We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Where do I start? Learning to crochet

(16 Posts)
Reenypip Mon 14-Jan-13 18:37:27

What items do I need to buy to start learning to crochet? What size tools?

I would recommend some DK (double knitting) yarn and a 4mm hook smile.

I started with those plus a copy of Crochet Unravelled. smile

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 14-Jan-13 20:12:26

You tube will be your friend!

I started with Dk yarn but a bigger needle, 6mm I think just so I could see the stitches easier. I tried with a 4mm but I got tied up in knots!

Coffee, cake and lots of patience, you'll be crocheting granny squares in no time,

Seabright Tue 15-Jan-13 08:50:53

Also, I wish I'd known that the first row after the chain is the hardest and that after that it's easy.

I was ready to give up after fighting, frogging, re-doing, fighting, frogging etc that first row. But, it's just that one that's more difficult, becaus you haven't got much to look at and work with.

drinkyourmilk Tue 15-Jan-13 08:52:59

I've just joined my local stitch and bitch club, they showed me how to knit. There were others crocheting, so they would probably do the same for you.

belindarose Tue 15-Jan-13 09:08:46

Craftyminx crochet school - free online tutorials.

I am still crap at crochet but to get the hang of it in principle, totally agree that crochet unravelled, 4mm hook, dk wool/yarn plus youtube is great. Just beware that USA call the same stitches by diffrent names than in the UK as that can be confusing.

And join Ravelry if you haven't already. You think Mumsnet wastes all your time? Don't know you're born grin

Reenypip Tue 15-Jan-13 18:48:29

Is knitting or crochet easier?
My aim would be to be able to make a blanket, hats and baby items.

I find crochet easier, there are only a few basic stitches and slight variations on them, you can pick it up and put it down easily too, whereas knitting you really need to finish a row before stopping. Crochet is better for some items (anything round) but knitting is probably more varied / versatile. I only crochet.

I couldn't get on with Youtube at all, I'm one of those people that can't learn easily from video clips but prefer diagrams and words. I taught myself from Learn2Knit

With crochet you only have one tool and the yarn to contend with. I find this makes it nice and portable. I also like the way you can just stop anytime, put in a single stitch marker and put the work down.

PurpleCrazyHorse Sun 20-Jan-13 16:12:49

I started crocheting last year but stopped for ages as busy so am back to being a beginner again. I'm hoping to find a good video for getting to the end of the row and turning. I seem to be either missing the last stitch or possibly going too far.

alemci Sun 20-Jan-13 16:25:40

I learnt last year. I am a knitter but now I love crochet. Bought a quick and easy crochet book which wasn't really that, then got a book from the library with step to step instructions.

also asked a colleague for help.

I found the patterns very difficult to follow at first but managed to make a cushion, a bag etc. especially when the 3 chains meant the first treble and counting the chains.

Just practise making granny squares first on odd bits of wool.

PurpleCrazyHorse Sun 20-Jan-13 21:48:28

oh gosh... I've just lost a whole evening on Ravelry grin so many patterns, so little ability!

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 21-Jan-13 11:30:15

I would say they are different. I started as a knitter and am a recent convert to crochet, however, my job involves a lot of handling 'thread' with instruments so I find these very easy to pick up.
I have my big knitting projects which often tend to have very long rows so I do these on my nights I am not working. Crochet I find much easier to pick up and put down so I do this when I am on call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now