Harmony prenatal test - anyone know about it

(745 Posts)
RTchoke Mon 29-Oct-12 05:41:25

today I am having a new kind of prenatal test called Harmony. It's non-invasive and seems to just be a new kind of blood test plus the regular nuchal scan but it's much more accurate than the traditional nuchal blood test. Apparently it's nearly as accurate as a CVS but without any risk.

I'm the only person I know who is having this test and nobody else seems to have heard of it let alone have been offered it. I just wondered if others have and knowledge of it and how accurate it is.

diege Thu 17-Apr-14 18:49:56

Bugger sad On the upside I had my scan with the prof and he is brilliant, a real professional. You will be in very good hands xxx

JBrd Thu 17-Apr-14 18:14:08

The FMC just called - the test has failed again sad

I'm now provisionally booked in for a CVS with Prof Nicolaides next week.

gunwalloe Thu 17-Apr-14 13:11:12

Ohno Jbrd I had two failures to I personally think the initial 5% failure rate is under estimated just from reading this thread.
Good luck with which ever route you choose

JBrd Thu 17-Apr-14 12:34:31

No results angry

And apparently, the most likely reason for this is that it hasn't worked - again (50% chance of failure).
The FMC will call me this evening to update further...

Think I need to face the fact that the next thing will be CVS/amnio. I had so hoped to not have to do this.

Tranquilitybaby Thu 17-Apr-14 08:06:33

Hope you get them today and it's great news for you xx

KeepingTheFaith9 Thu 17-Apr-14 07:34:13

Just checked in to see if you'd got your results Jbrd. Thinking of you today. Keeping.
thanks

JBrd Wed 16-Apr-14 22:16:36

No, not yet angry
Will call them tomorrow, can't face waiting over the long weekend...

Tranquilitybaby Wed 16-Apr-14 18:33:44

Any news JBrd? Xx

Arianna79 Wed 16-Apr-14 15:30:48

Hello ladies, I also had a NIPT done in Germany which called Prenatest. Results received in 11 working days (that excludes weeknds). My results were good - "For the sample examined, the resultant z-scores are within the normal range. Thus, the test result does not indicate the presence of fetal trisomy 21, 18 or 13". However there is a note that "You should also be aware that certain rare forms of the mentioned trisomies cannot be detected with certainty using this method. This is true for very few cases, in which only parts of the respective chromosome exist in triplicate or if only parts of the child's body show the respective chromosome in triplicate". And that made me crazy, cause my feeling of relief last only 1 day when results received, after that I begun to think how accurate the test is. I am 16 weeks tomorrow and cannot sleep well thinking about the accuracy of the test..

KeepingTheFaith9 Mon 14-Apr-14 18:40:51

Good luck all you ladies awaiting results. Jbrd - sorry this is all still so protracted. Keeping everything crossed for everyone.
Keeping smile

diege Mon 14-Apr-14 18:15:39

I'd say that was quite positive jbrd as wouldn't they know if it had failed again by now? Quietly optimistic for you xx

JBrd Mon 14-Apr-14 17:04:38

Just had a call from them - my test results will be delayed until Wednesday/Thursday angryangryangry - some issue with the lab in the States, nothing they can do about it!

gunwalloe Mon 14-Apr-14 16:39:03

Same here when I phoned them after missing a call they put me through to a doctor.

I really hope its good news for you

ohthegoats Mon 14-Apr-14 15:56:19

No, not over analysing. The receptionist wouldn't tell me anything, I had to hold on to wait for a doctor too.

I've so got my fingers crossed for you..

JBrd Mon 14-Apr-14 14:43:41

Just called the FMC and was told that the doctor who is managing my case is currently unavailable, but will give me a call asap to discuss the results...

Which implies to me that they do have the results, but they are not good, so that the receptionist can't just give out the information over the phone... Am I over-analysing? Very anxious now sad

JBrd Mon 14-Apr-14 08:44:58

Hi diege, no, nothing yet - hoping they will call today or tomorrow!

diege Sun 13-Apr-14 20:25:45

Just checking in to see if you have had any news yet jbrd xx

SwimmingMom Fri 11-Apr-14 18:04:36

JBrd - fingers crossed for you to get a better result & soon!

JBrd Fri 11-Apr-14 08:57:46

J78 Thank you for sharing your positive story! I'm so hoping that it will be a similar outcome for me... TBH, at this stage, I'd be happy with much less than 1:10000, I think anything over 1:200ish would be fine... Better than 1:17 (NHS) or 1:6 (FMC) anyway!

I'm wondering if they might call me today... Happened last time, the results came in after 10 days (well, the result that the test hadn't worked anyway). It would be such a relief - we are going away to a friend's wedding this weekend, and I'd be able to enjoy it so much better if this wasn't hanging over me. Plus, we are stopping at the PIL on the way, who know that I am pg and that not all is good, but don't have any details. MIL has very strong views on termination, and I really don't want to have to discuss this with her...confused

MrsJ78 Wed 09-Apr-14 20:14:47

Thought it might be useful to drop back in after posting here last summer. I was given 1:120 for Downs Syndrome based on NHS combined screening so I went to the FMC for the Harmony test. I was given the low risk result of 1:10,000 which was accurate - our baby was born in January. At the time they didn't reveal the gender through the blood test but the scan was so good that even though I was less than 15 weeks pregnant they could tell us we were having a boy. The FMC were wonderful. I will never forget how it was, waiting for the results. Wishing everyone good news xx

Tranquilitybaby Fri 04-Apr-14 22:29:30

Brilliant news Daytona xx

gunwalloe Fri 04-Apr-14 22:06:37

Congrats keepingthefaith and Daytona

Daytona79 Fri 04-Apr-14 18:28:58

Got my results today - all ok .. Yippeee

Oh and it's a boy

KeepingTheFaith9 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:50:46

Thanks so much ladies, this thread has meant a lot to me - and I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. Wishing you all the very best of luck.
smile

JBrd Fri 04-Apr-14 09:47:48

*girl, oops. just gave you twins by mistake, sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now