Bad news after combined test

(54 Posts)
lozster Mon 28-Jan-13 13:57:27

Given a 1:4. Am 40 and pregnant after ivf - this has driven the score plus a really high hcg 5 times normal. Am 13 + 5 and have been offered 3 things 1) detailed scan to look for soft markers 2) cvs - I guess pretty much immediately 3) amnio after 15 weeks.

I was resigned to this (and what may follow) but it still hurts. This is my last chance after 13 rounds of fertility treatment.

I know it's not quite game over but I daren't get my hopes up. Sorry, there is a question lurking in the gloom - any advice on cvs over amnio? The soft markers enhanced scan won't be enough for me though im glad my health authority do offer it. I know about the national stats on miscarriage and asked the nurse about the hospital specific stats too which she claimed were 'in line'. I'm tempted to do cvs to get the result sooner but I'm not sure if it is via the cervix? During my ivf the staff had major problems getting a catheter in due to a twist on my cervix. Would a cvs be a similar process?

Also, how long did you need (or want) to be off work following cvs or amnio?

Thanks

Positive38 Tue 12-Feb-13 11:33:56

hi.lozster glad i found this thread before i explain i just want to send u hugs and wishes for food results assume u will findot by end of week.

like u we have had ivf but before that 2 yrs of ovarian drilling.chlomid and fell on first ivf cycle...scan at 12 wk was.perfecr and was done by sonographer from kingscollege.
we came home and told everyone.as didnt think we woluld be high risk.
well last monday i was 12+5 days we got dreaded call. like u my bloods have thrown it all.
hcg 3
nt 1.9 low
papa 0.43
am nearly 39 and have had ivf .

we decided against cvs i was so scared of the 1% miscarriage so we had harmony test at FMC last tue.its a week today and the wait is killing me......lnite i hardly slept.

nhs risk was.1;34 so still only low chance.but keep thinking its gonna be me.

scared.....we have come so far and having a downs baby isnt an option....sorry if i offend.anyone there..

be thinking of u hun xxx

lozster Tue 12-Feb-13 12:19:45

Hi positive - hope you are staying like your name ! My stats are:
Hcg - 5.05 MoM (multiple of mean)
Papp a - 1.03 MoM
NT - 3mm

Hcg is sky high and driving 1:4 risk. Papp a is ok. NT was described as normal at 13 weeks. My googling suggests 3 is high though. lScanned again and described as normal yesterday.

Positive38 Tue 12-Feb-13 13:15:51

staying.positive is very hard.but im trying. have u heard that ivf can increase hcg.dint forget we have had so many drugs and trigger shot for egg maturity ..i am pinning my hopes on it being reason....

when do u get results? xx

lozster Tue 12-Feb-13 15:11:03

I have pounded the Internet Positive looking for information that suits me. I have read some US sites that say that they adjust down for ivf drugs. However, the midwife told me that the ratio has been adjusted up because of the ivf as apparently it makes downs more likely ?! If this is true I hadn't heard it before.... I was in too much of a state to follow this up... Perhaps the logic is that chromosomally abnormal embryos develop in vitro then embed more than they would naturally as they are helped??

My research also found one speculative paper associating high hcg with vegetarianism. I've been veggie 20 years.

Really clutching at straws here too but my weight has gone up too as I stopped exercising when I starting stimming late October. Plus they always weigh you in full winter clobber, boots, coat the lot.

I must stop this obsessing!

Positive38 Tue 12-Feb-13 15:54:10

i had.two blastocysts.out back in and ARC said maybe they both took but one didnt florish.i said wouldnt i have seen that at our 7 week scan she said not necesarily. which would cause high hcg.
also some women just have high hcg.

i am really trying to avoid google for this afternoon anyway...making me ill with worry.

dont know how but ive got through a week only one more hopefully less.....

xxx

lozster Tue 12-Feb-13 17:08:12

He-he, I think you and I are a bad influence on each other Positive! We both need to step away from dr google!! It has made me smile to know there is someone like me out there!

Yes, I have read about the twins theory too. I had one blastocyst and one morula put back. Like you I thought it was unlikely this would have an impact as I was scanned at 8.5 weeks then 13.5 and no sign! Plus I have been spared any bleeds too so nothing to suggest a double implant.

