to be cross with friends son who has hacked up dead pidgeon

(111 Posts)
FoJo Sat 27-Jun-09 20:30:55

We live in a lovely street with lots of children aged 5 - 11. Earlier in the afternoon we spotted a dead pidgeon in the gutter opposite, not mauled, just lying there. DH said he'd move it 'later' and put it in bin but he forgot. Later on I was looking out of the window and saw 2 10 year old boys who live in street by it. One videoing on his phone while the other hacked it up with a stick, there are now feathers and gunk all over. I should have told him to stop straight away but for some reason didnt. I eventually opened the door and asked if he was going to clear it up and needless to say he went a bit pink and said it had already been like that (it hadnt!) He;s a really nice boy but Its now really bugging me and dh that this horrible mess is opposite our house. Do we snitch on him to his parents (our friends) or just bite the bullet and clear it up ourselves? I can understand the morbid curiosity that made him do it, just annoyed at the aftermath being left in the street!

HumphreyCobbler Tue 30-Jun-09 10:39:59

lolol that some folk think it is an indication of potential serial killer tendencies

gagamama Tue 30-Jun-09 10:36:43

I cut the head off a dead blackbird using a spoon when I was about 9. It took about half an hour and my friend and I had to do shifts because it was quite arduous. I also remember being fascinated by the intestines, liver and kidneys from a fox-mauled rabbit I found strewn over a field. I even dug up my dead goldfish when I was about 4 to see whether my mum was telling the truth about it going to heaven. A curiosity about death is natural, especially when so many adults bullshit kids with all kinds of fluffy euphemisms for what is actually a natural, inevitable and unfrightening consequence of life.

Just shovel some sand over the mess and forget about it.

Firstly - the gutter opposite? How territorial are you?

Secondly - it'll be gone by morning.

onagar Mon 29-Jun-09 11:38:50

I was more squeamish as a kid, but most boys would do that out of curiosity. It's probably even educational.

The filming sounds odd, but it actually makes good sense to film just about everything when you have a simple means to do so. A new part of our culture there I think as people seem to automatically take a picture now of things to save describing them.

I would ask the boys to clear it up, or askt eh parents to ask the boys to clear it up. Only fair really.

As a child I was fascinated whenever I came across a dead animal and if I got the chance would examine it closely, opening it up, poking and proding it etc.

I once found a sheep's (intact) stomach floating in the water at the beach and I spent the rest of the day examining it on the sand, it was fascinating and I learnt loads. The stomach was still fll of grass too and some of the intestines where attached.

I am not a psycho, just fascinated with living things and how they work and would have liked to have bene a doctor.

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 11:34:22

A bit grisly. I'm not sure that curiosity is erved by bashing it up with a stick hmm I would speak to his parents and get them to ask him to clear it up.

The DCs in our street had a funeral for a dead mouse a few weeks ago. It had flowers on it's grave and DD spoke over the grave.

yuk yuk yuk... the only bit thats disturbing is the filming part, other than that they were prob just curious.. still yuk though..

SGB - God yes I remember Lewin and his 'interesting' style of teaching. Sorry again for going o/t, don't think I have the CAT function btw?

Theresa Sun 28-Jun-09 14:22:09

Blimey, was not expecting such a debate & i thought long and hard about the spelling before typing it, but still got it wrong!! I wasn't really so bothered about what they were actually doing (although not very nice!) it was more the 'who's going to clear it up' that bothered me! Anyway, someone/something has as it was gone this morning, just a few feathers left!

MAMM! Oh yes. She was a great teacher, in her way (well, once you were old enough not to be scared shitless of her)... Do you remember Mr Lewin? Every time those 'no one forgets a good teacher' adverts were aired I used to think of him...
I will CAT you and we can continue this without boring the knickers off everyone else...

Billyjean - you are a mere baby (meant in the nicest possible way - my school did atr least teach me vaguely good manners)!
Gosh SGB you are old school then... literally! We prob have loads to discuss, do you remember Miss Brodie (sic) perchance? Best/most harsh French teacher ever, she used to tell me off for having sleeves rolled up. It was a pretty strict school in those days [happy Malory Towers emoticon]
Well, goodnight, and well done us for not outing each other on here!

BillyJeanIsNotMyMother Sun 28-Jun-09 00:44:55

Yeah it was in the middle of the Heath (think it still is)

MAMM: GOodness! Well I was there 75-82. There is another MNer who was there around the same years as you, whose older sister was one of my mates, though I have not seen her on here for a while. BJINMM - ah, well I wouldn't have known you then... Hadn't the school moved from Wemyss Rd by then?

BillyJeanIsNotMyMother Sun 28-Jun-09 00:34:10

I like pigeons
City slicker, mos def.
Meat eater - absolutely!
Billy Jean... ooh exciting, when were you there? I still have fond memories of the place

BillyJeanIsNotMyMother Sun 28-Jun-09 00:24:04

SGB and Monkey me and my sister went there too (only for a year for me though)

Nahui Sun 28-Jun-09 00:21:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HIJACK alert - sorry about all the dead pigeons and all!
Oh blinking flip SGB I have no CAT, but I was there 79 - 86...you prob don't know me. I just picked up from your posts that you were a BHS girl. 2 years above me were all the cool gals, Matilda Quiney, Ranji, Deb Stokes et al... hope not giving too much away.. I don't know how to be in touch otherwise without giving away my name?!
Our school motto was something dreadful like 'knowledge is now nor more a fountain sealed'.

CornishKK Sun 28-Jun-09 00:10:11

And I'm a girl and I remember my sister and I finding a dead crow, flattening it with a see-saw and then trying to get the corpse to balance in a tree. It entertained us for quite a while.

The pigeon was dead, the kids are not going to grow up to be serial killers - but yes they should clean up the mess.

I love animals, I would never harm an animal but I was fascinated with dead stuff as a kid. I even dug up my sister's gerbil about two weeks after his funeral just to have a little look.

We grew up in the country, it was dead animals and smoking in barns or nothing in terms of leisure facilities.

MAMM! Squeeeee! Who are you? Give me a hint, at least, or CAT me.

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:59:02

Points finger at Billyjeanisnotmymother and screams Ted Bundy.

SGB - yep... um Wemyss Rd giving too much away? Sixth Form Common room? BHS is right!
But yep O Levels and slightly too young for Boss but still loving it!

BillyJeanIsNotMyMother Sat 27-Jun-09 23:57:42

Well I'm a girl (last time I checked0 and remember being 10 and my friend running round to my house to tell me there was a dead rabbit in the field. I was excited and we both prodded it with sticks for ages.

Lissya Sat 27-Jun-09 23:55:37

Hmm... M&MM says too young for the BOSS... yet has O levels not GCSEs... <strokes chin>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now