Photography-how to choose

(9 Posts)
harbingerofdoom Mon 12-Nov-12 19:31:46

between a Nikon D3100 and the Canon 1100D. This would be for a 21st birthday present.

Hope I've posted in the right section!

Funnylittleturkishdelight Mon 12-Nov-12 22:03:05

I would go for a Nikon...because I have a Nikon and love it!

I'm afraid the best thing is to get the birthday boy/girl to try them first and pick the one they find the most intuitive and easy to use.

harbingerofdoom Mon 12-Nov-12 22:37:20

Thanks Funnyltd So one vote for the Nikon...that camera?

Oh,she's been lurking around Jessops etc

I have Canon

DH is sitting on the fence.......

ATM she is going for the Nikon D3100

Seabright Tue 13-Nov-12 07:10:06

Another vote for Nikon. I also have one (although not this model) and love it. Would never go back to another make.

Funnylittleturkishdelight Wed 14-Nov-12 06:43:27

Not the same model, but I have used yours and it is a very good camera for a beginner!

fossil97 Thu 15-Nov-12 00:01:02

I have a D3000 and I'm really happy with it. It was my 40th present! We did go for Nikon because DH has one and we can share our lenses, so I didn't look at any other makes. But he spent a long time choosing his.

I do agree about going and handling the actual camera, it's such a personal thing.

I believe the D3100 has a live screen viewfinder (like a compact), the lack of that is a bit of a niggle with the D3000.

helpful review

harbingerofdoom Fri 16-Nov-12 15:01:41

Thanks for that review fossil97. Food for thought there :s

I think the Nikon is edging it though.

harbingerofdoom Wed 21-Nov-12 21:46:23

21st birthday present is the Nikon D3100 plus a few add ons.

I just hope she likes it as much as I did my Canon AE1 Program at when I was 21!

Next year she has to spend a year abroad.

Good choice - I've just bought that Nikon model too after much deliberation. I don't know much about photography yet but I think it is brilliant and extremely well priced for what it is. TBH it was the price that made my mind up but it gets good reviews so I probably would have gone for it anyway. Thankfully the auto mode is really good whilst I learn to use more of the manual settings better!

Problem is, getting it has opened up a whole new world of other stuff to be spending money on. It could get expensive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now