We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

So I had a really silly idea to learn how to crochet...

(62 Posts)
AnyaKnowIt Mon 26-Nov-12 18:25:16

Now I've been sitting here for an hour and I still can't do the first knot

sad

AnyaKnowIt Fri 30-Nov-12 09:01:48

aww bless. dd is 20 months so by the time she is 8 I might be able to do it grin

Can I join in? I started about 4 weeks ago with an enormous, plastic hook from dd's Learn to crochet set. The instructions were awful so I've looked at some YouTube videos. I have my own set of hooks now but I have gone from the tension being too tight to bring too loose.

One video I've found helpful is Girlybunches but I'm going to look at some others that posters have recommended.

I am actually loving doing it though. smile

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 30-Nov-12 07:18:04

Poor carsad

Wait till your dd gets a bit older Anya she will be wowed by your efforts. My boys are 10 and 8 and everything I produce is a masterpiece to them. My first wonky square was met with lots of cheers and 'you are so clever mummy'. I want them to stay this age forevergrin

I have found it easier working in circles tbh. Granny squares are pretty easy, just have to remember to count....I seem to have problems when I get past 10blush

sashh Fri 30-Nov-12 07:05:23

Put the hook in your left hand and watch you tube through a mirror.

I taught myself to crochet left handed in order to teach my left handed cousin. Both her mum and mine had tried unsuccessfully.

shellybop Thu 29-Nov-12 23:24:47

I decided to teach myself a year ago and just followed some YouTube videos. Tried a few till I found ones I liked and still look at them when I forget how to do things. I like the art of crochet by Theresa and the knit witch.

Keep going- if I can do it ANYONE can! I've made lots of things now and my proudest was when I carried home my newborn son from the hospital wrapped in the cosy blanket I had made him.....

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 20:25:50

Frogging is fun sad

AnyaKnowIt Thu 29-Nov-12 19:22:15

The car is no more sad

DD got hold of it while I was making her dinner, pulled it all apart sad

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 13:57:47

You made a car grin

AnyaKnowIt Thu 29-Nov-12 13:35:46

grin I've had to stop now. the child keeps pulling the wool round her neck blush

JollyJock Thu 29-Nov-12 13:26:15

Sorry. The stitches look pretty neat actually, it's just the number in each row that is the issue!

MissWooWoo Thu 29-Nov-12 13:17:01

that is exactly what mine ended up like Anya - I was trying to do a square btw!

AnyaKnowIt Thu 29-Nov-12 13:12:21

shock you are suppose to say its the best you have ever seen sad grin

JollyJock Thu 29-Nov-12 13:05:17

Everyone starts off like that. It takes quite a while to be able to see where all the stitches are so you can do the next row of stitches in the right place.

AnyaKnowIt Thu 29-Nov-12 12:49:22

grin Thank you, its still a bit wonkey

JollyJock Thu 29-Nov-12 12:46:03

That doesn't even vaguely resemble a worm! Looking good smile

AnyaKnowIt Thu 29-Nov-12 12:25:42

I used to live in Northants. A little town outside Wellingborough.

Thank you for all the offers of help in RL, but I doubt I'll be able to take anyone up. I'm a SAHM with no other childcare and DP gets home from work, well whenever he gets home from work. He travels all over the country and if there is a holdup on the motorway then he is screwed iyswim. thanks

DD has been under the weather this morning so has been cuddled up on me watching cbbies and I've managed to do some more. Pic on profile grin

Northants/Leicestershire any good for you Anya? I can do cake crochet any weekday but Friday grin

JollyJock Wed 28-Nov-12 21:25:27

You'll get better very quickly, honest!

JollyJock Wed 28-Nov-12 21:21:35

I used this book a lot when i was first starting out. It has everything both right and left handed.

I started in the summer and have so far made a lot of squint squares, some granny squares, some cubes, a mouse and a blanket. I recently started blanket no2 and I've just ordered 16 balls of wool.

AnyaKnowIt Wed 28-Nov-12 20:35:24

No Purple sad

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 20:14:31

Location on profile, any good Anya?

AnyaKnowIt Wed 28-Nov-12 19:38:04

TheRealMBJ Aww thanks for the offer but I'm no where near you sad

I find it easier to do it with my right hand, I just end up doing it backwards blush

Will have a look at crochetgeek videos now, I just spoke to my sister who has started learning as well, so naturally I have to be better then her grin

TheRealMBJ Wed 28-Nov-12 18:49:13

Anya whereabouts are you?

I'm left handed and pretty competent and would be more than happy to show you how, if you are anywhere near
York/Scarborough/Middlesborough.

Furthermore , I think it is much, much, much simpler to start off learning to crochet in the round than to crochet in rows. Look for crochetgeek's granny square tutorials on YouTube.

AnyaKnowIt Wed 28-Nov-12 13:29:19

I did drag dp and dd out this morining to get thicker wool and hook.

I'm now on a roll so dp's willy warmer might be ready for christmas grin

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 28-Nov-12 13:21:09

I did that Anya.

I found it easier to start with a bigger crochet hook and chunky wool! It meant I could see where the stitches began and ended and it was obvious where the hook was meant to go iyswim. Plus it stopped me making the chain so tight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now