... to be shocked that DS' reception class were asked to dress up today as a character from a childrens' book and 2 boys turned up as.....

(49 Posts)
LadyOfTheFlowers Thu 04-Mar-10 22:16:04

.... the Kray Brothers??

Now correct me if I am wrong, but these are NOT characters from a childrens book.
All the other kids were dressed up as pirates from Treasure Island and disney princesses etc etc.

They came complete with handguns.

I am probably going to be told I am being stupid and DS had no idea who they were dressed up as so I guess it does not matter, but I was shockedand thought it was wrong.

Was it?

usualsuspect Thu 04-Mar-10 22:16:52

sorry but that made me grin

BelleDeChocolateFluffyBunny Thu 04-Mar-10 22:17:29

I know this is wrong but......ROFL!!! What were the parents thinking!!!YANBU.

paisleyleaf Thu 04-Mar-10 22:21:40

My DD's in reception, so this bookday stuff is new to me.
It's been quite an eye opener.
Disney's 'Cars', Supermario. I'm sure there are books floating around as spinoffs from some of these films/true stories/games etc. But it's not the point is it?

cakeywakey Thu 04-Mar-10 22:22:06

What children's books are those kids reading? The big book of East End crims? PMSL

Dollytwat Thu 04-Mar-10 22:23:27

that's funny - I've been trying to get my DS2 to decide what he's going to wear next week and I can honestly say THAT never occured to me!

choosyfloosy Thu 04-Mar-10 22:23:35

what???????????

oh good grief

i guess that's not what the original organisers of WBD had in mind

sorry but slight grin

Mumcentreplus Thu 04-Mar-10 22:24:25

Wah???.gringrin...I mean at least stick to the brief..they could have come as bugsy Malone and his gangster mate..lol

BelleDeChocolateFluffyBunny Thu 04-Mar-10 22:26:03

or James Bond.

lol It tells you a lot about the parents tbh.

Vallhala Thu 04-Mar-10 22:26:26

Sounds to me like the parents were peed off with Book Day for whatever reason and did it to take the rise.

Odd way to make a point though!

bernadetteoflourdes Thu 04-Mar-10 22:27:04

Now you are avin a larf arentcha Reggiewink

paisley that's 4 and 5 yr olds for you. Once they have it in their minds that they want to dress up as a character that isn't from a book it's kinda hard to force them into something more bookish. My DS went as luce skywalker one year and said "I bet I could find a book of Star Wars somewhere" as his excuse.

Dollytwat Thu 04-Mar-10 22:30:21

I wonder who the children thought they were?

Can you imnagine the conversation?

'but I want to go as Bob the Builder mummy'

'that's not a book darling, I know you can go as the Kray twins'

'who are they mummy?'

'Well, let me tell you a little bedtime story'

wastwinsetandpearls Thu 04-Mar-10 22:31:26

grin
Do you live in the east end?

Mumcentreplus Thu 04-Mar-10 22:31:34

weeel..technically The Krays have a bio..so thats a book hmm..perhaps they are East-End gangster type parents and its the bed-time book ..are you havin a bubble?grin

Mumcentreplus Thu 04-Mar-10 22:32:36

Once upon a time there was 2 bruvvers..grin

BelleDeChocolateFluffyBunny Thu 04-Mar-10 22:32:51

You can actually buy star wars books though overmydeadbody, ds has one. There's loads of them, all spin offs from the movies.

I wonder who they will dress up as next year? Hannibal lecter? Jack the Ripper?

troublewithtalk Thu 04-Mar-10 22:37:14

grin I like parents with a sense of humour and perspective!

cakeywakey Thu 04-Mar-10 22:38:49

<whispers> MumCentreplus they'd be having a giraffe, a bubble is a Greek (bubble and squeak) grin

BarryKent Thu 04-Mar-10 22:39:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mumcentreplus Thu 04-Mar-10 22:40:48

hahah..not where I come from..cakey

cakeywakey Thu 04-Mar-10 22:44:22

Are you in Greece then? grin

My PIL live very near to the cemetery where the Kray family are buried. We've even seen people picnicing near the graves hmm when we take the graveyard shortcut into town.

Mumcentreplus Thu 04-Mar-10 22:49:37

I wish! grin...means *taking the piss*..but I'm sure you are correct in the traditional terms..* ahem *

cakeywakey Thu 04-Mar-10 22:52:38

I am a bit of a traditional Laandan gel smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now