to want people to stop saying cupcakes and call them fairy cakes instead?

(181 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Mon 26-Oct-09 15:49:18

I don't know why I care really.

I just think that they should be called fairy cakes like days gone by <mists of time emoticon>

Saw Hummingbird cupcake book in a shop and thought should be Hummingbird fairy cakes.

Or is it just me?

cornsilk Mon 26-Oct-09 15:50:48

Yes I agree. <cat's bum emoticon>

cupcake123 Mon 26-Oct-09 15:52:23

I'm forrin, so I always feel a bit weird saying fairy cakes - they've always been cupcakes to me (hence the name...)

serenity Mon 26-Oct-09 15:53:05

I call them fairy cakes. Cupcake is a bit too American for me. It irks me the same way it does when DCs use words like elevator, or diaper (which they do deliberately to wind me up, evil little rats)

LetThereBeRock Mon 26-Oct-09 15:53:26

I think of fairycakes as being a specific type of cake and smaller than cupcakes.

MinkyBorage Mon 26-Oct-09 15:53:38

yanbu!!! Often think the same

said Mon 26-Oct-09 15:53:46

No, no, I agree. Cupcake is being foisted upon us by some Cupcake Committee. Why weren't we invited to the meeting?

Pluginbaby Mon 26-Oct-09 15:53:52

Buns!

ADealingMummy Mon 26-Oct-09 15:54:17

I prefer the name Fairy Cakes too

I thought cupcakes were bigger than fairy cakes? And have a different icing- buttercream rather than ordinary?

ClaireDeLoon Mon 26-Oct-09 15:55:39

Fairy cakes are different though - smaller like LetThereBeRock says. And cupcakes have frosting and fairy cakes have icing.

emsyj Mon 26-Oct-09 15:56:14

But fairy cakes and cupcakes are not the same though... fairy cakes are little and have thin 'normal' icing with (preferably) hundreds and thousands on them - and cupcakes are larger, and usually have fancy buttercream-style icing on them, and possibly extra decorations. I would call a small sponge cake with no filling and normal type icing on a fairy cake, and anything larger or more advanced plus with fancy icing a cupcake. Simples!

Blu Mon 26-Oct-09 16:00:16

They are BUNS!

Pluginbaby Mon 26-Oct-09 16:00:27

Big buns and little buns then grin

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 26-Oct-09 16:00:33

Oh Emsyj please don't ruin a perfectly good AIBU thread with your rational explanations grin

Still prefer fairy cakes though, it's a nicer name. I just feel all cats bum mouthed about it, same as when my daughter saying when are we stopping for gas, and put the bag in the trunk.

said Mon 26-Oct-09 16:01:21

Well, cupcakes have turned up in force and are ousting teh humble fairy cake then. They're big iced (American) muffins really, aren't they?

ClaireDeLoon Mon 26-Oct-09 16:01:29

Buns are bread rolls! Burger buns

Or sweet doughy things like Chelsea Buns. Yum.

LetThereBeRock Mon 26-Oct-09 16:01:46

They are not buns. Buns are quite different.

LetThereBeRock Mon 26-Oct-09 16:02:24

No they aren't like muffins either.grin

SweetEm Mon 26-Oct-09 16:05:35

YANBU - they should definitely be fairy cakes or buns!

It's a bit like crayfish - the american version (cupcakes) are altogether larger and more agressive and the native fairy cake is basically doomed.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 26-Oct-09 16:05:51

Oh no, buns are iced buns, chelsea buns, yum yums.

Fairy cakes are all cakes in cases with icing or something on top, whatever their size, it just seems that the behemoth version are called cupcakes.

I blame Nigella Lawson.

emsyj Mon 26-Oct-09 16:06:21

I would be irked by someone referring to a GENUINE fairy cake as a cup cake tho! So, YANBU.

EyeballsintheSky Mon 26-Oct-09 16:07:01

No no no. Fairy cakes are little things with a splodge of buttercream or something on. Cupcakes are at least twice the size and have a thick thick sickly layer of icing on top.

Fairy cake
Cup cake

LetThereBeRock Mon 26-Oct-09 16:07:02

Fairy cakes just have a thin layer of icing as has been mentioned. Not a heap of frosting like cupcakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now