Soooo, should I try and knit some socks? i feel intimidated...

(122 Posts)
jobnockey Sun 18-Nov-12 22:11:01

... but i feel i should try. How hard is it? I have only just got my head around using a circular needle and have always been a bit scared of usings DPNs...

Shall i give it a go or will it drive me round the bend? (I am a novice/intermediate knitter... trying to be more adventurous than hats and jumpers...)
Tips and encouragement/discouragment welcomed!

sunnysunnyshine Wed 21-Nov-12 21:33:23

Oooh just found this thread! Can I join in? I started knitting a sock a couple of days ago.

Was really scared of dpns but its going ok(ish) so far smile

jobnockey Wed 21-Nov-12 22:02:48

sunnysunny that's good to hear... I have just ordered some opal sock yarn plus a set of DPNs, hope to be starting soon!

FlamingoBingo Thu 22-Nov-12 08:06:43

Yay! A sock club on MN! My dream come true! [Grin]

I have just bought the wool for my third pair of socks from one pattern (not my third pair in total). Will put photos of completed socks on my profile at some point if we're clubbing here now!

MrsZoidberg Thu 22-Nov-12 10:08:50

Oooooh Sock People grin I'm really fussy about socks, I'd never thought of knitting my own.

DPNs scare me too, I've seen round knitting looms like This - can you knit socks on the little one?

Do you need special wool / cotton?

Daisybell1 Thu 22-Nov-12 10:52:34

Ooh a sock club! I have a book but it's failed to inspire me so I need a kick up the backside!

evenkeel Thu 22-Nov-12 11:13:50

Joining in here to say that they really are easy once you've got over The Fear. I used to use dpns but was encouraged by the man at Loop (amazing yarn shop in Islington) to try the Magic Loop method (ie one long needle) and it's brilliant.

Socks make an excellent, soothing project for winter evenings, are quick to do as long as you crack on and avoid Second Sock Syndrome grin - and if you do get stumped, there are loads of videos online to help. Agree with the post up thread about the free Regia pattern; it's the only one I ever use! You can pick them up in John Lewis afaik.

Good luck!

jobnockey Thu 22-Nov-12 11:20:32

I love the fact the this is the first thread i have ever started on MN which has stretched to beyond 3 or 4 posts and its about knitting socks!

evenkeel Thu 22-Nov-12 11:31:05

Oh and PS, I've recommended this site before on MN but it's worth another mention - verypink.com

It's American but she knits in the 'English' style and the videos are fantastically clear and helpful. There's one specifically for beginner sock-knitting.

FlamingoBingo Thu 22-Nov-12 12:29:31

I am still on the cuff of my MIL's socks. It is a p1k1tbl rib and it takes SOOOOOO long! I will never do this sort of rib again! One more row to go and then I'm on the pattern - woohoo!

It is this pattern and I'm on the second sock so this really is the last row of this annoying rib!

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Thu 22-Nov-12 12:33:48

I did a pair in the summer, really enjoyed it, except I never got round to learning Kitchener stitch to close the toe so they're not quite finished.

I am by no means an experienced knitter and the heel took quite a bit of concentration but it was really fun. They're also a bit thick because I used handspun wool that was a bit too bulky so I'm waiting for it to snow so I can wear them inside my wellies.

Daisybell1 Thu 22-Nov-12 17:52:44

Can anyone recommend some good yarn for socks? Maybe something DK and self patterning to make bed socks.... I'm addicted to sirdar crofter and similar...

FlamingoBingo Thu 22-Nov-12 20:47:23

I've got some sirdar crofter to make socks with for my dad. I looked it up on ravelry and there are socks made with it. If it's just for bedsocks, the only criteria is that it's warm and soft, and that you have the right pattern and needles for that weight of yarn.

I made an amazing pair of socks for my DH out of Jarol 100% wool aran - undyed. It's gorgeous! So soft and warm. The pattern's in a book: Knit the Perfect Pair. I'll see if I can upload a pic to my profile of them.

MagiMingeWassailsAgain Thu 22-Nov-12 20:52:18

Oh I have that book coming flamingo - from theworks.co.uk at about 3.99 IIRC, it should come this week.

I have got a few balls of Regia sock yarn - it's self striping/patterning and 75%wool, 25%nylon, hardwearing but soft. Good for socks. Knits as usual 4ply. like this

MagiMingeWassailsAgain Thu 22-Nov-12 20:53:25

Shall we find a free pattern online and do an actual Mumsnet Socks KAL (knit along) do you think? Any takers?

Daisybell1 Thu 22-Nov-12 21:57:28

Ooh, that could be a plan. If only to make us all finish the second one!

FlamingoBingo Thu 22-Nov-12 23:10:01

I'd love to do a KAL, but can't take part in anything before Christmas as have so much to get finished for presents!

Viviennemary Fri 23-Nov-12 00:00:12

I think Opal sock yarn is really good and you get a free pattern depends on where you buy from. Ebay usually has some or did a year or two ago. That is self patterning and available in lots and lots of colours.

FlamingoBingo Fri 23-Nov-12 06:42:09

daisy wanks DK, though. Do Opal and Regia do a DK weight?

KnottyLocks Fri 23-Nov-12 06:59:27

Oh I looooove knitted socks smile

Never made them though. I'm bookmarking all these ideas for later.

Daisybell1 Fri 23-Nov-12 07:52:40

<snorts tea through nose at Flamingo>

I may love yarn, but maybe not quite that much grin

Never made socks knotty? I am shock. If anyone would like a pattern I think I have some for small 'tester' socks I could share.

TwoJackRussellsandababy Fri 23-Nov-12 08:05:15

I'm up for a KAL, have so many WIP's that another won't hurt!!!

MrsHoarder Fri 23-Nov-12 08:09:57

I'm working up to real socks: half way through a Christmas stocking. So when I start on my gorgeous sock yarn it won't be that difficult? And where can I find a simple sock pattern they can be resized? I have big feet...

FlamingoBingo Fri 23-Nov-12 10:22:45

I don't understand, Daisy <innocent> confused

MIL's sock is knitting up really fast now I've got that ribbed cuff out of the way. Half-way through the calf already smile

Daisybell1 Fri 23-Nov-12 15:25:56

"Daisy wants DK" came up with a k instead of the t in your post Flamingo

<childish sense of humour>

Sorry, I'll be sensible now, I appreciate you steering people back onto DK. Is there anything like crofter which is more sturdy? Some of the posts I've read say that it wears through the heels/toes easily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now