A boys name that works in English and Spanish.

(39 Posts)
Chica31 Sun 19-Sep-10 12:41:59

We are really struggling with this. We live in Spain and both my husband and I are English. I really want a boys name that works in both languages. Girls names are easy, loads work both ways, but boys I am finding really hard!

Our dd is called Isabel Naiomi to give you a clue of names we like.

Help please, I don't know why but I am getting really stressed about it!

giddly Tue 21-Sep-10 11:37:40

Jordi?

PutTheKettleOn Tue 21-Sep-10 16:20:48

I used to live in Spain, love Spanish names, but wouldn't have worked for us as we are both English and now live in England. If I could move back to Spain I would call my little boy (if I had one!) Gabriel - love the name, works in English too, but less airy-fairy sounding in Spain so you can get away with it!

Otherwise I was going to suggest David - different pronunciation but same name. Or Ignacio and shorten to Iggy for English relatives?

sebsmama Tue 21-Sep-10 16:59:28

What about Sebastian? I am biased but it would sound great in either language. Ony prob would be that I believe the Spanish version is Sebastien (might be wrong..)

Kiki84 Thu 23-Sep-10 12:25:34

Cristiano

Kathleen123 Thu 23-Sep-10 17:17:58

Love love the name Rafael.

Kathleen123 Thu 23-Sep-10 17:19:23

Oooh Ruben is nice too.

Chica31 Fri 24-Sep-10 10:45:41

Thanks everyone, Love the name Jordi, I had a little boy called Jordi in my class a couple of years ago and he was a real cutie.

William was also one of the names I was thinking of.

mathanxiety Fri 24-Sep-10 19:34:49

Efraim
Angel
Elias
Elian
Felix
Leo
Leonardo
Luca
Mateo
Nicolas
Lavrans
Simon
Teodor

BikeRunSki Fri 24-Sep-10 19:41:53

Ricardo/Rick... nothing wrong with alliterative names.

I went to uni with an English/Italian Richard know to everyone as Ricardo!

AbbiG Wed 10-Oct-12 13:08:49

We had the same issue ... our boy is called Sebastian.

redskyatnight Wed 10-Oct-12 13:15:52

Was also going to say Sebastian - which was quite high in last year's baby names list, so no one will find it "odd".

peterpie Thu 11-Oct-12 17:53:02

I spent ages trying to find boys names that work in both languages. I am English married to Spanish DH and we live in Spain.
I really don´t think there are any names for boys that are pronounced the same, like you say it is much easier for girls.
Fast forward a few years and I wish I hadn´t have been quite as bothered and just gone with names I like.
All the British couples I know here just went with English names and I don´t think it has caused them any problems.

Good luck -I think boys names are really difficult!

lalabaloo Fri 12-Oct-12 00:24:48

Lucas, Nicolas, Marcus, Michael/Mikael? George/Jorge?

badtime Fri 12-Oct-12 13:48:38

Inigo (montoyayoukilledmyfatherpreparetodie)
Gabriel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now