Melanie

(36 Posts)
Gwennan Fri 28-Sep-12 10:27:45

Just 50 baby girls were named Melanie in 2011.

I think it looks and sounds very pretty but:
1. Is the nickname Mel inevitable?
2. Is it a bit mumsy?

What do you think?

Jusfloatingby Wed 03-Oct-12 11:22:08

Yes, but if a name is 'mumsy' in your head you are just not going to use it. Most names come and go in popularity - if you grew up and went to school with lots of girls with particular names, you just don't tend to choose them for your own children.

imawigglyworm Wed 03-Oct-12 11:31:02

I think its a fab name wink im mostly known as Mel tbh.
But I think a lot of kids grow up not liking their name at some stage. If you like it go for it dont worry about what other people think or whats 'in fashion' some older names make comebacks at some point too.
I like it cause it can be shortened - as your DD gets older she can choose how she wants to be known.

OhChristFENTON Wed 03-Oct-12 11:33:20

I knew a Melanie at school and she was just lovely, very kind and very pretty - so it has a thumbs up from me.

Makes me think of the spice girls.

And mel from mel and sue.

I love Melody.

Ebb Wed 03-Oct-12 11:46:38

My middle name is Melanie. My Dad used to call me Smelly Melly. hmm As far as I'm aware I didn't smell! I think it's a pretty name. My Mum first heard the name when watching Gone with the wind and loved it. I know a lot of Melanies and most are shortened to Mel.

Napdamnyou Wed 03-Oct-12 13:26:26

Melanie at my school was called Melons as soon as she developed a bust, poor thing.

pinkandyellowbutterfly Thu 04-Oct-12 00:46:55

I think its nice. It worked for the Spice Girls - they had 2 of them! wink

squoosh Thu 04-Oct-12 01:18:00

I automatically think of a girl with a tight perm and a penchant for wearing luminous green leg warmers to school. She spends maths class daydreaming about going on a date with Andrew Ridgeley.

Jusfloatingby Thu 04-Oct-12 11:23:45

And she is now about forty and debating whether to call her final dd Beryl, Elsie or Gladys.

shoppingtrolley Thu 04-Oct-12 11:28:55

Why don't you try Elodie? Similar but more now.

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Thu 04-Oct-12 11:30:14

Imho I think its a horrid mumsy name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now