Sewing machine

(8 Posts)
JamNan Sun 17-Feb-13 10:48:18

Are you pulling the upper and lower threads under the presser foot towards the back, lowering the presser foot and manoeuvring the needle down into the fabric before you start sewing? If not that could be the problem.

MercedesKing Sun 17-Feb-13 09:28:38

I agree that the quality of the thread in the sewing process plays an very important role, qualified thread would not lead to knots or clot, you can pay attention to it. Checking thread and the machine as well would make great sense to make it move smoother! grin

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Feb-13 22:16:13

I would double check the threading of the machine, including checking that the bobbin is inserted correctly.

What are you trying to sew, eg what type of material and what type of stitch? Are you using the right foot and have you put the right settings on the machine (check with the booklet).

It is frustrating when this happens, but usually there is a small error somewhere and once you have found it you are off and unstoppable, so do persevere or ask a RL person to have a look.

bran Sat 16-Feb-13 19:40:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bran Sat 16-Feb-13 19:38:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rockinhippy Sat 16-Feb-13 14:44:56

hmm why is it that whenever I try & post m y. Or W i ll on here with iPad I get that bizarre gobledygook confused

rockinhippy Sat 16-Feb-13 14:43:13

It could be one of a few things...

Are you using the correct needles for fabric - stretch fabrics need ball point needles, sewing without will cause looping, as ŵill using ball point on woven cloth, also using a size of needle that is way off, for example a bigger needle on very fine cloth can cause tension problems.

Is your needle blunt or damaged ? - try changing to a new one

Is it threaded 100% accurately - it's very easy to miss thread it & not realise even when very experienced - maybe go back & start threading it up again from scratch - If I'm understanding you correctly then it is most likely your top tread that's caught up, or not threaded correctly - is it going through the tension wheel properly for example.

HTH

123caughtaflea Sat 16-Feb-13 13:30:30

OK, I got a sewing machine for Christmas, having never used one before and have just tried to set it up.

It all looks fine according to the diagrams, but every time I try and sew, having started with a top and bottom thread threaded up, within a few cms, there are suddenly five or six threads (or more) running down below the fabric, jamming the fabric to the machine and I have to stop, uncut the threads, remove the spool hook and restart, only for the same thing to happen again.

It's a Brother sewing machine and I am using all the stuff - needle, spools etc which came with it.

Help please?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now