Amanda.

amck5700 Fri 28-Sep-12 14:38:54

The only Melanie I know is 50 so right on the button then for revival. smile

She does get called Mel - but only on her terms!!

She is dark which is the meaning of the name so suits it perfectly - it would feel wrong on a blond child to me.

Melody sounds similar if you've been put off.

RosehipJam Fri 28-Sep-12 14:37:59

On the 1901 cenus, there were 1194
On the 1911 census, there were 1253 in this country.

OP, I'm not sure if these stats will allay your fears or confirm them!

The name has been in use consistently if not in quantity. It had a quiet time in the 1860s, when there were 51 on the census.

MadBusLady Fri 28-Sep-12 14:26:18

As I said, I'm not ruling it out because it's "not fashionable". I don't like super-fashionable names either.

dreamingofsun Fri 28-Sep-12 14:22:49

agree with madbus. i have a name from my mother's era and i hate it with a passion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now