to think that Spot books are just really really badly written?

(151 Posts)
emkana Mon 04-May-09 22:27:20

I have to make up my own words to them.

And don't even get me started on the Mr.Men books. Hate them.

And as for Thomas the Tank Engine... they make me lose the will to live.

dilemma456 Tue 05-May-09 01:16:33

Message withdrawn

lowrib Tue 05-May-09 01:19:53

I love Spot, sorry. Especially the flaps!

Mr Men are boring though.

mumeeee Tue 05-May-09 15:31:11

YABU. My children loved Mr Men and Spot when they were little.

WorzselMummage Tue 05-May-09 15:33:46

That bloody Bear Hunt books makes me contemplate launching myself out of the bedroom window.

I hated it so much i but it in the bin.

WowOoo Tue 05-May-09 15:38:06

My son and I both love/d Spot and Mr Men.

But am with you on Thomas.
We make it up and change the words/ voices to see if he's paying attention.

(hopefully he's not so i can stop!)

pinkstarfish Tue 05-May-09 16:11:54

They can be a bit tedious, but a lot of them were written many moons ago! Charlie and Lola I find annoying...she said then I said then Marv said then I said and then charlie said.....arrrg

Sycamoretree Tue 05-May-09 16:24:29

Mr Men - well, it was a shocking revelation to me and my DH just how shit they really are.

I had kept all mine from childhood. They had sat on DD's shelf until she was about 3. We dusted them off, she even got a poster with all of the on and put it by her bed....and then we started to read and by god they truly SUCK!

Worst of all, DD loves them and will ALWAYS request one. DH and I fight over who reads the MM book and who gets to read a chapter of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (she's nearly 4 now).

SPOT, ditto. Though we've never bought them. We just got given an annoying one with the sonic buttons.

Thomas...also double grrr. We got given a mini box set for DS when he was about 18 months. Tedium is not the word.

But I actually LOVE charlie and Lola Starfish!

Poshpaws Tue 05-May-09 16:26:31

Thomas and the Hurricane - my Dss' favourite book, but I actually tell them 'No. Find something else for Mummy to read' as I loathe it so much!! And Bear Hunt!!!!

Oh, and if anyone has the misfortune to acquire any Brum books - bin without reading. Tedious bubbles with 'Way to go Brum', 'What ya gonna do Brum?' and 'Brum saved the day' thrown in the middle of a pointless storyline where Brum whirls his wheels and twirls his handle is too much <<and breathe>>.

branflake81 Tue 05-May-09 16:32:22

Ooh I really like Mr Men - I find them quite fun to read.

GreatGooglyMoogly Tue 05-May-09 16:32:30

Beatrix Potter is my pet hate - so violent!

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 05-May-09 17:31:57

yes, i had to skip the bit in one of the beatrix potters when the animals get a beating for being naughty.

hardly conducive to sleep.

mrsbabookaloo Tue 05-May-09 17:35:39

I hide the Mr Men books at the back of the bookshelf...I can't put my finger on what exactly it is that makes them so boring to read..but they are like a form of torture.

Horton Tue 05-May-09 19:25:24

Mr Men, Spot and Thomas are all awful.

YANBU at all.

Love Beatrix Potter, though.

MrsMellowdrummer Tue 05-May-09 21:42:08

Anyone read Potter's Tale of the Fierce Bad Rabbit?

Brutal. shock

Noonki Tue 05-May-09 21:52:56

unfortuately Mr men books are only allowed to be read by men (and there sure as hell isn't a little miss anyone in this here house)

so that's me off that one..

thomas books are surely a form of mental torture...

spot..only has pictures as far as my kids are aware....

and don't get me started on frigging Noddy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

piscesmoon Tue 05-May-09 21:57:54

I don't think it matters what you like as an adult-DCs have different taste and it is what they like that counts.
DS1 loved Thomas and much as I loathed them I always read them-he chose them at the library and we must have done the whole series (which is long). Luckily DS2 and3 didn't like them. They all loved Spot and the Mr Men.
I love Beatrix Potter but they weren't keen.
I like reading the Bear Hunt-I find that most DCs do.
We used the library a lot and they had a free choice. Sometimes they humoured me and let me read my favourites.

snowybun Tue 05-May-09 22:27:34

Am I the only one who likes Thomas books.
Ds has mr Tickle which I don't mind reading at all. The only books I have hidden are 4 books he was given two were lift the flap bible story books and although the stories are fine(I am a christian) it's the amount of faps they had to open on each page took flipping ages to read.
The other two were just plain hideous one was about sharing and was wrote in the style of the two children talking with 'says molly' then 'says sarah' at the end of each sentence all the way through the book.

ILoveDolly Tue 05-May-09 22:36:35

Oh we got some tomas books from the TV series. Never heard of the characters before but they were EVEN WORSE.

Hate Mr Men.Shame DD adores them!

We both love Julia Donaldson books though

sweetkitty Tue 05-May-09 22:40:46

Hate Spot

MrMen not too bad, I tend to miss bits out and make up my own bits blush

Thomas boring

Give me a good old Julia Donaldson, I am liking the Princess and the Wizard at the mo

and spot is just so bratty....

edam Tue 05-May-09 23:00:53

Snowybun - no, you aren't alone! I love the original Thomas stories. All based on real incidents... but then, my father drives steam engines for fun so I've had a lifetime of playing with real trains, possibly a slightly different perspective to most mothers. grin

(The one about the Old Lost Engine 'Duke' makes me cry as it's true - he was found, by Revd. Awdry, in his little engine shed which was hidden under a landslip when the railway was abandoned. Real engine, Prince, now restored and runs on the Ffestiniog Railway in N Wales smile).

Horton Tue 05-May-09 23:02:14

The Fierce Bad Rabbit is fab. Also Two Bad Mice and poor old Tom Kitten nearly getting eaten. I used to terrify (enjoyably, I promise) my much younger sister by rolling her up in a duvet and putting real butter and salt and pepper on her head before 'cooking' her in front of the stove. Happy memories.

Julia Donaldson is fab. We are really enjoying Tyrannosaurus Drip at the moment (except my bloodthirsty child can't see why they shouldn't eat the duck bill dinosaurs).

ILoveDolly Tue 05-May-09 23:04:48

I got told off by DD for kicking a stick 'in case it's Stick Man'

mamadoc Tue 05-May-09 23:43:32

Mr Men bad

Spot worse

but both works of literary genius compared to Peppa Pig!

and why has noone mentioned Beatrix Potter. The classic ones are fine Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddle Duck (although that may be just familiarity) but MIL who likes to buy improving books for DD aged 2 has recently bought us 'The tale of the pie dish and the patty pan' neither DH nor I could understand the convoluted plot and it had DD shouting 'want go sleep now' by halfway through!

ja9 Tue 05-May-09 23:45:13

agree wholeheartedly emkana!

hate spot books especially but mr men and ttte and drive me insane

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now