Chinese middle names for a not-very-chinese girl...

(9 Posts)
Shwenn Tue 09-Oct-12 14:39:49

There are (usually) 3 parts to a chinese name :

<Surname> <2-characters person's name>

Traditionally, families(from great-grandparents' time or earlier) will have set a naming tradition which is known as a "Generation" name, ie if surname is Tan,

Tan <Li> Meng
Tan <Li> Wei

<Li> being the generation name.. a generation name can be the 2nd or 3rd character. ie

Tan Wei <Li>
Tan Jay <Li>

My brother follows the generation name while us girls have a different character but like a spin-off from the generation name.

Mei/May Lin is a very common and pretty chinese name. My name is also pretty common in Sout East Asia, pronounced as Sue Lin (Su Lin/ Sue Lyn/ Soo Lin). Good luck and hope you have found just the right one for DD.

LilyBolero Sun 12-Feb-12 13:32:32

tbh I think you need to speak to a chinese name expert really, because although the single characters can be translated, a chinese name is never just 'picked', there are various rules etc, and some characters would not be put together, and a name would always be two characters, so you need to check out the combinations with someone who is utterly familiar with how it all works.

I think in China, this would be done as a matter of course, to check how 'auspicious' a name is!

JuluLu Sun 12-Feb-12 13:29:42

Hana is Japanese. It means flower. How about:

Ming - bright
Mei - beautiful
Li - beautiful
Jin - gold
Hua - flower
Fei - flying

LilyBolero Sat 11-Feb-12 11:55:02

Is the family tree bit where every member of the same generation has a 2-part name, with the first part being the same? From an old Chinese poem? If so, that can easily be used for girls as well (my family have done this).
I like Jia Chi
or Jia Mi
or Su Ling

sparkle12mar08 Sat 11-Feb-12 11:54:07

Don't know how traditionally Chinese this one is but there's a lovely little girl in ds2's nursery called Hana.

Tirana Sat 11-Feb-12 11:45:58

I always liked Jing Mei as a Chinese girl's name. It was a character in ER a long time ago. It has a nice musicality about it - no idea if it's Mandarin or Cantonese though?

Purplelooby Fri 10-Feb-12 22:14:04

Jia Li sounds cute. I should add that DH's family are mandarin speaking rather than Cantonese.

To explain the questions above, I would have to introduce you to FIL. As much as I love him... ;)

muffinino82 Fri 10-Feb-12 21:39:39

Why/how will FIL enforce a name on you hmm She's your baby, how odd.

Not much help with names, really, as I have a friend who's married to a Chinese national and her children have Welsh names like her grin I like Mei Lin, it's pretty. A quick google throws up Jiang Li or Jia Li, which I think has a lovely sound to it.

Purplelooby Fri 10-Feb-12 21:30:30

DH is half Chinese would really like us to use Chinese middle names for our children.

If it's a boy then it's easy because there is some complex family tree system that will sort out the name for us (although I think we can change it a bit if it ends up being rude - like anything with Wang in), but if it's a girl then we sort of choose ourselves (or FIL will enforce a name on us which is why we need to think of one first!).

So far I like LiLi and Mei Lin. Does anyone have suggestions??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now