to be annoyed that ds's teacher told him a spider is an insect?

(209 Posts)
pofacedandproud Tue 13-Oct-09 16:16:52

Ok ds is in reception, but still. I have always told him a spider is not an insect but an arachnid, insects have 6 legs, etc, but today he came home and said 'Mrs X told me that I could bring a spider to school as the letter this week is I for insect'

I asked him if she really suggested a spider for 'I'. And he was very sure she had. So I told him again a spider was an arachnid. I know it is a small thing but it does annoy me, her telling them that. Yes I know she does an amazing job with 30 children, and she is great, but still.

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 13-Oct-09 16:30:13

no a tomato is a fruit.

I would be much more concerned about my DS's being told a tomato is a vegetable than being told a spider is an insect at that age grin

pofacedandproud Tue 13-Oct-09 16:30:28

grin DiamondHead. Yes they've done A. I wouldn't do that to poor ds, can you imagine, I might be an annoying parent but there are limits.

I don't know why tomato doesn't bother me as much. I mean yes I'd still point it out but it is not as blinking obvious as a spider not being an insect. It has 8 legs! It doesn't have antennae! Doh!

itsmeolord Tue 13-Oct-09 16:30:38

Wrong, many many main courses contain fruit.
Pork and apricot.
Prokm and apple.
Duck a l@orange
Moroccan dishes often use fruit.
Indian dishes often use fruit.
And so on.

Put her in the stocks and pelt with rotting tomatoes.

FlamingoBingo Tue 13-Oct-09 16:30:54

ROFL grin Disenchanted.

GibbonWithAnAppleBobbingBibOn Tue 13-Oct-09 16:31:05

and let's not start on coconuts...

It's good that you explain to DS that a spider is not an insect. But the fact is that many people assume it is. Just as many as assume that a tomato is a vegetable (ditto cucumber, marrow, etc).

Children cope with these things, and with the idea that not everyone has all the facts, so i don't think it's worth getting worked up about.

TheHeadlessWombat Tue 13-Oct-09 16:31:37

It might be treated as a vegetable in the culinary world but it's still a fruit. Just as colloquially a spider could be considered to be an insect but it isn't.

Why object to one but not to the other?

itsmeolord Tue 13-Oct-09 16:31:40

What the fuck is prokm? I have invented a new species. I shall classify it as a mammal that eats arachnids and fruit.

pofacedandproud Tue 13-Oct-09 16:32:13

Ah yes Disenchanted that would go down so well grin

I was thinking about I is for 'invertebrate' Do you think she'll hate him?

FABIsInTraining Tue 13-Oct-09 16:33:19

Is he really allowed to take a spider in to school????

Tomatoes are fruit so if you are going to argue it is fine to call them vegetables you lose the argument about a spider not being an insect.

stillstanding Tue 13-Oct-09 16:33:31

Incidentally (apart from your obvious confusion re tomatoes) YANBU. The teacher is wrong and that is annoying.

But goodness, it must be hard to be a teacher.... All those children hanging on your every word and then going home and telling their parents who then think you are completely ignorant and unfit to teach. We expect teachers to know better and I know they should but I would hate to be judged on this daily basis. When I think of all the guff I have told my children ... blush

GibbonWithAnAppleBobbingBibOn Tue 13-Oct-09 16:33:59

itsmeolord you're making me laugh with your zealous tomato fruit/veg posts grin

At 5 I would play it safe with igloo personaly.

CheerfulYank Tue 13-Oct-09 16:36:19

We call them "creepy crawlies" b/c covers worms, etc, but when I taught preschool and we did a creepy crawly unit I did tell them that a spider was NOT an insect.

edam Tue 13-Oct-09 16:37:57

Tomatoes may well be fruit but in cookery which is where most of us come across them they are used as a vegetable.

Spiders have never been insects! Don't think teachers should be telling children 'facts' that are just plain wrong.

The one that really irritates me is when people call chimpanzees monkeys. No, no, no, no no!

itsmeolord Tue 13-Oct-09 16:38:02

Gibbon - it is NOT a laughing matter! Nor vegetable matter...... Tis a fruit.

ChunkyKitKat Tue 13-Oct-09 16:38:03

Plenty of time to correct this gross misconception grin

pofacedandproud Tue 13-Oct-09 16:38:19

Let's get one thing straight! I am not confused about a tomato being a fruit! angry

I was merely saying it would annoy me less that the spider thing.

I think she was thinking of a toy spider. We have one too, hence ds's confusion about bringing it in. We have a toy invertebrate. We don't have a toy igloo though. Hmmm. what shall send in? Any suggestions?

pofacedandproud Tue 13-Oct-09 16:39:52

Thankyou edam!

TheDevilEatsBabies Tue 13-Oct-09 16:40:37

the point here is that the teacher has blatantly told the child a piece of spurious information when the child has been taught the correct genus.

vegetable can be used as a general term for tomato as it's the next class up.

so vegetable is split further into fruit, vegetable, nut, etc.

if we are going by this then mini-beast can be used as an all-encompassing umbrella under which to put arachnids, insects, bugs, etc.

but an arachnid can't be an insect.
unless it has two of its legs chopped off its body and stuck onto its head with glue.

itsmeolord Tue 13-Oct-09 16:41:34

Edam - see my post of 16:30:38 It explains things quite coherently. FGS.

I may flounce over this. And it will be everyone elses fault.

TheDevilEatsBabies Tue 13-Oct-09 16:42:16

po faced; you should send in the invertebrate.
she probably thinks that's an insect too.

pofacedandproud Tue 13-Oct-09 16:42:26

<basks in the glow of TDEB's righteousness>

2shoescreepingthroughblood Tue 13-Oct-09 16:42:55

so a tomato is an insect and a spider is a fruit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now