Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be cross with friends son who has hacked up dead pidgeon

(111 Posts)
FoJo Sat 27-Jun-09 20:30:55

We live in a lovely street with lots of children aged 5 - 11. Earlier in the afternoon we spotted a dead pidgeon in the gutter opposite, not mauled, just lying there. DH said he'd move it 'later' and put it in bin but he forgot. Later on I was looking out of the window and saw 2 10 year old boys who live in street by it. One videoing on his phone while the other hacked it up with a stick, there are now feathers and gunk all over. I should have told him to stop straight away but for some reason didnt. I eventually opened the door and asked if he was going to clear it up and needless to say he went a bit pink and said it had already been like that (it hadnt!) He;s a really nice boy but Its now really bugging me and dh that this horrible mess is opposite our house. Do we snitch on him to his parents (our friends) or just bite the bullet and clear it up ourselves? I can understand the morbid curiosity that made him do it, just annoyed at the aftermath being left in the street!

LupusinaLlamasuit Sat 27-Jun-09 23:05:54

Oh boys will be boys.

If ever there was a dodgy justification for random violence, that is it.

I do hope my 3 DSs will never find it fun and interesting enough to film the hacking up of a poor creature.

huge big deal, it's time we all stopped collectively apologising for future psycho-killers in the making.
It's just a gross/borderline serial killer thing to do and I would be livid if a child of mine behaved like that.
Ok I may be in a slightly bad mood but ffs that is disgraceful behaviour, end of.

FAQinglovely Sat 27-Jun-09 23:08:51

PMSL @ Soupys 21.29 post grin.

I'm not sure how curious 10yr old boys hacking up and already dead animal means they're going to turn into mass murderers or anything.

Boys (and some girls) often LOVE that sort of stuff and can't wait to see the insides of it.

My own DS1 and 2 (8 and 5) were rather roughly inspecting a large dead moth the other day - ok not quite the same thing - but they had a good tug of his wings seeing how far they stretched out.......and of course one came off blush grin

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:12:07

shock at the comments on this thread!
rofl at kimi's straight to the point "ted bundy". grin

Honestly, it's normal, normal, normal.
I would say nothing. You'd look pretty stupid to tell tale on this.

LupusinaLlamasuit Sat 27-Jun-09 23:12:19

I think a bit of respect for a once-living creature is in order TBH. I am not mad keen on my sons pulling the legs off daddy longlegs either and would always stop them.

I have even managed to cope with my fear of spiders to catch them in a glass and put them outside rather than have them get squished unnecessarily.

And I don't think being meat eaters justifies disrespect either.

hacking at a dead animal is depraved behaviour and I for one would be booking a child psychiatrist if it was my child.

Nancy66 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:13:58

they didn't kill the bird - it was already dead.

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:14:03

sorry but grin at your posts - depraved behaviour and getting a pschiatrist involved!

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:14:36

Reminds me of science lessons and cutting up various dead animals. What a bunch of sickos we were.

Nancy66 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:14:50

I'd be seeking an adult psychiatrist for anybody who thought that two boys being curious about a dead animal was in any way wrong.

LupusinaLlamasuit Sat 27-Jun-09 23:17:24

So it's OK to hack at and film living things, so long as they're already dead?

hmm

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:18:42

I dont understand how you can hack at a living thing when it's dead.

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:19:15

I believe vets do this all the time.

Well call a doctor pronto then Nancy!
I just think it's a bloody disgusting to do, and honestly, saying it's just a boy thing is the most feeble excuse ever. Like it's ok for a boy to be a pscho in waiting?
Disclaimer: I eat meat

Nancy66 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:20:41

ok - it's a kid thing then.
I used to burn ants under a magnifying glass.

KerryMumbles Sat 27-Jun-09 23:20:58

If they had bit the head off and smeared the blood all over their faces and HOWLED then yes, maybe a psychiatric consult is in order....

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:21:05

How does it make a psycho? Really, interested how this jump is made?

LupusinaLlamasuit Sat 27-Jun-09 23:21:09

Semantics. Things that were once alive. Would it be OK, for example, for them to do this to your pet?

Or your child?

KerryMumbles Sat 27-Jun-09 23:21:36

pmsl @ hercules

i think i'm in for my first mumsnet ruck! But I agree with lupus. FFS it's a frigging gross thing to do, I wouldn't allow it from my daughter, why do people think it's acceptable from boys?

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:23:13

It's a pidgeon, not a child. And dead bodies of people are cut up all the time too.
As a teenager I saw lots of dead animals being cut up. Didnt make me a psycho.

Hercules, hyperbole from me, I admit it. And yes Nancy, I get you re the ants thing. But just yuck all round, really.

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:23:51

Personally I'm not fussed whether it's boys or girls who do it.

TheCrackFox Sat 27-Jun-09 23:24:30

It is pretty gross but very unlikely that they will turn into Ted Bundy.

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:24:33

Of course it's yuck. So is picking your nose but I'm pretty sure dd has a good go at this and probably eats it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now