Knitting in the round

(22 Posts)

I was going to knit into the back of the stitch on the next row, however having looks at some of the "projects" on Ravelry it appears I did it right last night ! should have just carried on.

tribpot Fri 08-Feb-13 14:47:54

A yarn over increase is normally chosen to create a lacy effect - did you mean you would do the increase as knit front and back, or that you would knit through the back of the loop when you reach the yarn over again in the next row?

I will post a picture of DD wearing in probably by next summer lol.
I frogged it last night as the YO was making holes and it looked scruffy. I don't think the YO in this pattern is for lacey effect just simply to increase the number of stitches so I am going to try again tonight and knit into the back for the stitch so it doesn't make holes.

tribpot Thu 07-Feb-13 22:07:46

Yes, I know grin I looked at the pattern on Rav earlier in the thread.

It's a complex construction for a first go at circular knitting, but keep going - you'll get there.

thanks Tribot you are a star, it is coming together now. Pattern is by Ewelina Murach and you are spot on it is a flower grin

tribpot Thu 07-Feb-13 21:48:41

Oh right, were you doing the Emily Ocker's cast on? You basically create a loop with your fingers and then you use a crochet hook to create a series of stitches around the loop. That's normal when casting on a small diameter piece of circular knitting, like the middle of the flower. It's magic, when you've done a bit more you can pull the middle together to create the centre of the flower.

In that case, just crack on. Keep going round and round in the same direction.

ummm not quite sure ? I had to cast on using a loop and a crochet hook, which luckily the pattern has instructions for, so all the videos on you tube weren't really relevant.

tribpot Thu 07-Feb-13 21:17:51

Yes, that's right. Just keep going. After you cast on, did you join so you were knitting into the first stitch? Or is it still flat at the moment?

OK really struggling with this pattern. So I have cast on and have 4 stitches on three needles so 12 stitches. Pattern in
R1:PURL (=12sts)
R2 yo k1 12 times (=24 sts)

so do I purl the 12 then when I get to the marker start row 2 and just keep going ? I take it I don't turn as in standard knitting ? Does this work out right ?

Thanks

Snakes that should of course read need NO encouragement

Snakes I need encouragement much to DH annoyance lol I think I may have to treat myself, they are not too expensive really and the thought of no sewing is very appealing. I am quite a good knitter after 30+ years but ruin everything when trying to sew together.
Katolla I have cheap bamboo ones from Ebay and quite like them although I have nothing to compare to really. I was taught on metal needles which I have now decided I don't really like anymore grin
Tribpot will check that site out, I can see this being somewhat messing but am keen to give it a go, DD so wants this little top.

tribpot Wed 06-Feb-13 19:30:28

If you have a look at Knit Freedom there is a section on Magic Loop about half way down. I will have a look in a sec to see if i can find my faux-transcript of the knitting class I did when we learnt knitting in the round on double-pointed needles and then by magic loop, it was somewhat messy!

katolla Wed 06-Feb-13 18:28:57

Magic loop seconded or thirded! I have one pair of Knit pro and they are gorgeous, for all other sizes I have cheap bamboo ones off eBay. A tenner for a huge packet of all sizes.

I have the big set of those knit pro needles and cables, plus a few extra sizes I have added, and I have used them a lot. I found I preferred the metal tips for acrylic and the wood tips for posher wools. I do prefer DPNs for small amounts of stitches now that I am more used to them though.

A year ago I would see a pattern knitted in the round and think - never mind, I can't do that. Now I am converted, and the idea of seaming a billion pieces together makes me sad

SnakesheadFritillary Wed 06-Feb-13 17:38:30

Plus I have to say that they are really nice and sharp and hard and smooth and don't splinter. And the cable is very thin and flexible which makes magic loop easier too, if you want to do that. But I mustn't encourage you!

SnakesheadFritillary Wed 06-Feb-13 17:36:38

grin They are! You can make all kinds of justifications about it being an efficient flexible system which will definitely pay for itself in due course. Ahem.

OMG snakes those needles are beautiful (dons debit card)

thanks all, I have ordered some bamboo DP needles and have a looooooong circular needle. Will have a mooch on You Tube tonight at "magic loop" and also have a look at the interchangeable needles.

SnakesheadFritillary Wed 06-Feb-13 16:07:04

You could also buy yourself some interchangeable needles -- that way you buy one set of 4mm needle tips, and three cables in the different lengths you need. The tips screw onto the cables and the stitches slip over the join much more smoothly than on the standard grey metal circular needles with a fixed cable. The Knitpro ones are good, e.g. these needle tips and then cables, though the 40cm cable says you'd need to buy another set of special short tips to be able to use it. I'd be tempted to use dpns instead.

ouryve Wed 06-Feb-13 16:01:11

If you look up magic loop (no magic about it - it's just knitting the stitches half at a time so a smaller number of stitches can be knitted on a longer needle) you should be able to do it all on the longest needles.

nettie Wed 06-Feb-13 15:58:48

Thats right, you will need a longer needle as you increase your stitches but if you start with a long needle you will not be able to join sitches together to make a round. Instead of shortner length needle you could use double pointed needles.

OK so I have never done this before and want to make this for DD
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/seamless-flower-t-shirt

the flower is knitted in the round and there are some good instructions on the pattern to help with this, but do I really need 40,60,80 and 100 cm circular needles ? Not sure of the logistics of this method so I presume if the needle is too long the stitches won't fit round ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now