I need help to make a beanie (for an adult)

(10 Posts)

Hurrah!

TheFarSide Fri 15-Feb-13 23:55:06

Just reporting in that my first beanie is generally a success if a little on the baggy side.

Clearly things like wool thickness and hook size are more important than I thought.

Thanks everyone! smile

Yes, FPDC is really straightforward and looks quite impressive. It's only a case of going round the upright of the stitch below rather than into the top of it.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 14-Feb-13 06:51:26

Honestly,it's not as hard as it soundsgrin

Have a look at the link on the page for the instructions to fptc and give it a go. It really is a lovely shaped hat and very easy once you get into a rhythm. You just go around the post rather than through the top with your hook. And not much concentration needed because its just a repeating pattern of 2 stitches.

TheFarSide Wed 13-Feb-13 20:46:07

Front post triple crochet? shock

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 13-Feb-13 19:13:53

I've mad ethics hat for my dses, comes out lovely. I made theirs with Pom poms on top in Dk wool on a 4mm hook. I think the pattern recommends thicker wool.

I'm very much a beginnerwink

voila

TheFarSide Wed 13-Feb-13 18:25:54

Fantastic, thanks to both of you smile

That beanie's lovely Woolly although I might have to lose the trim as I'm making a red and white stripey Man U hat for a male friend.

I spent ages on Ravelry yesterday looking for very simple beanie patterns but I have to rule out anything American or anything with stitches I don't understand (ie most of them) ... although I've just figured out that a half double crochet is the same as a half treble.

If the wool still had the label on it, it will say which hook is appropriate (in MM I think it's the same as the size given for knitting). Using a fatter hook with chunkier wool will result in a bigger hat so watch the sizing - I think Worsted weight is more like Aran, so not as chunky as chunky smile

Chunky needs a bigger hook than worsted.

The thicker the wool - the thicker the hook (usually - sometimes patterns mix it up a bit to mess with your mind)!

I would maybe use a bit thicker hook. Perhaps a 5.5mm or 6.0mm

I made this beanie for my DD recently. It was really quick to do.

TheFarSide Tue 12-Feb-13 22:18:29

I kind of understand the basics eg creating the starting ring and how to do the stitches, the principles of increasing, etc, but now need someone to tell me which hook size will work with chunky wool. I just started one using a 5.0mm hook but the edge was wavy rather than bowl shaped - does this mean my wool is too thick? The pattern says worsted wool, but if I use the chunky will I need a bigger or smaller hook?

In case it's not obvious, I'm a beginner.

<stupid>

confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now