Can someone please tell me if a fat quarter would be sufficient for this pattern?

(16 Posts)
HeadFairy Fri 15-Feb-13 12:15:31
flubba Fri 15-Feb-13 13:12:42

A fat quarter is a 1/4 yard cut of fabric that usually measures 18" x 22"

Your pattern asks, for example, for you to cut two x 15"x 12 3⁄4" which you wouldn't be able to do from a fat quarter as far as I can work out.

fossil971 Fri 15-Feb-13 13:15:57

A FQ would do for Fabric B but you would need 2 FQ's for the bigger pieces. Most places you buy from would cut you 1/2 yard off the roll if you bought 2 FQ's of the same fabric.

Nice pattern thanks!

flubba Fri 15-Feb-13 13:23:52

Wow, sorry about the randoms numbers and symbols in there! That was supposed to be 12 and three quarters

I agree, it's a nice pattern! smile

HeadFairy Fri 15-Feb-13 13:32:54

Thanks for that, I'm off to John Lewis' haberdashery dept right now! I'm going to have a go at this. I pinched it from Pinterest grin

flubba Fri 15-Feb-13 14:21:32

You gotta love pinterest (I've been weaning myself off it!) grin

HeadFairy Fri 15-Feb-13 15:00:21

I'm an absolute novice sewer, made a bed tidy for ds's room this week and I'm so chuffed it's inspired me to make a bag for my sister's birthday. I've got some really pretty pale green and bright pink fabrics from John Lewis. I'm going to try and get it done over the weekend.

flubba Fri 15-Feb-13 21:14:24

Come back and show us some pics when you're done smile

HeadFairy Fri 15-Feb-13 23:34:10

I will do. I've started cutting out and assembling. I've never quilted anything before. I might have a practice with a couple of little squares and make dd a quilt for her dolls bed just to practice sewing traight quilting lines!

HeadFairy Mon 18-Feb-13 08:31:41

OK, all done (pic on profile)

Considering I'm a complete novice on the sewing machine, it was about the most complicated thing I've done so far. Those curtains I was planning on making don't look so intimidating now grin

flubba Mon 18-Feb-13 10:07:13

Lovely!! Well done. Now go attack those curtains! smile

HeadFairy Mon 18-Feb-13 12:44:38

Ha! I will do. I was thinking they might be difficult, but after all that quilting etc I reckon I can sew in a fairly straight line! It's just the bulk of material that's quite tricky to deal with.

jaynebxl Mon 18-Feb-13 20:14:06

Head fairy I'd love to see the bed tidy. I'd like to make one for DD.

Shameless marking of place because that pattern looks fun, and I am always up for a new bag pattern.

HeadFairy Mon 18-Feb-13 22:45:30

jayne I've added a photo to my profile. It's a bit crumpled because tat was before I'd ironed it. On the back of he tidy (behind the pockets so the stitching's hidden) I've attached strips of Velcro. I've done the other half if the Velcro strips on the top of the tidy so that when you fasten it to the bed you can't see any if the Velcro. Does that make sense?

jaynebxl Tue 19-Feb-13 04:23:41

Yes makes sense. It is great, I like that idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now