This topic is for discussing baby monitors. If you want to buy or sell baby monitors, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

how long do you use a baby monitor for?

(12 Posts)
GwenGotLost Sat 03-Mar-12 13:41:31

I mean, when do (or did) you start to use one, and when did you stop using one? I'm sure it's a personal thing with confidence levels, specific health problems being a factor etc, but in general, what kind of age?

also, and additional question, what sound only monitors (will not be able to afford a video one) give a good, bright flashing light when they go off? I'm deaf in my left ear and have a tendency to sleep on my "good ear" so am a little worried I may not always hear. My 1st is due in July, so plenty if time to work it all out smile

Ruthchan Sat 03-Mar-12 14:42:50

I can't comment about your hearing issues, but I found a monitor really useful in the first few months.
I slept in the same room as my DCs for the first 4 months, but in that time it was useful to have one if we were in a different room during nap time, early in the evening etc.
After 4 months, I started sleeping in a different room and I found it very reassuring to have the monitor for when they woke up in the night.
I probably used it for about a year with each child. After that I found that they were loud enough to wake me without the help.
It's a very personal thing though and I'm sure everyone is different. It especially depends on where in the house you all sleep and how sound-proof your walls are.

Cheddars Sat 03-Mar-12 14:45:51

I used one for a year with my first dc, then not at all with the second. grin

The one I had had lights on which was handy if I couldn't hear over the tv.

I still use one at 21 months blush.

madeindevon2 Wed 07-Mar-12 21:55:58

I've only just taken mine out of sons room at 4.5!!!! For new baby
Handy also when they playing in bedroom and you downstairs!

smalltown Wed 07-Mar-12 21:58:39

Get one with talk back.
Hide it in their room when they are over 3.
To be able to hear what your 9 year old & his mates are plotting in his bedroom is wonderful.

Even better to surprise them with a reply. I call it the voice of god smile

Genius smalltown!

Back to OP, we still use ours and DD is 2.3.

40notTrendy Wed 07-Mar-12 22:01:59

Smalltown, I'm so regretting giving ours away now!! grin

40notTrendy Wed 07-Mar-12 22:24:31

blush sorry op. Did mean to answer. Ds napped downstairs near me when he first born. From about 4 months he napped in his cot in our bedroom and that's when we started to use the monitor. No point me saying which one as its 6 yrs ago now!

forevergreek Mon 25-Jun-12 13:47:26

Still using at 2.5 years smile actually have two one for each child .. Who sleep in the same room! But we have video so one sound monitor and a camera on each cot so we can see who's still awake etc

MJandherdog Sun 30-Sep-12 19:37:43

I never used one. There was never a doubt in my mind that I would hear her...I'm fairly sure that everyone in the street could hear her!

ChrisLoafer Mon 09-Jun-14 08:45:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now