A boys name that works in English and Spanish.

(39 Posts)
Chica31 Sun 19-Sep-10 12:41:59

We are really struggling with this. We live in Spain and both my husband and I are English. I really want a boys name that works in both languages. Girls names are easy, loads work both ways, but boys I am finding really hard!

Our dd is called Isabel Naiomi to give you a clue of names we like.

Help please, I don't know why but I am getting really stressed about it!

badtime Fri 12-Oct-12 13:48:38

Inigo (montoyayoukilledmyfatherpreparetodie)
Gabriel

lalabaloo Fri 12-Oct-12 00:24:48

Lucas, Nicolas, Marcus, Michael/Mikael? George/Jorge?

peterpie Thu 11-Oct-12 17:53:02

I spent ages trying to find boys names that work in both languages. I am English married to Spanish DH and we live in Spain.
I really don´t think there are any names for boys that are pronounced the same, like you say it is much easier for girls.
Fast forward a few years and I wish I hadn´t have been quite as bothered and just gone with names I like.
All the British couples I know here just went with English names and I don´t think it has caused them any problems.

Good luck -I think boys names are really difficult!

redskyatnight Wed 10-Oct-12 13:15:52

Was also going to say Sebastian - which was quite high in last year's baby names list, so no one will find it "odd".

AbbiG Wed 10-Oct-12 13:08:49

We had the same issue ... our boy is called Sebastian.

BikeRunSki Fri 24-Sep-10 19:41:53

Ricardo/Rick... nothing wrong with alliterative names.

I went to uni with an English/Italian Richard know to everyone as Ricardo!

mathanxiety Fri 24-Sep-10 19:34:49

Efraim
Angel
Elias
Elian
Felix
Leo
Leonardo
Luca
Mateo
Nicolas
Lavrans
Simon
Teodor

Chica31 Fri 24-Sep-10 10:45:41

Thanks everyone, Love the name Jordi, I had a little boy called Jordi in my class a couple of years ago and he was a real cutie.

William was also one of the names I was thinking of.

Kathleen123 Thu 23-Sep-10 17:19:23

Oooh Ruben is nice too.

Kathleen123 Thu 23-Sep-10 17:17:58

Love love the name Rafael.

Kiki84 Thu 23-Sep-10 12:25:34

Cristiano

sebsmama Tue 21-Sep-10 16:59:28

What about Sebastian? I am biased but it would sound great in either language. Ony prob would be that I believe the Spanish version is Sebastien (might be wrong..)

PutTheKettleOn Tue 21-Sep-10 16:20:48

I used to live in Spain, love Spanish names, but wouldn't have worked for us as we are both English and now live in England. If I could move back to Spain I would call my little boy (if I had one!) Gabriel - love the name, works in English too, but less airy-fairy sounding in Spain so you can get away with it!

Otherwise I was going to suggest David - different pronunciation but same name. Or Ignacio and shorten to Iggy for English relatives?

giddly Tue 21-Sep-10 11:37:40

Jordi?

Sari Tue 21-Sep-10 11:33:11

William. Everyone will be able to pronounce it even if it's not a Spanish name. I know a William with a Spanish mother and British father.

Chica31 Mon 20-Sep-10 19:28:08

DH doesn't like Ruben as our surname begins with a R. Plus we really need to use the name Robert as a middle name at least, DH, his Dad, his Grandad ..... are all called, Robert something but are called by their middle name

Chica31 Mon 20-Sep-10 19:25:27

Thanks meow I love the name Tomas, but 3 of my friends have a Thomas.

Chica31 Mon 20-Sep-10 19:22:39

I wish I had let the doctor tell me the sex of the baby at the scan now. He was just about to say, when I suddenly remembered, I don't want to know. All my friends, who are Spanish, think I am mad! But we didn't know for DD either. The doctors at the hospital think it is some funny old English tradition not to find out.

Please keep more names coming I need more ideas. Thanks every one.

Meow75 Mon 20-Sep-10 19:22:24

My nephew who is British, but has lived in Lanza since he was 4 months old, and his name is Tomas (I think there is an accent of some description on the "a" but I'm not sure.

He is now nearly 4 yrs old, btw.

Chica31 Mon 20-Sep-10 19:19:41

I really like Ruben, great name! On the list now.

Oliver is another great name, but a childhood friend has recently used it and our mums are still very good friends, so no

Sari Mon 20-Sep-10 13:16:26

Oliver works well. Also shortened.

Tuschinski Mon 20-Sep-10 13:10:00

Ruben

Chica31 Sun 19-Sep-10 17:27:30

Yes, we are planning on being here long term, we have already lived here for years and both speak Spanish well.

I love the name David, but it is my Dad's name.

If you're planning to stay in Spain long-term I don't think it would sound affected to use a Spanish name (actually, personally I don't think it would sound affected anyway, but I don't see how a Spanish name could sound affected for a family living in Spain, assuming the children are growing up speaking Spanish outside the home).

A Spanish-Scottish couple we know who are expecting in a few weeks <waves to J if she's reading> are planning on David for a boy. The pronunciation is slightly different across the two languages, but they aren't bothered by that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now