chosen popular name

(56 Posts)
blondie72 Thu 14-Jun-12 13:44:31

My daughter is 3.5 and we chose a really popular name for her and I regret it every day. My husband thinks I'm mad but It's driving me crazy. Anyone else feel the same? Is there anything I can do?

wigglesrock Sun 17-Jun-12 21:04:51

I am in danger of outing myself but here goes grin I have a 4 year old Olivia, she has just had her induction at primary school. Out of a huge intake of P1s she's the only Olivia, she was the only one in nursery school as well.

The popularity of the name doesn't bother me in the slightest, I picked it because I loved it when she was born, I know there are allegedly grin lots but I've yet to stumble across them. She gets Liv sometimes but not Livvy.

amieis Sun 17-Jun-12 22:08:22

my dd is olivia... She was born this year and if she'd been a boy sh'd have been oliver. We didn't know at the time it was the most popular name and now we know we don't care because we love the name! We hyphenate her first name as dp wanted her to be named after his aunt who sadly passed away when she was very young, but not directly (if that makes sense)
She sometimes gets shortened to livvy or liv, but me and dp usually end up just calling her vee
Olivia is a beautiful name and its irrelevant how many other people have the name because its your dds name and she's special... She might share a na$e with someone but it won't mean she's the same!

bradbourne Sun 17-Jun-12 22:19:24

I think Olivia is a lovely name.

It's not that common where I am - I'm pretty sure (99%) that there is no Olivia in ds's school of 200 pupils. There are, however, loads of children called Ava or Ella, or, for the boys, Charlie or Henry.

FWIW, I had a name that was unusual at the time I was growing up (although it is very popular with babies and toddlers at the moment and I always envied the children with a more popular name like Samantha or Sharon (of whom there were loads in my school).

As for what you could do... think of an unusual nickname. Use her midlle name, either alone or with Olivia - e.g. Olivia Rose.

WineOhWhy Sun 17-Jun-12 22:25:15

If you want to go the nn route and want to avoid the obvious ones, I know an Olivia who is known as Polly. Vivi might also work?

Buntingbunny Sun 17-Jun-12 22:26:04

Don't worry, they short it out when they start school etc.

We have a horde of Isabelles at ballet, they very quickly shared the various nn about and are very much individuals.

Anyway even relatively unusual names can cause trouble. High school suddenly realised Y7 had two "Julie Roberts". They were the only "Julies" in the whole school and they happened to have a moderately common local surname. Given the complete look of shock on the teachers face I'm not actually sure school realised there were two of them.

cece Sun 17-Jun-12 22:26:32

I work in a school - 250 kids. My DC are at school - 350 kids. Youngest DC is at Nursery - 30 kids.

I know a few Olivias but not that many really consideriing how many DC I know. Bear in mind DC also know children at cubs, Guides, netball, gym, rugby etc.. too.

Probably about 2 or 3 Olivias out of all those children.

Olivia may well be top of the popularity lists but that doesn't mean there are that many really!

yellowraincoat Sun 17-Jun-12 22:27:49

Not sure why it's such a big deal to choose a popular name. It's a name. Not that big a deal.

cece Sun 17-Jun-12 22:37:48

Actually I agree, having a popular name is no big deal. In fact they are popular for a reason - because they are a nice name!

In my own case I started out with a more unusual name for first DC (funnily enough it is now quite popular) and with each child chosen more and more popular names! LOL And I really don't care, as I love their name and I love them iyswim.

How about Lollie as a nn?
The boys top ten names covers tens of Thousands of boys. The girls top ten covers much much less.
We seem to use more variety of girls names than boys.
So even though it's top 5, there are a lot lot less than total of top 5 boys

winkle2 Sun 17-Jun-12 23:53:59

Lovely name.

I like the suggestion of Vivi as a nn.

