We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

So I had a really silly idea to learn how to crochet...

(62 Posts)
AnyaKnowIt Mon 26-Nov-12 18:25:16

Now I've been sitting here for an hour and I still can't do the first knot

sad

AnyaKnowIt Tue 27-Nov-12 22:22:07

I've got a little white one and a little pink one grin

DP wasn't impressed sad

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Tue 27-Nov-12 22:44:51

Keep at it, he'll be impressed with his first willy warmer wink

ooo 24 squares is a toddler size blanket, that is good to know, I have been doing 3 a day. I do square from the middle out, is that wrong? so start with 4 and then do groups of three in rounds. (get me with the technical talk. I have given up on the flower garden squares think I was getting abit ahead of myself. I told dh I have made him a pair of something for his birthday and he wants to know is it is ball hats.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 08:18:16

6 rows of 4 squares = 2' x 3' smile

There's loads of different ways, Dita, you're doing grannies of some variety. As long as they turn out squarish, you're doing it right!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 28-Nov-12 08:42:17

I've been learning from you tube videos, I got the childrens book mentioned above book but it confused meblush

The you tube videos and me pausing, rewinding and watching over and over have been most successful. I'm now making a scarf with shell and v stitches which is so easy it's unbelievable but it grows quickly and looks nice as long as you don't look too closely It may not be perfect but I'm not a perfectionist and I'm just enjoying making something that I will be able to wear.

HousewifefromBethlehem Wed 28-Nov-12 08:55:37

I loooove that birdie dita

I am just starting to knit, so am currently knitting a scarf, (its a bit holey) then try my hand at crochet. Apparently you are better/enjoy one more than the other?

I cant knit to save my life, the birds actually look good when I have done which is unbelievable really.
I am loving the you tube tutorials as they dont shout at you when you get it wrong.
what colour is the scarf do you?
I realised I was trying to do the flower squares with 2 different weight wools, one is 4 ply and one is dk might be why it wasnt working so well.

MoaningMingeWhimpersAgain Wed 28-Nov-12 10:11:43

There is a really good booklet, english terms, covers lefties, called crochet unravelled.It's about £6.

It is the only thing I read that made sense. I'm still rubbish as tendion is all over the place but it really helped.

MissWooWoo Wed 28-Nov-12 11:29:46

thanks seabright and purpleessiah I'll have another go later. er, think I am using a mixture of both uk and us as I have been looking at youtube videos from both sides of the water - obv this has not helped matters - doh!

I'll keep at it - am desperate to complete a granny square sometime soon ... looks like there are quite a few designs, can anyone recommend a really easy one to start me off please?

AnyaKnowIt Wed 28-Nov-12 13:10:01

Now I'm just making twisted worms sad

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 28-Nov-12 13:17:49

The scarf is in fuschia Dita, a lovely snuggly merino wool. My crochet doesn't really do the wool justiceconfused but I'll get there and it looks pretty good.

My dses think its great, that'll do for megrin

MissWooWoo I just googled granny squares beginners patterns and plumped for one that I could understand the pattern. I've done a couple now of different patterns, the language all seems to be making a bit more sense nowconfused

OnTheBottomWithAStringOfTinsel Wed 28-Nov-12 13:20:07

MissWooWoo try Craftgawker or Pinterest for links to different patterns for squares. IME granny squares are all the same - all you do is increase or decrease the number of rounds, and perhaps change colour between rows.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 28-Nov-12 13:21:09

I did that Anya.

I found it easier to start with a bigger crochet hook and chunky wool! It meant I could see where the stitches began and ended and it was obvious where the hook was meant to go iyswim. Plus it stopped me making the chain so tight.

AnyaKnowIt Wed 28-Nov-12 13:29:19

I did drag dp and dd out this morining to get thicker wool and hook.

I'm now on a roll so dp's willy warmer might be ready for christmas grin

TheRealMBJ Wed 28-Nov-12 18:49:13

Anya whereabouts are you?

I'm left handed and pretty competent and would be more than happy to show you how, if you are anywhere near
York/Scarborough/Middlesborough.

Furthermore , I think it is much, much, much simpler to start off learning to crochet in the round than to crochet in rows. Look for crochetgeek's granny square tutorials on YouTube.

AnyaKnowIt Wed 28-Nov-12 19:38:04

TheRealMBJ Aww thanks for the offer but I'm no where near you sad

I find it easier to do it with my right hand, I just end up doing it backwards blush

Will have a look at crochetgeek videos now, I just spoke to my sister who has started learning as well, so naturally I have to be better then her grin

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 20:14:31

Location on profile, any good Anya?

AnyaKnowIt Wed 28-Nov-12 20:35:24

No Purple sad

JollyJock Wed 28-Nov-12 21:21:35

I used this book a lot when i was first starting out. It has everything both right and left handed.

I started in the summer and have so far made a lot of squint squares, some granny squares, some cubes, a mouse and a blanket. I recently started blanket no2 and I've just ordered 16 balls of wool.

JollyJock Wed 28-Nov-12 21:25:27

You'll get better very quickly, honest!

Northants/Leicestershire any good for you Anya? I can do cake crochet any weekday but Friday grin

AnyaKnowIt Thu 29-Nov-12 12:25:42

I used to live in Northants. A little town outside Wellingborough.

Thank you for all the offers of help in RL, but I doubt I'll be able to take anyone up. I'm a SAHM with no other childcare and DP gets home from work, well whenever he gets home from work. He travels all over the country and if there is a holdup on the motorway then he is screwed iyswim. thanks

DD has been under the weather this morning so has been cuddled up on me watching cbbies and I've managed to do some more. Pic on profile grin

JollyJock Thu 29-Nov-12 12:46:03

That doesn't even vaguely resemble a worm! Looking good smile

AnyaKnowIt Thu 29-Nov-12 12:49:22

grin Thank you, its still a bit wonkey

JollyJock Thu 29-Nov-12 13:05:17

Everyone starts off like that. It takes quite a while to be able to see where all the stitches are so you can do the next row of stitches in the right place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now