to want to have a poo in peace once in a while?

(66 Posts)
Grisette Mon 21-Sep-09 21:33:21

Dh gets this pleasure every day when we stop all the clocks cut off the telephone, prevent the dog from barking etc while he spends half an hour every morning "contemplating his day" in the bog. I NEVER get to have a quiet poo, without being interupted by DD looking for something, or needing a wee erself, having to play peek a boo or sing to DS to keep him happy, or the doorbell or phone ringing. It makes one rather anally retentive, let me tell you.

Faddles Mon 28-Sep-09 11:36:02

Why doesn't B&Q stock child sizes toilets? Our house came with a bidet. I'd much rather rip it out and replace it with a second toilet for the small people in my house who can't hold on. Better than all sitting down together in a bathroom full of potties first thing in the morning when everyone's busting to go.

Starbear Sun 27-Sep-09 22:03:29

ladies, ladies. Why don't you just do the same as the blokes. I used to suffer with IBS and my Doc told me I need to relax. So I put Ds in front of the T.V take my 'Grazia' to the loo. It works wonders.

LibraryLil Thu 24-Sep-09 22:27:47

Hahahahaha, what a great thread, it's really made me laugh! My DD is 15 months old and STILL insists on coming into the loo with me, sometimes grabbing toilet paper and stuffing it in her mouth as well. My DH has a lovely time in there, first thing in the morning (twice if he's going to work), all by himself!

Still I had plenty of years in there on my own before DD was born, so guess I can't complain that she wants to keep me company. My neighbour said that two of her three children (now all growed up) were exactly the same.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with "poo at Paul's" on the brain!

PeedOffWithNits Thu 24-Sep-09 19:49:26

PMSL at this thread, it is one of the things they don't tell you in the pg/baby books "you will not go to the loo in private for the next 12 years"

I love Mrs Large in the book "Five minutes peace" where she is trying to go have a bath with her tray of breakfast.....SO true to life!!!

BosomForAPillow Thu 24-Sep-09 19:30:19

Cyradis, your post reminds me of a good friend whose mum yelled "Can't I even have a bloody poo in peace?!" thinking my friend had knocked on the door (as a child). It was actually another tenant in the block (with shared bathroom) who she didn't know very well. grin

Grisette Wed 23-Sep-09 18:58:34

Sod Paul's house, I'm going to Diddl's house.

diddl Tue 22-Sep-09 16:34:27

We all have books in the bathroom.

Sometimes we say we´re off to the library!

Wigglesworth Tue 22-Sep-09 16:33:02

I take the paper or a catalogue to the bog with me when I go for a shite, my DH gets offended and thoroughly repulsed by my actions. He says thats what sweaty builders do.

diddl Tue 22-Sep-09 16:24:12

Thats cat, of course.

Vinomum Tue 22-Sep-09 16:24:01

What a fab thread! My ds1 has just gone through potty training and to encourage him along we gave him a sticker every time he produced anything on the potty. Now, whenever he accompanies me to the toilet (which is most of the time), he says 'well done mummy, would you like a sticker?' grin

diddl Tue 22-Sep-09 16:23:11

No respect forhubby in this house.

I often wander in for a chat as I know he can´t escape!!

scroobiuspirate-the caz sits on hubbys lap-then when he flushes, puts paws on seat to watch it disappear!! grin

thesecondcoming Tue 22-Sep-09 16:14:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DownyEmerald Tue 22-Sep-09 15:39:31

YANBU - Early on dd's life I complained that my human rights were being violated - no private poos (or wees) and having to do childcare while in the shower just seemed so unfair.

Now dd is 3.5 it's exactly the same. And I swear, if ever dp drives me to the edge and I snap, it is the fact that when he goes for a poo or a shower he just shuts the bathroom door and does what he has to do that I will rant on and on and on about.

MoChan Tue 22-Sep-09 13:17:59

Men spend all that time on the toilet in order to avoid engaging with the rest of the household, I am convinced of it. They are *stealing* a few moments (hours?) of peace, and oddly enough, their privacy is respected.

If I disappeared into the bathroom for more than about three minutes, however, there would be an outcry...no matter what I am doing in there, my SC are banging on the door saying "I need the toilet", as if it was pretty cheeky of me to go in there in the first place, when there was an outside chance that they might want it...

GoldenSnitch Tue 22-Sep-09 12:23:28

diddl - Hubby was there when DS was born but I only got to 3cms before it was decided that DS had been in distress for long enough (36 hours) and needed to come out via an EMCS so I never got to pushing (and pooing)

DC2 is due to Dec but I've already been told I will probably need another section to avoid the same problems.

At least I get to keep my number 2's to myself grin

it's always the bloody cat who decides to come and sit on my lap when i get some poo 'me time'.

MissM Tue 22-Sep-09 11:51:47

I'm reading this at work and crying with laughter. I have to read books to mine (3.5 and almost 2) - it's the only way I am actually able to sit down for long enough.

DH on the other hand always seems to find a minimum of 15 minutes to go each morning, even when he 'has to leave really early today'.

thell Tue 22-Sep-09 11:01:18

Morloth Tue 22-Sep-09 10:23:23

LOL in our house you have to announce your plans to poo, tell anyone who wants to bathroom to go now - while you are finding your book...

Just close the door ignore the phone/doorbell.

MintyCane Tue 22-Sep-09 10:21:22

YANBU I have been thinking the same thing for 12 years now grin

StillSquiffy Tue 22-Sep-09 09:56:15

YABU

Rather like visiting exotic destinations, you should have done all your poos before your children were born.

countrybump Tue 22-Sep-09 09:53:04

This is so true - one of the best things about returning to work for me was that I was able to go to the loo unaccompanied!

My DS likes to know what I'm doing, and so does the dog! If I close the door it either gets opened by DS or my very large dog lies down the other side of it so I can't get out when I'm finished - punishment for not allowing him in in the first place!

clumsymum Tue 22-Sep-09 09:37:48

Oh this is SUCH a familiar situation to me.

I CAN'T "go" if I have an audience, don't even like it if anyone in the family knows where I've gone.
I do find these days, when dh has a gone to work and ds at school bliss.

Over the summer hols it seemed the easiest time for me was when ds's guitar teacher came to give his lesson. I got a whole 1/2 hour to myself, once a week. Guess what I did?

diddl Tue 22-Sep-09 09:36:54

GoldenSnitch-

Did you give birth with hubby there?

GoldenSnitch Tue 22-Sep-09 09:27:02

I send DS to fetch me things while I go just to get him out of the room... cars, blocks, blooks, anything...at least I get a few seconds peace while he runs off on his little errand.

Poo-ing definietly has to be a private function for me. T'is the one thing I will never do in front of DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now