Might steal this for my list!!

blondie72 Mon 18-Jun-12 13:40:15

Thank you all for your messages! I'm feeling much better now!! x

SingingSands Mon 18-Jun-12 13:49:18

Olivia is a lovely name, and even if she goes to school with 4 other Olivia's it doesn't matter. She isn't going to spend her entire life with those 4 others!

Where I work there are 4 Julies, 3 Sarahs, 4 Susans and 3 Laurens and 2 Charlottes - that's just my small department! I don't stress about other people having the same name as myself, I don't even think about it!

I have an 8 year old daughter with a popular name. I didn't know it was popular when I picked it because I didn't have much to do with other kids back then. My FIL rang up to tell me it was the most popular name in England for baby girls and had been for years. So what? Does every child have to have a unique name? How about we just award new babies a barcode and a reference number! Sorry, this is turning into a rant blush

hefner Tue 19-Jun-12 10:58:41

I agree Olivia is a lovely name and I don't think it matters that it is popular. It has loads of nice nn so even if your DD does end up in a class with another Olivia she will be able to use a different nn if she wants to. I gave my daughter a name that is apparently very common, although I haven't come across any others at baby groups or nursery so far. My DD's name is also loathed by mumset (apparently a drippy name, a dogs name, too cutesy for a grown woman and just a nn not a proper name) but I don't care! As long as you like the name and it suits your DD that's all that matters imo.

I am in my 50s. In my class of 30 at school there were 7 Catherines - all spelt differently and all with a different nickname and strangely we always knew which one was being referred to. My DD now has several friends called Kate/Katie.

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

MarySA Tue 19-Jun-12 11:25:06

It's a really pretty name. And I only know of one Olivia and she's about 10 or 11. I wouldn't worry about it.

savoycabbage Tue 19-Jun-12 11:33:52

There are 438 children at my dd's primary school and only one Olivia.

ThisAintKansas Tue 19-Jun-12 17:49:21

Lots of names are popular because they are lovely. Olivia is one of them.

Btw, I think Olivia was re popular about 10 years ago. I dont know any little Olivias.

suburbandream Tue 19-Jun-12 17:57:07

My DS1 has a v.popular boys name and we didn't realise at the time - we didn't read any of the baby name charts/books, just chose it because we liked it. When we realised how popular it was, DH and I were both quite upset - there seems to be about one boy in every class at school with this name. I've come to like it again now, and the way I see it is that when he is out in the big wide world he'll be coming into contact with people from all places and with all ages, so he won't be surrounded by his namesakes IYSWIM. I grew up in the 70s and there were hundreds of Sharons and Traceys about but now I don't know any smile.

blondie72 Tue 19-Jun-12 20:29:52

Thank you for all your comments. I feel much better about it now. It's funny because we named DS Benjamin, another very popular name, but somehow that hasn't bothered me as much. My husband has a popular name for his age and we know lots of other men with the same name and he has said it has never bothered him. Like I said, he thinks I'm bonkers!

FriskyMare Tue 19-Jun-12 20:36:27

Love Liv like Liv Tyler!

wigglesrock Tue 19-Jun-12 20:42:03

blondie72 Oh both your childrens names are beautiful together. My husband always wanted Benjamin but 3 girls later he can just put that idea to rest grin

strawberryswing Tue 19-Jun-12 20:43:44

don't worry about it! she may love having a name that is popular, i know growing up i wished id had a name that wasn't so un-common. and its a beautiful name smile

IvanaNap Tue 19-Jun-12 20:47:34

Ben and Olivia were two of our top 5! Both timeless, both lovely smile

PetitRat Tue 19-Jun-12 20:51:10

But Olivia is such a lovely, timeless, classic name. I thought you were going to confess to calling her something very "now", very transient. You haven't - you've given her a beautiful name which just happens to be popular now - big difference.

kilmuir Tue 19-Jun-12 20:57:21

I have a 5 year old and a 4 year old, no Olivias in their classes. Beautiful name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now