Results for me should be back Friday or Monday which is a bit disappointing as I was hoping for Thursday.

Positive38 Tue 12-Feb-13 18:22:00

well same as me im expecting them fri at earliest tue.latest......
i have heard he body can absorb it hence.no bleed.
everyone is telling me not to worry jeez.wish it was that easy.
i am a spiritualist.so heading.to church tonight hope it sorts me out.
nice to know we can lean on each other hun xx

Tranquilitybaby Tue 12-Feb-13 23:55:54

Really hope your results are positive. Hang in there. X

jellybeans Wed 13-Feb-13 00:11:01

Just wanted to say good luck have been through bad test results twice and bad news at a scan, was some of worst most stressful times of my life the waiting for the amnio. Hope it is good news for you. ARC charity is excellent.

Positive38 Wed 13-Feb-13 06:51:29

thank u ladies.....i have managed to get through a week and a day....its been the hardest and longest wait.not knowing.....

jellybean i am so sorry u have had such an awful time of things.sending all my love

xx

Positive38 Wed 13-Feb-13 06:56:46

pingu have u had results of scan and amnio...thinking of u x

lozster Wed 13-Feb-13 17:13:15

Results in very early for me - clear for three chromosome disorders. And I'm having a boy.

Feel quite stunned. Have mad thoughts that I just dreamt the call. Think I've gone a bit loopy. Waiting for it to sink in but am happy and grateful and just starting to look forwards.

Here's hoping for everyone else waiting. Thanks so much for the messages of encouragement. It made a difference to me thanks

massagegirl Wed 13-Feb-13 18:19:32

So pleased for you lozster! It's really wierd after the good news phone call isn't it?! I so had myself prepared for bad news that I didn't quite believe them. Hope you have a lovely and relaxing evening.

RufousBartleby Wed 13-Feb-13 18:26:48

Have been following your thread Lozster so lovely to hear some good news smile

WipsGlitter Wed 13-Feb-13 19:31:30

Fantastic news.

redbobblehat Wed 13-Feb-13 19:36:09

great news, enjoy it op

Positive38 Wed 13-Feb-13 19:37:21

oh wow amazing news am so very happy for u.....i bet it hasnt sunk in.brill im over the moon for u....enjoy your evening.teamblue xx hope your good luck flows my way im still waiting for harmony results...

Pingu82 Wed 13-Feb-13 21:00:37

Brilliant news lozsters! I'm so pleased for you!

I'm still waiting for the relief to hit nearly a week later, think it takes a bit of time to mentally adjust from preparing for the worst to getting good results.

Positive - keeping everything crossed for good news for you too. Hoping the wait's not too much longer. X

FriskyBivalves Thu 14-Feb-13 07:07:00

De lurking to say... Congratulations! It must be an amazing feeling of relief. I hope you have a wonderfully stress free pregnancy from now on. Apart from worrying over names, of course...

EwokStorageUnit Thu 14-Feb-13 08:02:01

So pleased for you, hope the rest of the pregnancy is plain sailing. Xxxx.

Positive38 Thu 14-Feb-13 09:47:00

pingu i wasnt aware u too had good results thats great news too.

i am praying so much......hope to get.a call tmrw or monday......xx

jellybeans Thu 14-Feb-13 12:56:58

Great news, so pleased for you. Good luck to everyone else still waiting.

lozster Thu 14-Feb-13 15:35:09

Frisky - name sorted (in my mind!!). V. Short first name plus my surname as a middle name cos despite a 15 year relationship I am not married.

Positive - here's hoping your call arrives soon. I will check back.

drjohnsonscat Thu 14-Feb-13 15:56:38

lozster that's wonderful news. I've been where you were and it's not easy. I had three amnios (one bad news) but I'm so glad I had the opportunity to find out each time so I could decide what to do.

Thrilled for you - after all that fertility treatment. Best wishes for the rest of your pg - you can join the carefree pg set now grin

FriskyBivalves Thu 14-Feb-13 19:09:36

Oh we did my surname as middle name too. Very crafty. Helps no end when you are going through immigration and they start quizzing you about child trafficking. Good that they care, obviously, but the name thing means you can get away without carrying copy of birth cert everywhere you go.

Still trembly? or walking on air?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now