We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

i need a sewing machine for free embroidery

(4 Posts)
bettykelly123 Sat 29-Dec-12 21:20:48

im starting a free machine embroidery in march and thought i could use my current sewing machine if i purchased a special foot. however having taken it to a sewing machine shop today ive been told its such a basic machine it doesnt have something needed to do the embroidery. so now i need a new machine.
but i dont know how id know if a machine could do free style embroidery ie if i wanted to buy second hand or on the internet etc. can anyone help.

RavenRose Sun 30-Dec-12 09:46:45

Hi, you need to be able to lower the feed dogs or cover them. My machine has a switch at the back which drops them. You also need a embroidery foot or a darning foot - they look like little embroidery hoops with springs attached. Dropping the feed dogs is the main thing though - I've never been convinced about covering them up as it hasn't worked well in my experiencce. My machine is a brother innovis 10 but I would think most non entry level machines would do it as I think it's used a lot in quilting as well. Dropping the feed dogs stops the fabric feeding though so you move it around and control where it goes. Hope this helps!

bettykelly123 Thu 03-Jan-13 19:18:42

thanks so much

lauraellajane Fri 04-Jan-13 21:23:10

I was looking for the same a few months ago and pretty pleased with my decision - Janome DC2200xt. It can drop the feed dogs and takes category A Janome feet which includes darning, even feed, zipper, quarter inch etc. Not too pricey either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now