Help with Activities for Toddler who must stay off their feet....

(8 Posts)
jabs284a Mon 12-Nov-12 15:14:01

Hi I have a 3 year old son who has a bleeding disorder and at times must be kept off of his feet. He's not allowed to put any weight on his leg and I'm running short of things to keep him occupied. We have to carry him everywhere, he's not allowed to stand, walk, run or jump, so looking any ideas that keep him sat down and will not excite him too much. We've done the usual, TV, Cooking (while sitting down) painting, cutting, sticking so any extras will be greatfully received. Also stuff that doesnt take too long to set up and make loads of mess as well, otherwise he gets restless and when he's off his feet I have very little time to clear up really messy crafts.

Many thanks

Seeline Mon 12-Nov-12 15:19:50

Jigsaws
Lego/duplo and other construction toys such as K'nex etc
Simple board games - Orchard Games or ELC type things

NatashaBee Mon 12-Nov-12 15:26:22

bit overkill for a 3 year old maybe, but he'd probably love to play on an ipad/ipod/iphone (maybe as a last resort when he's bored with everything else and you need your hands free). There are lots of educational apps and videos on youtube he could watch.

Seeline Mon 12-Nov-12 15:33:56

Play doh/plasticine

a bit bizaare, but can he lie on his back? You could blow up balloons or touchable bubbles and he can kick them between his hands and feet or you can knock them back to him.

Allalonenow Mon 12-Nov-12 15:46:33

Large beads to thread and count.
Learn to sew with large darning needle and brightly coloured wool on card with holes punched in.
Learn to tie shoe laces with a pre made cardboard "shoe".

Allalonenow Mon 12-Nov-12 15:47:56

Make a puppet out of a sock.

Fuzzyfelts, sticklebricks. Magnetic letters/numbers but use a baking tray (the cheap ones are lightweight) or large cake tin lid as a board.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now